BBO Discussion Forums: My cards appear vertically - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

My cards appear vertically

#1 User is offline   pommyjohn1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-19, 12:53

Hi Guys
I am a beginner on BBO and cannot get my hand to display horizontally ,what am I doing wrong please ?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-19, 15:14

View Postpommyjohn1, on 2020-April-19, 12:53, said:

Hi Guys
I am a beginner on BBO and cannot get my hand to display horizontally ,what am I doing wrong please ?

Maybe you're West? B-)

Just kidding, but maybe you could describe the problem better.
The default view is (rather poorly) named "pictures of cards" and offers a horizontal view of all 13 cards.
The (better) alternative setting is "hand diagram" which shows your hand in a rectangle with suits in rows.
You are always at the bottom of the four hands, with partner at the top and opponents on both sides.
To toggle between the two views use Settings, which is usually a blue button with horizontal white stripes.

#3 User is offline   pommyjohn1 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-20, 13:02

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-19, 15:14, said:

Maybe you're West? B-)

The default view is (rather poorly) named "pictures of cards" and offers a horizontal view of all 13 cards.
The (better) alternative setting is "hand diagram" which shows your hand in a rectangle with suits in rows.
You are always at the bottom of the four hands, with partner at the top and opponents on both sides.
To toggle between the two views use Settings, which is usually a blue button with horizontal white stripes.

Hi many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, it must have been my laptop because it all came good after a restart

#4 User is offline   pommyjohn1 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-20, 13:03

Maybe you're West? B-)

Hi many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, it must have been my laptop because it all came good after a restart

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-20, 19:58

View Postpommyjohn1, on 2020-April-20, 13:03, said:

Glad it worked out for you. My suggestion was to rotate your laptop 90 degrees :)

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-20, 21:12

Is that “better”? When studying hand records or hands in other media, diagrams are fine, but no one actually holds cards that way, and trying to play from card symbols arranged in a diagram would be very confusing,
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-21, 13:19

View PostVampyr, on 2020-April-20, 21:12, said:

Is that “better”? When studying hand records or hands in other media, diagrams are fine, but no one actually holds cards that way, and trying to play from card symbols arranged in a diagram would be very confusing,

Better is in the eyes of the beholder.
If it was practical to hold the cards in that way (and not visible to other players) I would certainly try it.
Online, I find it helps me visualise the holdings of other players in each suit, which is one of my weaker spots as a player.
As a bonus in the BBO implementation, the dummy shows up in grey which resolves the historical confusion of the traditional view in this respect.
As an unnecessary downside of the BBO implementation, card play is neither centered with respect to the hands (except in vugraph or as dummy) or contained within a bordered area, and it is often hard to figure out who played the first card to the trick unless you look for the yellow bar.
But on the whole I much prefer it and would not go back.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-22, 06:57

View PostVampyr, on 2020-April-20, 21:12, said:

I find the hand diagram view MUCH easier, to the point of the picture view being almost unplayable. It is quite different having your hand fanned directly in front of you and having the cards strewn right across the entire screen. In a real world setting, picture view is to me like having my card taped to the side of the table in an order that is chosen by the wine waiter and that I cannot influence at all.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users