Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4th in hand

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-18, 09:33

imps. if it makes any difference, opps are not very good technical players, but are cheating in some way you've not worked out yet (think Ron Schwartz x 2).

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-18, 10:22

2 any conditions. Although, 4 is tempting with ops stopping in 2 - partner probably has something useful for me.

I don't think the opponents cheating influences this, other than to give me the feeling that there is no winning call because they will always make the right decision. I wonder if honest pros felt this way against FS and others.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-December-20, 11:40

2 for me also.

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-20, 12:21

Genuinely would not consider anything other than 2S
The artist formerly known as jlall

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-December-20, 12:24

there has to a punchline surely
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-20, 16:27

View Posteagles123, on 2015-December-20, 12:24, said:

there has to a punchline surely

not really. my partner bid 4 and it got doubled by RHO, and I redoubled holding K KQxx qxxxx qxx. this was -600 when they underled the A of D at t1 (-200 on a heart lead). i thought my partner's 4s was rather excessive, whereas others didn't approve of my redouble (well yeah, i was on tilt by this point).

neither of my teamies agreed with me about bidding 2S in the passout seat. considering we had a Bermuda Bowl gold medalist (4s) and a Olympiad silver medalist (3s) at the other table, it seemed like I might well be talking out of my arse, hence wanting more opinions.

fwiw (not a lot, just a good whine) a few other good decisions from the opps in this match:-

after opening this prime 11, opp 1 found a reopening double of 1NT. his partner, who didn't double, had a 9 count. we went for 500.

opp repeated his kj9xxx suit at the 5 level at red. we didn't double (i should have done, but by now i had the feeling that whatever they had, they'd made the right decision in the bidding) but it's 1 off against 4s making.

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-December-21, 11:41

4 seems like a pretty extreme bid to me.

South does have some information available when two passes occur after the 2 bid.

First, RHO (East) didn't raise which implies probably no more than a couple . That would seem to put 4 in the North hand.

Second, North was unable to find a bid over 2 . Holding some length, the hand may not be suitable for a double with shortness in one of the outside suits, or, just not enough values to bid. The pass also denies a suit and values to overcall. With partner's deduced length, the pass also denies enough for a NT bid.

The one thing that the auction doesn't tell is how the remaining values in the hand are distributed. RHO could have a good hand, but not enough to raise to game with a doubleton. Depending on how aggressively LHO bid 2 , it seems like anywhere from 19-25 HCP could out there between partner's and RHO's hands. Assuming an even split, partner might have somewhere between 9-13 HCP in hand. 13 might be enough for game with a fit, but 9 certainly isn't.

So, 2 seems like a more prudent bid. If partner makes any noise, then South might consider bidding on.

Even being completely shell shocked, redoubling just can't be right.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-December-21, 13:16

View Postwank, on 2015-December-18, 09:33, said:

imps. if it makes any difference, opps are not very good technical players, but are cheating in some way you've not worked out yet (think Ron Schwartz x 2).
Agree that 2 seems sensible.

#9 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 09:07

View Postnige1, on 2015-December-21, 13:16, said:

Agree that 2 seems sensible.

Well yes, and 4 minus something seems self inflicted and redoubled, sorry for the pun, doubly so. However the X and the underlead of A look suss to me.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users