BBO Discussion Forums: Consensus on Leading to 1N contracts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Consensus on Leading to 1N contracts

#1 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2018-April-16, 21:20

I've read Bird/Anthias' (pray I'm spelling that right) book on Winning NT leads. I'm wondering what the public consensus is specifically on leading against 1N contracts. Is it generally correct to lead passively v actively? What kind of hands would make this change, if any? Some example auctions:

1 1
1 1N

1 1N

1 1
1N
(No comment)

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-16, 21:57

Bird book isn't only about passive leads.
A 1N 3N auction often leading from Qx in a major is suggested to find partner.
Sometimes you have to be aggressive if you know opponent have a source of tricks..

Passive lead have benefit of possibly not giving a trick away on lead. But the passive leads assumes your side will find the switch when they get in. But it's double dummy so the killing switch is always found. making a safe lead loses a tempo to develop your suit, opps may have their tricks before you get yours as you didn't lead right away.

Gin makes a passive lead. Gets in if gets lucky; find right switch, we duck twice and Gib switches!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-17, 02:53

Just lead normally seems best. If partner cannot overcall at the one level then you're unlikely to find him with a significant holding if you lead aggressively from a short suit. Given that so many players use a short opening these days, and quite a few players tend to rebid 1NT even with a four card major, especially in 2/1 and SAYC - Acol is different - I'd rather lead passively.

Remember that the contract of 1NT is usually the most difficult to declare, and also difficult for defenders too.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-17, 17:41

The only chapter i remember clearly was 1N-3N
Here i agree preference should be to a major suit lead unless you have a lead that jumps out at you.
But if you had such a lead good chance you would have bid.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-April-19, 18:42

Where you want to lead passively is when the opponents have a "tortured" auction and settle into a spot. Something like

1 - 1
1 - 1 NT
2 - 2
2 NT

or

1 - 2
3 - 3

They are unlikely to have much extra to make the contract. The idea is make declarer do all the heavy lifting to make the contract by not giving anything away. So you lead passively looking to make the lead least likely to give anything away.

Normally, against 1 NT, you just make your normal attacking leads. But don't forget to listen to and analyze the bidding.

1 - 1 NT

Opener may have some 4 card majors, but responder certainly doesn't, but has some minor suit length with 6 or less cards in the majors.

1 - 1
1 - 1 NT

See my comments in your other thread asking about an opening lead versus 1 NT. Similar logic applies here.

1 - 1
1 NT

Since a 2 rebid over 1 is a reverse and shows a strong hand, be aware that in this auction is sort of a default with a minimum hand, opener will often have a 4 card suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users