Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to disable chat I want to disable chat

#1 User is offline   crossen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-November-03, 07:15

The comments on chat are often rude or boastful or patronizing. I find it distracting. How can I disable it when I play? Bu turn it on again when I am host? Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

#2 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-November-03, 09:36

click on your ID or the gear and you will find all options for settings.

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-November-03, 10:36

Using the web version of BBO ( if you launch BBO from www.bridgebase.com , you are using the web version of BBO ) you can't explicitly 'disable all chat'. The older windows version offered that , but we don't think it is such a great option.

What you can do, however, is resize the chat window so that it is small enough that you dont see it (or any of the chat in it ).

To resize the chat window: use your mouse to grab the divider between the top of the chat window and the bottom of the table. Drag this divider down, resizing the chat window as you go.

Uday

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-03, 16:01

The problem with disabling chat is that you won't see a legitimate question from an opponent.

#5 User is offline   crossen 

• Pip

Posted 2009-November-03, 20:18

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds good and I plan to try it.

I have found another answer: the existing font size is very small on my computer screen and . When I reduce it to 8, then the font is too small for me to read, so I don't see it. But if I write to the table, the other three players see my response full size.

None of this is optimal. It is better to be able to respond to appropriate qustions from the other players.

It is sad that this kind of discussion becomes thinkable owing to the level of rudness that presently exists.

For example, in two weeks on BBO, my first two weeks, I have received the following messages (along with some positive ones) verbatim from five different players:

Idiot.

Bad bid.

i9 high card points. What a waste.

This is pathetic.

Two beginners, I am in the wrong place. [leaves]

It seems to me there is a lot of hostility rampant in the game of bridge, and a loss of emotional distance, and an inability to treat it a game and not a life-and-death struggle.

Regards,
Crossen
beginner

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-04, 12:40

Unfortunately, behavior like that is pervasive in the online world. You see it in many online discussion groups, too. It's a psychological thing: people are simply not as polite online as they are in person. It probably has to do with anonymity, as well as not being able to see people's reactions.

In the case of online bridge, I think it goes on because the games and partnerships are so fleeting. They never expect to play with that partner again, so insulting them and leaving has no lasting impact.

Your best bet is to stop playing with randoms, and find people you enjoy playing with. People unlikely to act so rudely with people they know and expect to play with frequently.

#7 User is offline   guptashe 

• Pip

Posted 2023-February-09, 05:28

It has hardly been a month since I have started playing and have already started receiving abusive words like: IDIOT, Bad bid etc. and surprisingly any host by chance doesn't like you for their superiority reasons, they would chuck you out of the table immediately in the mid of a gameplay. I mean is that so serious that people get so annoyed, impulsive and digitally violent that they thrash you out of the table in that rude manner? Suppose if you are losing in this game, does it cause you so much of distress that you are forced to show such rude behavior? You learn any new skill through your experiences and everyone would have started from the beginning. Then why that horrific attitude? Sometime it's so discouraging and unwelcoming that you feel better it is to be refrained from such platform that insults you, demean you for actually no reaason and no mistake. The board and the admins should take some strict action to save this platform from such abusers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users