• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you reach slam?

#21 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-08, 03:03

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-08, 02:19, said:

Sitting in the South seat, it is quite predictable that North will hold three or more diamonds and will have a problem. That is why it is often worth stretching to enter the bidding over a preempt when you have shortage in the suit opened. It would be interesting to see this as a bidding problem without the benefit of seeing both hands.

Edit: I have posted on Bridgewinners as a problem: https://bridgewinner...m-2-696hzpas8h/

I am not saying, that 3H is without merrit, but ..., I think I would pass, without much consideration.
The main risk is going overboard, ending up on the 5 / 6 level without much play.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 04:15

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2018-May-08, 03:03, said:

The main risk is going overboard, ending up on the 5 / 6 level without much play.

Funnily enough, I am less worried about going too high - we do have plenty of playing strength. I am worried that partner will take us for some defensive strength and make a penalty double of the opponents' contract.

#23 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2018-May-08, 04:43

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-08, 04:15, said:

Funnily enough, I am less worried about going too high - we do have plenty of playing strength. I am worried that partner will take us for some defensive strength and make a penalty double of the opponents' contract.

Sure, but if partner makes a penalty, I will run, at least the first time.
And this is the scenario I was thinking, when I said, we may go overboard.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#24 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 15:48

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-08, 02:19, said:

Edit: I have posted on Bridgewinners as a problem: https://bridgewinner...m-2-696hzpas8h/

Thanks - interesting results there so far too :) For some reason, I'm always surprised when there isn't a right answer!

For reference (for replying to Jeff's comment later), here are all four hands.

#25 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-09, 01:30

The vote is evenly split. Currently 22 votes for 3H, 20 votes for pass and one vote (there's always one!) out on his own with 4H.

#26 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-09, 01:33

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-09, 01:30, said:

The vote is evenly split. Currently 22 votes for 3H, 20 votes for pass and one vote (there's always one!) out on his own with 4H.

Nobody for double? Surely someone can think of a reason to do so...

#27 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-May-09, 01:35

(3)-P-P

#28 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2018-May-09, 01:46

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-09, 01:30, said:

The claim that 4H promises less defence than 3H speaks for themself, ..., you can have this agreement, but this is certainly
non standard.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#29 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-November-08, 20:50

It is true that the hand has 6 losers but by bidding 3 we do not help the partner and we indicate a hand similar to that of opener when instead we have the void at . We can assume that he has 3 cards there and expect two cards in and almost see 4-4-3-2. Missing 28 points, can half be in our line and if the cards turn well? Why play the opponents' game? The possible options are X, 4 , 3 and 4 but 3 does not seem to express well that shape that plays a role here.(Lovera)

#30 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-09, 10:23

With my style of overcalling pre-empts, I'd be more worried about 7-1 than anything else if I overcalled 3 with this hand. I can't imagine North stopping short of 6.

If you overcall on "any hand worth competing on, they're not going to steal from us", North is in a pickle. 12 scattered with hopefully 6 hearts to an honour might be down in 5, a real overcall has a shot at a grand. But at least this hand doesn't have to apologize for their 3 call if they do end up in 7.

I almost like 4 here, if it shows, well not exactly "a preempt over a preempt", but "I think I can take 10 tricks with the other 28 high equally split; but I don't have *cards*." Who's going to get that right at the table absent discussion, though?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#31 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-November-10, 09:42

View Postmycroft, on 2022-November-09, 10:23, said:

With my style of overcalling pre-empts, I'd be more worried about 7-1 than anything else if I overcalled 3 with this hand. I can't imagine North stopping short of 6.

If you overcall on "any hand worth competing on, they're not going to steal from us", North is in a pickle. 12 scattered with hopefully 6 hearts to an honour might be down in 5, a real overcall has a shot at a grand. But at least this hand doesn't have to apologize for their 3 call if they do end up in 7.

I almost like 4 here, if it shows, well not exactly "a preempt over a preempt", but "I think I can take 10 tricks with the other 28 high equally split; but I don't have *cards*." Who's going to get that right at the table absent discussion, though?

Not me since I'm interested in getting to the small slam. But for the grand slam there are some squeeze positions (I think E could have a 7-2-2-2) and a result of 6 (+1) should be great without trying your luck.

#32 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2022-November-11, 12:45

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-May-06, 17:00, said:

As an aside, would you play for the drop or finesse? (I assume drop is obvious, but I'm never entirely sure how to weight the probabilities in this sort of situation).

If East were known to hold at most 1 trump, it would be close whether finessing or playing for the drop is the better chance to avoid a trump loser. But East may hold more than one trump ...

And even if finessing against West were a 50-50 shot, in case of a trump loser your chances for a 3-3 break in clubs are better when East is void of trumps than when he isn't.

#33 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-14, 18:02

So I didn't realise this was an old thread, scrolled back to the beginning, started reading the first few replies and thought "Hm wow, I might be defending 3 here, am I the only one?"

At least I am consistent LOL

View Postcherdano, on 2018-May-07, 17:28, said:

I admit my first reaction seeing the hand was "I might be defending 3 here!"

The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users