• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4H on my left, teo passes Do I or don't I

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 07:05

Sectional, mps, no one vul. The 4H bidder on my left is rather intense, not crazy, capable.
I am interested in whether you think a 4S call by me in the pass out seat is suicidal or obvious, or somewhere in between.

Ken

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 07:22

View Postkenberg, on 2015-June-12, 07:05, said:

I am interested in whether you think a 4S call by me in the pass out seat is suicidal or obvious

All white at matchpoints .. can't we have both?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-12, 07:43

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-12, 07:22, said:

All white at matchpoints .. can't we have both?

As in "obviously suicidal'? ;)
Ken

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 08:47

I think it is neither suicidal nor obvious.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 08:54

I'm passing (but I may be wrong).
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-12, 09:04

Glad to hear it. Usually I supply all information with a hand but here I had a reason for not doing so. As I recall, the 4H was not preceded by a skip warning, partner thought a bit, no problem, but it at least seemed to me that he reached for a bid and then quickly moved his hand back and produced a pass card. (He's a straight arrow, he just slipped on this).

If I think a bid is totally clear cut I make it, and I accpet a ruling that it is not as clear cut as I thought. Here it wasn't even close to clear cut imo so of course I passed and of course it would have made 4S. We beat 4H a trick, not a disaster, but below average.

I still am not sure what I would have done had I felt free to make the call of my choice. My guess is that I would have passed. Anyway I was pretty sure that 4S wasn't obvious. Thanks for the confirmation.
Ken

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 09:51

Personally, I think 4S is obvious and that pass isn't a logical alternative.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 11:11

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-12, 09:51, said:

Personally, I think 4S is obvious and that pass isn't a logical alternative.

It is hell of a logical alternative. Not everybody allows themselves to be dragged by opponents. I would probably bid 4 myself w/o UI, but saying that it is obvious is misguided imo. Pd may have a lot of hearts. And even if you catch some minor hcps to cover your minor losers, they will be in front of the guy (E) who is likely to hold them as well.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 11:42

We play Newfie (or Polish) texas here where 4 by them is a transfer to 4 by us but it is off over a flinch.

We tend to not do very well in long KO matches when the opponents find this out early.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-12, 11:43

I think that 4 is obvious at any form of scoring.

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 13:56

I'll just be over by the bar, leaning on this here sig.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#12 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 14:24

I would bid 4 and consider it relatively standard.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-12, 14:24

Ok, some for 4S some for pass, which of course means that I can't bit it after the hitch. My feeling was that 4S wasn't crazy but I certainly wouldn't relish explaining to some skeptical audience why it was of course a clear cut call.

I'll never be sure what I would have done w/o the hitch, but anyway having some votes for and some against matches pretty well with the way I thought of it.
Ken

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 15:48

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-12, 11:11, said:

It is hell of a logical alternative. Not everybody allows themselves to be dragged by opponents. I would probably bid 4 myself w/o UI, but saying that it is obvious is misguided imo. Pd may have a lot of hearts. And even if you catch some minor hcps to cover your minor losers, they will be in front of the guy (E) who is likely to hold them as well.

I don't think anyone denies 4 can work out very badly. But when someone says it's not a logical alternative, I just interpret it as it's not a logical alternative for them because they know they would always do it. Of course I'm not saying that argument would stand up in committee.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 16:42

I would expect 4s to be correct 80+ % of the time. By correct, I mean making or going down less (x'd) than 4h making. Can anyone out there provide us poor uninformed masses what the % is for the term "logical" to count and is it solely based on the bidders perception or does it always have to be a committee?

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-12, 19:58

View Postgszes, on 2015-June-12, 16:42, said:

I would expect 4s to be correct 80+ % of the time. By correct, I mean making or going down less (x'd) than 4h making. Can anyone out there provide us poor uninformed masses what the % is for the term "logical" to count and is it solely based on the bidders perception or does it always have to be a committee?

My thinking in this case was that I couldn't bid, even if I wanted to. Mr.Ace said "I think it [a 4S call] is neither suicidal nor obvious." which is how I saw it and I think that's enough to mean I can't do it. Another way to say it: Given the glitch, I had more confidence than before that 4S would make.

Here is something that makes a difference to me, although I don't think it makes a difference in the committee rulings: In this case, the problem was self-inflicted. I am not on any campaign about pard, these things happen. But had he taken a little more care, I would not have had a problem. The time for thought did not cause a problem, we get time to think after a 4H opening whether or not a skip bid is announced, in fact I think we are supposed to take time to think whether or not a skip bid is announced. But his manner of bidding did cause a problem.
That's different from some complex auction that just naturally will require thought. Sometimes there is simply no way to bid in tempo unless you just do it and hope you have done it right. I am more sympathetic to those cases.
Ken

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-12, 20:19

4!s. The hitch could mean a lot of things.

While I expect values across I don't expect a lot of spades.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 00:42

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-12, 11:11, said:

The reason I don't think pass is a logical alternative is that we have a strong 6c spade suit and a void in the opponents suit. Partner is marked with heart length so they can have considerable values (likely in the minors) and be unable to act, especially if they have a shortage in a side suit. I expect 4S will make often enough to justify bidding it for that reason alone. However bidding 4S has even more ways to win because it might also be a profitable save, or not get doubled, or push the opponents to the 5 level, or the field is making +140 our way so +50 is already a bad score, or partner leads a minor and blows a trick against 4H for -480 vs -450 etc....

Hence my conclusion that defending 4H on this hand isn't a logical alternative which is how I comment if polled by a director.

#19 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 01:12

View Postgszes, on 2015-June-12, 16:42, said:

The definition a logical alternative is an "action, among the class of players in question and using the methods of the partnership, that would be given serious consideration by a significant proportion of such players, of whom it is judged some might select it."

However there isn't any consensus about exactly what quantity "significant" or "some" represent. In a practical sense the director would poll a handful of players of an appropriate level and make their decision based on that.

The part of the rule that most people misunderstand, is that simply giving consideration to another call isn't enough. Some of your peers must actually choose an action as their first choice for it to be a logical alternative.

#20 User is offline   filostine 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-13, 02:04

I would (bid) at imps and pairs but not for money...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users