BBO Discussion Forums: bidding after over call - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

bidding after over call how many points

#1 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-29, 15:03

i bid 1 . Opponent overcalls with 2 . My partner has support for my and 6-9 points. what should he bid? 3?
without the overcall he would bid 2

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-29, 15:36

It helps if you give the hands, the vulnerability, the form of scoring etc. Also, a description of your general methods (e.g. 4 or 5-card majors?).

But in the absence of more detail, the best advice us that you should stretch to bid more more level in competition, but not two more. So yes, I would probably bud 3H.

#3 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-29, 16:16

Opening with 5 card major

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-29, 16:32

View Postmaris oren, on 2020-March-29, 16:16, said:

Opening with 5 card major

When you say support, 3 cards, 4 cards ? and flat ? it's much better to just give the hand

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-30, 00:56

In this situation, the fit is often made with a raise to 2 « and a half » so a non-minimal hand if only 3-cd fit.

So no lousy 6-7 flat counts or lousy values such as Qx xxx QJxx Qxx. With such crap, the last thing you want is encourage partner.

With better supports, eg a useful doubleton, honors in the trump suit, Aces and Kings, go for it. Another 7 HCP hand that would nevertheless qualify Axx KXx xxxx xx. But it is minimal for this action. A heavier hand xxx QJx KQJx xxx. Flat but good honor combinations, a potentially useful side suit, 9 HCPs, no wastage in S.

Over the 3H bid, opener should think twice before going on to game and remember that partner might have been only 2H unopposed.

With 4-cd support, try to bid given the « distributional security » (same number of tricks as number of trumps) that the 3-level offers you.

Without the hand, vulnerability, type of tournament, we can’t tell you what we’d have done, but the general advice is if you like the aesthetics of your hand, stretch and bid. If you evaluate the hand features poorly, pass. The bidding is not over yet, partner probably find a bid if they have extras. And that is what you need anyway to envision making 9 or 10 tricks in H if your hand is not that great.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users