BBO Discussion Forums: Lucky hands or strange bids: A new bet - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lucky hands or strange bids: A new bet

#1 User is offline   doria_55 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge !

Posted 2020-April-18, 02:51

Hi Folks!
it seems that some of you appreciate my posts about "strange" or "lucky hands". Today I propose another one (casually of the same couple that made the auction I talked about in recent days, in particular 7nt without two K..made by guess position of both...)

Look how the couple, winner of another my tournament with 84%, manage hands balanced by 24 point ... obviously it is a pure coincidence that the partner had a white hand .... and bidding spades having 3 card without knowing that partner have 5 ... gambling or superfine technique? to you people!

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-18, 03:25

I think I'd have bid 2 rather than 2 but we probably play in the same place. Partner's hand is not a surprise given that there are only likely to be of 0-4 points between the other 2 hands, it's very unlucky that S has A.

Also for many people responding a spade to the double denies 4 spades and a 4 card red suit, so 5 is quite likely particularly if the club is not short.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-April-18, 04:11

It looks odd at first glance to only raise 1 to 2 with a 24 count but that 24 count has five losers and six quick tricks, a seventh if the low diamond can be established (that is the strongest five loser hand I have ever seen), and partner is marked with a near bust, so won't be contributing more than one trick unless they have a very long suit, so I can see the reasoning. I'd put this one down to good judgement by East. The only minor query I have is if East judged they had nothing on beyond a part score, why not pass 1?

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-18, 04:24

I will add that if this couple is regularly getting 80+%, that is highly suspicious. Scores that high are extremely rare, it requires pretty much flawless play and the random element to go largely in your favour. Even reasonable club players sitting in the beginners evening at my local club rarely reach 70%.

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-18, 04:24

You're the director, act like one.

If you believe this pair is cheating then ban them from playing in your tournaments and report them to BBO.

If you have a genuine question, then post it.

However, engaging in this kind of smarmy, passive-aggressive innuendo doesn't reflect well on anyone.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-April-18, 04:31

View PostAL78, on 2020-April-18, 04:11, said:

It looks odd at first glance to only raise 1 to 2 with a 24 count but that 24 count has five losers and six quick tricks, a seventh if the low diamond can be established (that is the strongest five loser hand I have ever seen), and partner is marked with a near bust, so won't be contributing more than one trick unless they have a very long suit, so I can see the reasoning. I'd put this one down to good judgement by East. The only minor query I have is if East judged they had nothing on beyond a part score, why not pass 1?

Because they thought it might look too suspicious? Because they wanted to keep the bidding open in case North psyched? Although again 2 would be the normal choice.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-April-18, 04:47

View PostAL78, on 2020-April-18, 04:11, said:

Partner can still have Kxxxx,xx,Jxxx,xx where you're quite possibly making 6, so passing 1 is silly. 2 shows a good hand but not this good, 2 would be normal, then you have a decision over partner's 2. Partner could have 10xxxx, xx, Jxxx, xx where again you may well make 5 with A very likely to be right, but could equally have what he has

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-19, 11:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-April-18, 04:47, said:

Partner can still have Kxxxx,xx,Jxxx,xx where you're quite possibly making 6, so passing 1 is silly. 2 shows a good hand but not this good, 2 would be normal, then you have a decision over partner's 2. Partner could have 10xxxx, xx, Jxxx, xx where again you may well make 5 with A very likely to be right, but could equally have what he has

Passing 1 is no siller than bidding 2 if East has decided there is no game on based on the fact that only about four or five HCP are left for South and West combined. It isn't possible for West to have a maximum hand for making the cheapest bid possible, unless North has opened super light on a very distributional nine count or psyched, so West isn't bidding on over 2.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-April-19, 11:58

Doria_55 "Hi Folks!it seems that some of you appreciate my posts about "strange" or "lucky hands". Today I propose another one (casually of the same couple that made the auction I talked about in recent days, in particular 7nt without two K..made by guess position of both...) Look how the couple, winner of another my tournament with 84%, manage hands balanced by 24 point ... obviously it is a pure coincidence that the partner had a white hand .... and bidding spades having 3 card without knowing that partner have 5 ... gambling or superfine technique? to you people!"
+++++++++++++++++++++

Another suspicious deal. East would normally rebid at least 2 or 2NT. Rather than pillory this pair, you should confront them or report them to abuse

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-April-19, 12:15

View PostAL78, on 2020-April-19, 11:42, said:

Passing 1 is no siller than bidding 2 if East has decided there is no game on based on the fact that only about four or five HCP are left for South and West combined. It isn't possible for West to have a maximum hand for making the cheapest bid possible, unless North has opened super light on a very distributional nine count or psyched, so West isn't bidding on over 2.

2 shows a pretty good hand, yes partner will pass a lot of hands that make game, but he'll bid some 4 counts with 5+ spades. Also depending on the scoring and system you may not want S to wake up with 2 over 1.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users