BBO Discussion Forums: How well do you know your reverses? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How well do you know your reverses? Light entertainment

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-26, 03:11

I just played in a pickup 7 board IMP team match on BBO.

Reverse auctions (well, auctions in general, but hey) can be tricky even with a regular partner - virtually impossible with a pickup partner. But when it's just some quick fun, sometimes you have no choice.

On board 3 I picked up a nice 1246 16-count and decided I was strong enough to reverse into diamonds.

First up, I had to guess whether 2NT was lebensohl, whether 2 would be the weakness bid, or whether partner didn't really have a system. Luckily, my bid seemed to be 3 either way - but should I pass 3? I decided it would be safest. 3NT is down 1, though would require excellent defense to beat, and 3 was just making, so it worked out OK (though partner misplayed it for down 2).

The very next board, I am rather surprised to pick up an even better hand - a 2146 18 count.

OK, this time 3 must be some strength, but it's still a bit of a misfit. Do I stop at 3NT? I don't like it, so I bid 4. Is a jump to 5 weak or strong? Who knows, but let's give slam a try. Oh dear, a 4-3 fit - but it's somehow cold and I manage to bring it home.

Would you believe it, the very next board I'm staggered to pick up a 1345 20-count. I am very close to misclicking on my second bid, since I'm laughing out loud too hard, but I manage to reverse into diamonds for a third consecutive time.

Still not having a clue what system we were playing, I played for time with 2NT, but after 3 took the plunge into an ice-cold slam. Sadly, partner drew trumps without realising one spade ruff was all that was required :( (Edit - actually, the club break was pretty unlucky; drawing trumps may well be the right line anyway - hadn't really looked too closely.)

An interesting match for sure.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-June-26, 06:35

Bd 3 any bid other than (correction) 2H risks missing a heart fit in most people's opinion..
If you don't know if 2NT is Lebensohl then it's too late. Discuss your methods after the match.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-26, 07:03

Can I have you as a rubber bridge partner :)

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-26, 12:18

The third one we have a gadget for which gets a picture of what's going on in there by accident.

1-1-2N (GF unbal with a semi forced 3 relay, over which you're intending to rebid 3 showing a massive 5-4)-3(5+-5+) and now we know where we're playing, also 3 would set spades over 3 so 4 is KC in hearts here. The danger is bidding 7 which fails when the clubs don't split and partner is lacking J.

#5 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-06, 15:32

i can't believe your reverse auctions with a pickup partner were better than your reverse auctions with me. unfair
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users