BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#20721 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-24, 13:35

View PostEl Kabong, on 2023-January-21, 18:15, said:

The link has her speaking of the Nobel prize as the Noble prize instead of the No Bell prize I guess that's the point. Well, ok.
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers argued over eee-ther or eye-ther, Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn argued over whether some poem was written by Shelley or Keats, I grew up in Minnesota so I would go down to the crick instead of the creek. And in my fairly late teens friends asked if I wanted to go with them to see the Monet exhibit and I said who's Monet. But if they needed some fish to be caught scaled and gutted they could come to me.
You say tomayto I say tomahto, let's call the whole thing off.
Of course no one ever suggested that I be a press secretary. But I also never wanted to be a press secretary.
Ken

#20722 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-24, 14:01

View PostGilithin, on 2023-January-18, 22:42, said:

You preferred it when the press sec just spouted lies that were being passed off as talking points?

The best days for the Trump press secretaries was the year when they went 300+ days without holding a single press briefing. This marked a confirmation of the saying "ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies".

#20723 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-24, 15:33

Sources familliar with the matter said:

A lawyer for former Vice President Mike Pence discovered about a dozen documents marked as classified at Pence's Indiana home last week, and he has turned those classified records over to the FBI, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

This is getting stranger and stranger.
1. Exactly how litigious is the USA? - everyone appears to have a squadron of lawyers wandering around their homes.
2. Are they provided by the government?
3. Do they drink prosecco and eat prosciutto?
4. What happens if they stay in the bathroom too long?
5. Is it possible for the FBI to run out of special prosecutors?
6. How many documents does the US government classify every day?

#20724 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2023-January-24, 18:36

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-January-24, 15:33, said:

[/font]
1. Exactly how litigious is the USA? - everyone appears to have a squadron of lawyers wandering around their homes.

I would tell you but it’s classified.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20725 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-24, 18:47

Strange is truther than fiction.
Opp. sitting West a couple of years back told me he once wrote a report for the US govt that was promptly classified above the level that he was allowed to look at.

Monty Python and the deadly joke.

#20726 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-25, 08:30

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-January-24, 15:33, said:

[/font]

Unbelievably litigious. My father died in 1977. Almost all his (meager) funds were already in my name and I had a list of how he wanted the cash distributed but I decided to hire a lawyer anyway just in case there was something I missed. The main thing I learned was that since most of the funds were in my name and the doctor bills were more than that, I would not have to pay all the bills and, in parceling out the funds, lawyers were at the top of the list for who gets paid first. I paid them for this advice and said goodbye. And I paid the doctor's bills. Actually there was one exception to that. One doctor sent an incorrect bill, I called the office and they agreed it was incorrect, next moth they sent the same incorrect bill, I called the office and they agreed the bill was incorrect, this went on for a while until I sent them a letter saying that if they ever sent a correct bill they would get a check by return mail but otherwise I was done talking to them. They never did. Anyway, if I ever get charged with a serious crime I will call a lawyer, I am sure they have legitimate uses, but good god we are flooded with lawyers.

Well, not provided to me.

I guess I could look it up but I have no idea what this is.

I will not speculate.

I was once at an airport for a connecting flight when they ran out of pilots. We got updates for a while but not much was happening. I imagined the airline folks at a bar asking if anyone there knew how to fly a jet, or wanted to give it a try. Maybe the same approach could work for Special Prosecutors.

Many. We have all these lawyers and they need something to do.

Ken

#20727 User is offline   sharon j 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, boating, camping

Posted 2023-January-26, 07:41

https://www.youtube....ch?v=qicghSVOm0

ATOP SECRET: Our Classified Documents System Is [Redacted] | The Problem With Jon Stewart Podcast

This was both entertaining and informative.

Not sure the link will work. But easily found on Youtube

#20728 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-26, 14:08

View Postsharon j, on 2023-January-26, 07:41, said:

ATOP SECRET: Our Classified Documents System Is [Redacted] | The Problem With Jon Stewart Podcast

Timely! This link seems to work.

#20729 User is offline   sharon j 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:golf, boating, camping

Posted 2023-January-26, 15:53

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-January-26, 14:08, said:

Thank You

#20730 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-28, 03:02

I don't know about time zones and differences between USA and here but is it really April 1 in Florida
Apparently Florida have banned Pink Floyd (De Santis has anyway)
Maybe the wrong thread but people discuss all manner of ridiculous stuff here
If its the wrong thread maybe someone will move it to the hijacked thread

And I should find a reference in case its just satire

#20731 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-28, 03:46

View Postthepossum, on 2023-January-28, 03:02, said:

I don't know about time zones and differences between USA and here but is it really April 1 in Florida
Apparently Florida have banned Pink Floyd (De Santis has anyway)
Maybe the wrong thread but people discuss all manner of ridiculous stuff here
If its the wrong thread maybe someone will move it to the hijacked thread

And I should find a reference in case its just satire

The 50th anniversary release of Dark side of the moon features a rainbow.
The problem is related to the well-known dangers of rainbows.

My understanding is that because rainbows are known to cause homosexuality Gov. DeSantis has ordered an emergency child protection order to prevent the display of dangerous colo(u)r schemes.
In addition, because of the risk of accidental exposure during rain when the sun is shining, Floridians are no longer permitted to go outside when it rains - except after dark.

#20732 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-28, 04:38

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-January-28, 03:46, said:

The 50th anniversary release of Dark side of the moon features a rainbow.
The problem is related to the well-known dangers of rainbows.

My understanding is that because rainbows are known to cause homosexuality Gov. DeSantis has ordered an emergency child protection order to prevent the display of dangerous colo(u)r schemes.
In addition, because of the risk of accidental exposure during rain when the sun is shining, Floridians are no longer permitted to go outside when it rains - except after dark.

So is it real or satire? :lol:

#20733 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-28, 04:54

View Postthepossum, on 2023-January-28, 04:38, said:

So its real or satire :lol:

In the Trump-world it's no longer possible to tell.

Back in the '70's Truman Capote and Hunter S Thompson popularised "New Journalism" where the tools of the novel were used to describe actual events.
In the post-truth world, where everyone has their own truth, fiction is no longer necessary.

#20734 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-January-28, 11:09

View Postsharon j, on 2023-January-26, 07:41, said:

Another good site:
https://www.npr.org/...fication-engine

This is a Fresh Air interview with the author of the book The Declassification Engine: What History Reveals About America's Top Secrets.

#20735 User is offline   Czbornik 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-January-31, 19:45

View Postthepossum, on 2023-January-28, 03:02, said:

I don't know about time zones and differences between USA and here

The prime meridian (0° longitude) runs through Greenwich, England. Therefore, time zones around the world are calculated in accordance with GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). So US EST is GMT -4, meaning "when it is midnight in Greenwich it is 8:00PM in NYC. When it is 2:00AM in NYC it is 11:00AM in Tokyo and 1:00PM in Sydney. https://www.timeandd...om/worldclock/. I hope this helps.

#20736 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-01, 18:40

View PostCzbornik, on 2023-January-31, 19:45, said:

The prime meridian (0° longitude) runs through Greenwich, England. Therefore, time zones around the world are calculated in accordance with GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). So US EST is GMT -4, meaning "when it is midnight in Greenwich it is 8:00PM in NYC. When it is 2:00AM in NYC it is 11:00AM in Tokyo and 1:00PM in Sydney. https://www.timeandd...om/worldclock/. I hope this helps.

Not to question your obvious expertise on the subject...but last I checked, EST was 5 hours behind London. When did they move the continents?

#20737 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-02, 02:23

Things were a little tense between the USA and Russia (USSR) a few years back.
Listen to JFK discussing the problem with General Eisenhower.

Peter Sellers nailed it in Dr Strangelove.
It's hard to imagine how the call would go between Trump and Putin ... it's great to be fine.

#20738 User is offline   Czbornik 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-February-02, 07:58

View PostGilithin, on 2023-February-01, 18:40, said:

Not to question your obvious expertise on the subject...but last I checked, EST was 5 hours behind London. When did they move the continents?

You're right. EST is GMT-5. EDT is GMT-4. Sorry.

#20739 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-02, 18:14

Cbornik said "I hope this helps"

Not it didn't It was extremely and intentionally rude. Also just a coincidence that you randomly showed up here (never seen you before) and misrepresented one of my posts. Given the rather pathetic nature of it and the apparent targetting I am leaning towards intentional targetting again by people on this site. Can't prove that can I. Maybe I need to check timelines and see if it fits into any broader narratives. Mates of **** are we. Maybe people take exception at my need to explain and defend against such attacks. It is important as I am sure you may be able to comprehend to defend such attacks. The phrase "I hope this helps" is usually used in an obnoxious and patronising way, intended to insult and troll. That's my experience of its use. And in the context of widespread trolling on this site and others it looks suspicious does it not? But good for you. You have elicited a response because you know I have to respond to such ad hominem attack. Look on that as a compliment. The alternative is that you are an idiot. So look on the brightside. I am complimenting you for being an obnoxious troll :) And I will keep walking very tall knowing that for some reason I am worthy of your constant destructive attention. There will be people scouring my posts over the years for phrases they can use. 12 years on the site, only 800 logins, still a beginner but hey the trolls need backup

Do people have a problem with rhetorical devices?

Something of an insult to ones intelligence methinks

And one of my biggest and repeated pet gripe is the implicit ad hominem misrepresentation by presenting part of a post out of context. For some reason

Do you people do it intentionally or not realise you are doing it

To me the repeated behaviour such as this by so many is clearly deliberate. I could be wrong

Misrepresentation is very questionnable. All about some dodgy attempt to play power games in argument, or even more broadly across a whole site

Maybe an accident

In case anyone wonders some of us are expected to point out all forms of misrepresentation (and other) on any and all forums
We re not just expected to but actually want to call all forms of it out. We don't like it.

You even took the subset of this sentence "I don't know about time zones and differences between USA and here but is it really April 1 in Florida"

Seems deliberate and possibly malicious to do that, and rather pathetic, all those who engage in such behaviour IMO

I've seen paragraphs taken out of context, whole posts, sentences, but parts of sentences

Maybe we could almost choose random words from a statement to make any sentence we like. Why stop

It also wastes our time and causes us anxiety that we constanntly need to be on the lookout for it

How possibly very damaging and serious untruth is created in such a casual way - are there people who regard these things as casual behaviour not to care about

#20740 User is offline   Czbornik 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-February-02, 20:19

View Postthepossum, on 2023-February-02, 18:14, said:

Not it didn't It was extremely and intentionally rude.

You said, "I don't know about time zones and differences between USA and here." I was simply trying to help you figure it out. US EST is GMT-5. USA CST is GMT-6. USA PST is GMT-8, Sydney, Australia is GMT+11, etc. I was just trying to offer enlightenment. If you were offended that's your problem.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

79 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 79 guests, 0 anonymous users