• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-18, 16:21

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-18, 16:54

I have a lot of sympathy. Bidding could go for a number and even a small one would be a likely loss from Wests point of view. They are very unlikely to make this and he is facing a passed hand partner.

4 does not appeal and double rates to get 5 of a minor although my partner will pass unless they have a live expectation of going plus on offence.

East can reopen with a double and hope it doesn't get rewound but it's out there. I blame east for not having 2 more hearts and 2 fewer spades.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-18, 17:26

I have sympathy with both. I have sympathy for East complaining that his partner didn't make a takeout double with three aces and playability in every suit. I also have sympathy for West complaining that his partner didn't make a passed hand takeout double with the perfect shape to do so.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-December-18, 19:38

West passing is completely insane to me. I don't know about the passed hand takeout X but I know I should do them more often.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-18, 21:47

West has an easy double for me. East shouldn't be bidding 5m without some expectation of making it- especially at this vulnerability, so it is fairly safe.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 09:42

east 100% the logic is somewhat circular but undeniable.
N and E are both passed hands so their "average" amount of hcp is generally around 6. S has bid 4h so their hcp power is generally around 8 but opposite a passed hand the range is much wider but still wont often be more than 10. So W 14 + S "10" = 24 leaving around 8 each for N and E. A lot depends on E heart holding for game to have a serious shot and even better
E (in po seat) will be able to do a similar calculation and realize we actually rate to be very close to 14 as a minimum and w/o too much in hearts given the 4h bid. I would x 4h as E in the po seat and be completely unsurprised when 4s makes easily. The doubleton heart just makes a x by W over 4h too risky especially opposite a passed hand.

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 18:32

Just because East is a passed hand does not change the fact that reopening with a double is totally insane at these colours. The 4 opening could be very heavy and we have no defensive tricks if partner does not feel like going for 1100.

West should double - cooperative for me, but guaranteeing a suitable dummy should partner want to bid 4.

#8 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 18:48

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-December-19, 18:32, said:

Just because East is a passed hand does not change the fact that reopening with a double is totally insane at these colours. The 4 opening could be very heavy and we have no defensive tricks if partner does not feel like going for 1100.

Absolutely this
The artist formerly known as jlall

#9 User is offline   all loomis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-19, 22:41

View PostFluffy, on 2015-December-18, 16:21, said:

easy re-opening x. at pairs. young people should re open at any score, it toughens the moral fibre. not bidding with the w hand, beyond a slow pass- i'm already toughened.

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 23:06

Speaking as someone who likes opening 4H in 3rd seat, please double in pass-out seat with the East hand.

As Phil said, West has a risky but reasonable double. East has no excuse for one.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-20, 02:56

I guess it was just bad luck as most people seem to think double is normal.

I bid 4NT and partner said he was going ot lead A and expected me to pass with this. I said that if I would pass hishand without a seocnd thought and if I had a hand were 4 had good play I would probably reopen 4 with a double.

I had to eat my own words because on the next day I had to face same bidding twice and I passed both with AK9x xx Qx 10xxxx and some 3244 10 count

Regarding my decission I run a poll on BW: http://bridgewinners...27-3/?cj=291440

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-20, 11:48

View PostFluffy, on 2015-December-20, 02:56, said:

I guess it was just bad luck as most people seem to think double is normal.

I bid 4NT and partner said he was going ot lead A and expected me to pass with this. I said that if I would pass hishand without a seocnd thought and if I had a hand were 4 had good play I would probably reopen 4 with a double.

I had to eat my own words because on the next day I had to face same bidding twice and I passed both with AK9x xx Qx 10xxxx and some 3244 10 count

Regarding my decission I run a poll on BW: http://bridgewinners...27-3/?cj=291440

I don't understand the poll - you don't say how you play a double of 4. A lot of very top pairs do not play it as pure take out, (particularly in Europe).

But even if it's pure take-out I would probably still pass it with two jacks and potentially good defence.

#13 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-20, 15:04

As I said above, East shouldn't be bidding 5m (which 4NT effectively is) without some expectation of making it. So I'd be passing with the actual East hand.
Wayne Somerville

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users