Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot forces 5H down one

#1 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-05, 22:40

This was in one of the daylong tournaments which are getting more and more frustrating to play. GIB increasingly seems to make incomprehensible bids.

Since I can't get a true hand record from the daylong, here's a screenshot.

I think I made a reasonable game try of 2S (flatish hand, looking for NT) after GIB raised my hearts. When GIB bid 3H, I signed off in 4H. GIB then bids 4S on 3 card support forcing a return to 5H by me (GIB doesn't have 4 spades otherwise he would have raised immediately). Down 1 (bad split and all). Seriously? Why the gratuitous 4S bid after a a return to the original suit followed by my signoff?

Another example was a cuebid situation where GIB jumped the bidding from 4D to 6NT after I opened 2C. Since when does the 2C responder become the asker / decider. 6N had a play on a guess but 6C was far better.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-06, 15:40

Are you sure that's what the bid descriptions said?

If 2 was a game try, and you bid game over a signoff bid, IIRC GIB plays that as a slam try. So 4 is a cue bid, not an attempt to play 4. I don't know why GIB signed off in 3 when holding a hand clearly worth game opposite a game try.

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-06, 20:46

4 is not a slam try. 4 confirms that *2* was a slam try, but after it wasn't accepted, 4 can't be anything but a signoff. Advanced GIB doesn't understand this; they should turn the simulations off after such a signoff.

Why GIB bid 3, I have no clue - what more could you want to accept?

And yes, GIB often jumps to 6NT for no reason after a 2 opener. Has been the case forever and doesn't appear likely to be fixed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users