BBO Discussion Forums: robots again try to double me at 5, then robot forces me to slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

robots again try to double me at 5, then robot forces me to slam

#1 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 13:36

http://tinyurl.com/p8tlug8

Robot seems to think 5H shows 20 points.

Again, redoubling instead of bidding 6 is probably wiser.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 14:48

The main problem with this hand is GIB's expectation that South is required to hold 22+ total points in order to bid 5H, in the context of which 5S is not that bad.

I am not sure that I agree with South's choice of 5H on the hand in question, but that is rather irrelevant to the point. No way should South be required to hold 22 points to bid 5H, whatever hand is in fact reasonable for the bid.

This is a recurring theme.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-10, 15:21

1eyedjack, on 2015-October-10, 14:48, said:

The main problem with this hand is GIB's expectation that South is required to hold 22+ total points in order to bid 5H, in the context of which 5S is not that bad.

This is a recurring theme.

If I was North and for some reason thought south had 22+ I might be bidding 7 that's how ridiculous 5 showing 22 pts is

Isn't 6 ice cold by the way? So why the complaint?

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-10, 16:38

steve2005, on 2015-October-10, 15:21, said:

Isn't 6 ice cold by the way? So why the complaint?
I think his point is that 5HXX+1 scores better. The point is enhanced by the possibility that from North's perspective 6H might not be ice cold (but for the 22 points expectation) in which case 5HXX= definitely outscores 6H-1. I have difficulty getting excited about it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users