Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bumped out of play Getting bumped out

#1 User is offline   icgoddess 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-January-13, 19:31

Is anyone else experiencing getting bumped out of their game/activity on BBO. I do not lose internet, in fact I’m not bumped out of the BBO site. I’m just be8ng bumped out of my game and taken to the log in page. My internet provider says all my equipment is good and running properly. A retired IBM’er says that since I’m not losing internet and still on a BBO page the problem is with BBO! From the log in screen on! BBO says it’s not at their end. I’m hoping that there are others having this problem and will let BBO know!

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-14, 07:55

Are you sure you aren't just getting booted by hosts or from an automated game due to timeout? It's easy to miss the warning and only some games give you an explanation/confirmation of what happened ("you are no longer playing in this tournament").

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-January-16, 14:02

If you're going to the login page, not the BBO lobby, you ARE getting bumped out of the BBO site. This happens if there's a communication problem between your PC and the BBO server. If it happens frequently, it's either a problem with your ISP or the connection to your ISP.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-January-17, 10:47

Note: if you're on mobile; if you drop from wifi to data (or vice versa), that's a BBO logout.

If you change from one wifi network to another (in my house, from my mesh network to my ISP router's internal wifi), that's a BBO logout.

If you change from wired to wifi (or vice versa), that's a BBO logout.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-17, 13:17

View Postmycroft, on 2023-January-17, 10:47, said:

Note: if you're on mobile; if you drop from wifi to data (or vice versa), that's a BBO logout.

If you change from one wifi network to another (in my house, from my mesh network to my ISP router's internal wifi), that's a BBO logout.

If you change from wired to wifi (or vice versa), that's a BBO logout.

In my house also if you go into the bathroom (where wifi is iffy, but enough for whatsapp and others) or kitchen (where there is an extender).

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2023-January-19, 03:53

View Postbarmar, on 2023-January-16, 14:02, said:

If you're going to the login page, not the BBO lobby, you ARE getting bumped out of the BBO site. This happens if there's a communication problem between your PC and the BBO server. If it happens frequently, it's either a problem with your ISP or the connection to your ISP.

I am pretty sure there is a problem with the BBO timeout algorithm. This happens to me frequently when I am having no problems with any other site. Yesterday while bidding some hands I got bumped at least twice. Other days I have had even more bumps. I have done tests when this happens and I can have continuous data arriving from elsewhere but BBO bumps me.

It can get quite annoying when I have set up a table and loaded hands and set robots etc and then have to reset and find the hand we are up to in the set I have loaded - BBO does not have a quick way to navigate to middle of a set of hands and continue from there as best I can tell. The two options are to start from the beginning and load sequentially or to load the hands individually from anywhere in the set of hands.

It frequently happens that I get logged out when I briefly go to another tab in my browser. So I click another tab, click back to BBO and I find I am logged out. As I say this instability can be very annoying.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-January-19, 18:33

View PostCascade, on 2023-January-19, 03:53, said:

I am pretty sure there is a problem with the BBO timeout algorithm. This happens to me frequently when I am having no problems with any other site.

Very few web sites require continuous communication between the browser and the server like BBO does.

Streaming sites send continuous data, but they've been designed to be tolerant of drop-outs -- that's when you see the spinning buffering indicator while the video stops. But many sites will show you an error page if this lasts too long.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users