BBO Discussion Forums: Reporting abuse - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reporting abuse Is there any concequences to use tjhe bottomleft button?

#1 User is offline   fimre 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-01, 01:11

At every user's profile appears a button entitled 'Report abuse'. Many times (sorry to say: too many) I need to use it. Rudeness, deliberate bad results, harrasment became common on BBO. I do not experienced any consequences of the report. I would ask the BBO admins, if they read the report or that button were to be a 'safety valve' which let you off steam?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-01, 11:46

Note: I am not associated with BBO, but have played (if you can call Midnight KOs "playing") against Barmar frequently enough that he'd recognize me and we could and have had discussions.

I know, from previous discussions here and elsewhere:
  • abuse@ gets a *lot* of traffic.
  • Things are investigated.
  • Many - many - people are suspended or banned, including IP bans for repeat offenders or attempts to create new accounts to avoid bans.
  • This frequently is a result of *patterns* of behaviour, not a single hand (or report to abuse@). Of course it's easier in BBO to do a pattern search based on a single report than it would be IRL.
  • The person reporting *will not* receive any information about the result of the investigation (in general; I assume that certain egregious things might get a response past the "thanks for reporting").

A lot of people do in fact use it as a way to let off steam, for which I hope there's a "recovery fund" set up (and if I meet one of the abuse@ people at a tournament, I would hope I could offer a contribution). Many things that are reported are simply fine, too, just "not bridge the way the reporter plays it". I know I went for 1700 into nothing a while back, because I read the auction *incredibly* wrong. I also know I went for 500 into nothing because I clicked 5 and 5 came out; I also have gone +240 because I meant to press the Alert button and hit Pass instead. I hope if I have been reported to abuse@, they have determined that these are just things that happen (potentially while D (a mouse) UI). Certainly I have never heard otherwise.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   sarahl 67 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-13, 02:00

View Postfimre, on 2020-June-01, 01:11, said:

At every user's profile appears a button entitled 'Report abuse'. Many times (sorry to say: too many) I need to use it. Rudeness, deliberate bad results, harrasment became common on BBO. I do not experienced any consequences of the report. I would ask the BBO admins, if they read the report or that button were to be a 'safety valve' which let you off steam?

Unfortunately I have been unable to log onto BBO for the last 3 days. the advice I was given has not helped. Can you please explain to me why connection has been disallowed? if in actual fact it has been .... I have many friends and enjoy the cameradery on BBO ........I am sick to death of players mnainly chinese and Indian Japanese and Indonesians booting me from table and the abuse is becoming very disappointing too. In the relaxed room players are refusing to give undo's and "experts" booting you from the table because of a wrong bid. I have been harrassed by players and told never to play the game again, I resent being told I am an idiot by an expert in fact I resent being called an idiot by anyone. I am still using the old format as I find this more user friendly............. is this the reason why my connection has been stopped? I understand that there is another relaxed room set up. Would it make any difference if I download the present format to my logging in I hope I will be able to play bridge again soon regards Patricia Thomis sarahl 67

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-13, 02:47

View Postsarahl 67, on 2020-September-13, 02:00, said:

Unfortunately I have been unable to log onto BBO for the last 3 days. the advice I was given has not helped. Can you please explain to me why connection has been disallowed? if in actual fact it has been .... I have many friends and enjoy the cameradery on BBO ........I am sick to death of players mnainly chinese and Indian Japanese and Indonesians booting me from table and the abuse is becoming very disappointing too. In the relaxed room players are refusing to give undo's and "experts" booting you from the table because of a wrong bid. I have been harrassed by players and told never to play the game again, I resent being told I am an idiot by an expert in fact I resent being called an idiot by anyone. I am still using the old format as I find this more user friendly............. is this the reason why my connection has been stopped? I understand that there is another relaxed room set up. Would it make any difference if I download the present format to my logging in I hope I will be able to play bridge again soon regards Patricia Thomis sarahl 67

You don't have to download anything to use the current version of BBO client. Just run an up to date browser (Chrome is a good choice) and open bridgebaseonline.com, using your usual nickname and password.

If you have friends on BBO why don't you open a table yourself, instead of collecting abuse from unknown hosts?

You can also try tournaments where you will rarely be abused and will sharpen your game too.

#5 User is offline   nico06 

• Pip

Posted 2022-January-27, 09:23

I was insulted: idiot, very asshole and more …
After leaving the table the p following me insulting again, after a Normal commentary that I passed 1.round , so I can‘t haveopening strength!
How can that be when I reported this the host of the table, that I am booted to play BBO?

#6 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2022-January-27, 10:58

View Postnico06, on 2022-January-27, 09:23, said:

How can that be when I reported this the host of the table, that I am booted to play BBO?

If you mean that the host booted you, he has that power and can even use it without explanation to you or BBO.
If you mean that BBO blocked you, I imagine they will have told you why.

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-27, 23:50

View Postsarahl 67, on 2020-September-13, 02:00, said:

..I am sick to death of players mnainly chinese and Indian Japanese and Indonesians booting me from table

Are there any groups of people that compliment you on your play?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users