BBO Discussion Forums: Opening bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening bid

Poll: Opening bid (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you open?

1. 1H (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. 2H (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

3. Pass (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Something else (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-31, 05:30

MPs - Red vs White - You as dealer hold:

What is your call?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:19

One may open this 1 or may choose to pass. This is a matter of style.

Opening this hand weak 2 is a bridge crime, not a style.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:24

As of this moment, I am the only vote for pass. I pass, but I don't feel strongly about it, I can imagine 1H. I agree completely that 2H is not on my list.
Ken

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:32

hi shyams,

Rule of 20 - this is 21 - says open this hand 1, the sixth making it a definite one level opening even at red, I feel.

Not keen on Qx outside the main suits, but the 6-5-2-0 (or 6-5-1-1) shape has great playing strength except if you have a massive misfit.

I agree with MrAce and kenberg that a 2 opening doesn't even enter the equation as you could miss game as partner doesn't need much to help you make one.

As for pass and competing later, well the opponents could be 4 before you can bid again, so pass is not on my radar either.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:37

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-31, 06:19, said:

At these colours perhaps but not/vulnerable, opening 2 planning to rebid 4 does not seem so unreasonable assuming it is not too good. On the other hand, coming from a UK (light opening) style makes this hand a wtp 1 opening.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 08:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-August-31, 07:37, said:

At these colours perhaps but not/vulnerable, opening 2 planning to rebid 4 does not seem so unreasonable assuming it is not too good. On the other hand, coming from a UK (light opening) style makes this hand a wtp 1 opening.

As I said, to me it is a crime. I should have mentioned that it is a crime for me in any vulnerability.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 08:30

1 as especially on these colours it is often now or never.

I stretch the shapely hands with short spades when spade bids by them can get annoying if you don't. Wrong texture/shape/potential/direction and a few other things for a weak two.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-31, 08:34

1 no second choice at these colours/position, 2 would only enter my head in 4th.

If I had better intermediate hearts, 4 would enter my head in 3rd NV.

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-31, 08:42

My style is 1H, but w/r I'd open it 4.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 23:31

I'm the 20th vote and the first vote for 'other'. One might think i'my trying to out-Ken Ken, but it's not so.

First, to the 1H bidders. After 1H 1S 1NT 4S, are you bidding 5C now, or siting for the inevitable doubke? For a pass and pull shows a much betrer hand. Partner might be a bit surprised when they make an overtrick.

Nor do I like 4H which is pretty easy to punish at these colors. 4H shows about 8 tricks, and while I have a 5 loser hand, my suits are too moth-eaten to have much hope of taking 8 tricks without a fit.

And yet the 2H bidders promise too little offense. Partner would never expect game opposite a good fit and 2 cover cards.

Well, if 2H promises too little offense and 4H shows too much for this vulnerability, what about 3H?

About 6-7 tricks with hearts trump, sounds about right. Not much defense, sounds about right. Partner will raise with a good hand and moderate fit, or a couple of aces and a good fit with ruffing values - sounds good. Just preemptive enough that the opponents might find their 7 card spade fit with a 6-0 break instead of an ice cold 3NT. Oncertainly in a blue moon you will go down a lot but when is the last time your opponents cauggt you in 3H? That's my bid.

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2016-September-01, 01:39

Pass.

It is close, 1H is ok as well.
If I choose to preempt, than 3H or 4H, but somehow
I prefer to have a better suit.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 01:53

[Deleted - duplicated]

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 01:53

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-31, 23:31, said:

Well, if 2H promises too little offense and 4H shows too much for this vulnerability, what about 3H?

hi Kaitlyn S,

I like innovation, but "moth-eaten" (your words) 6 card suits pre-empts are not advisable red/white in 1st. Forget about what else you have in your hand, because pre-empts should promise virtually nothing outside, I feel.

I'll deal with the 1 - 1 - 1NT - 4 auction if it arises, in the meantime I will find the best opening bid with a hand that is easy to rebid if the opponents don't interfere. That is a gauge of an opening bid with a light(ish) hand: have you got a suitable rebid?

3s is miles worse (in my opinion) than 2, and 2 is pretty bad.

Nothing personal as everyone's entitled to their view. But many big hitters have also endorsed 1. I am merely a small time card shark in comparison :)

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-01, 02:29

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-31, 23:31, said:

I'm the 20th vote and the first vote for 'other'. One might think i'my trying to out-Ken Ken, but it's not so.

First, to the 1H bidders. After 1H 1S 1NT 4S, are you bidding 5C now, or siting for the inevitable doubke? For a pass and pull shows a much betrer hand. Partner might be a bit surprised when they make an overtrick.

Nor do I like 4H which is pretty easy to punish at these colors. 4H shows about 8 tricks, and while I have a 5 loser hand, my suits are too moth-eaten to have much hope of taking 8 tricks without a fit.

And yet the 2H bidders promise too little offense. Partner would never expect game opposite a good fit and 2 cover cards.

About 6-7 tricks with hearts trump, sounds about right. Not much defense, sounds about right. Partner will raise with a good hand and moderate fit, or a couple of aces and a good fit with ruffing values - sounds good. Just preemptive enough that the opponents might find their 7 card spade fit with a 6-0 break instead of an ice cold 3NT. Oncertainly in a blue moon you will go down a lot but when is the last time your opponents cauggt you in 3H? That's my bid.

Depends what you open as a matter of course at the 1 level. If your openers are generally sound, it's more of a problem, but since we'd open say x, QJ109x, Qx, KQxxx, partner will not double if it's making an overtrick.

I don't think 4 was a serious suggestion at these colours.

The problem with 3 is what does partner do with say xxx, void, AKJxxx, Axxx ? you proceed to go off in 3 instead of making 7.

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-September-01, 10:52

If we find a fit, this will be golden, unless the opponents find their spades. Opponents tend to find their spades. I'm not 100% sure what 1 will gain me, especially because I have one, possibly no, trick on defence. I expect my last decision will be whether to convert -590 into something with double zeros.

If we don't find a fit, it's because partner has spades, and my hand is no help. It's double zero time again.

I can see opening this. I'd do it if my hearts were spades. But this looks like a trap for partner. I'm passing. Unlike MrAce, I can see a 2 call, because at least partner will know that they're not sacrificing against us. Of course he won't know that Kx Ax in the round suits will take 10 tricks (and be zero defence), so it's not like he'll have a good idea whether to sacrifice against *them*.

If I'm playing EHAA, of course, it's an auto-2, probably with a club bid next time around. But partner's going to expect what I have. That's also why EHAA isn't all that popular.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-September-01, 11:11

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-31, 06:19, said:

2. I commit the crime. Am will to compete with 3 if giving the chance.
6-5 come alive.

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-01, 12:11

If I opened 2H I better be willing to bid at the 4 level. At these colors I'm not willing to do that.

There's a poker comparison - I'm 30 blinds deep, so I'm not willing to barrel on the turn with this, so it's fold or shove.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-September-01, 12:34

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-01, 12:11, said:

If I opened 2H I better be willing to bid at the 4 level. At these colors I'm not willing to do that.

There's a poker comparison - I'm 30 blinds deep, so I'm not willing to barrel on the turn with this, so it's fold or shove.

Why? Unlike poker you do have a partner. Show the 6-5 and let partner decide whether you should go pass the 3 level.

#19 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 13:31

View Postjogs, on 2016-September-01, 12:34, said:

Why? Unlike poker you do have a partner. Show the 6-5 and let partner decide whether you should go pass the 3 level.
Very interesting discussion in light of what just happened.

I opened up a 4-table team game. My partner was a 2/1 "expert" and yes, I ignored my own advice and played with an unknown partner. First hand, I had --, AQ10xxx, xx, K10xxx which I think is a lot closer to a 1-bid then the actual example in this thread since I might have 1.5 tricks on defense. (I have 2QT.) I opened 1H. Partner held a 24-count with heart support and after a couple rounds of bidding, bid 7H which got doubled. Turns out I was off a trump trick as well as the ace so 6H doesn't make either. As soon as he saw my hand, I had to find a substitute for the rest of the match.

Funny how a lesser player can't bid a slam without Blackwood and yet that seems to be missing from the arsenal of some experts; the other boards were pretty non-descript so I would have won the match with a novice who knew Blackwood. But you 1H openers on this hand, be prepared to play in a team game and have your partner leave in a huff 30 seconds into the match.

#20 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 13:50

easy weak 2h opener, again partner and the opp need to know we might have this hand type.

Partnership agreements are important, I expect many on the forums to have an agreement to open this 1h which is fine if that is our system. Opening this 2h at this vul is very playable with agreements.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users