• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2014-January-04, 13:16

Surfing the various bridge sites today, I found the following Poll Results: www.richmondbridge.net

Two Over One (G.F.) 47 %Standard American 36 %Precision Club 12 %Richmond Relay 3.7 %Washington Standard 1.5 %
What is popular in your area of the world?

Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-04, 13:23

Acol, benjaminised or otherwise, would account for the vast majority in my area.

Your figures add up to 100.2%. The odd 0.2% would be roundings, of course, but what I found faintly interesting is that only 5 systems are played in Virginia. Of course the poll only reflects the views of those who bothered to respond, and it is possible that the wording of the question did not include "Other" as an option.

There are versions of precision club that differ from one another by a far greater margin that the difference between (say) 2/1 and SA, so I don't know whether it is particularly useful to split the latter but not the former.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-04, 13:49

Here in northern CA its the typical US mix of mostly 2/1 with the occasional SA or strong club pair.

We do see quite a bit more weak NT than other (US) places I've played and Flannery is weirdly popular.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-January-04, 15:29

The mix does vary strongly by region.

The overwhelming favorite in Idaho is 2/1+Bergen. The occasional weak notrump experimenter; very very few Precisionists (and the few there are are the ones who learned it in the 60s.)
Montana sectionals, on the other hand, still run about 75-25 in favor of SA, plus a pool of young and enthusiastic Precisionists mostly in Missoula. (Several other regional quirks: lots of people who play Jacoby but not Texas, and lots of people who play 'Crack' discards -- a lavinthal variation I can never quite remember, but something like a high spot asks for a switch to the other suit of the same color while a low spot asks for a switch to the plain suit of the opposite color.)
Both Montana and Wyoming have a few adherents of Montreal Relay. None of whom are able to explain it properly.

A trip to the big city (Salt Lake) will still be mostly 2/1 but bring a few more weak NT folks into the mix.

When I moved to Fairbanks AK in 1993, the club was about 2/3 SA and 1/3 Precision. The Precision faction was dying faster than it was attracting converts by the time I left in 2011. There was one pair of true believers in 2/1 there in 1993, but they moved away in 1994 and were never replaced ---- despite the fact that Anchorage was at least 50-50 in favor of 2/1 that whole time.

In most every smallish town there is a group of people who play the pet treatment of one of the local strong pairs. In Idaho Falls there was a fad for intermediate jump shifts; in Fairbanks it was short club (everyone opened 1C on 4-4-3-2; the diehards opened 1C on 4-4-4-1 because they had no 5-card suit, and partner was more likely to respond to 1C than to 1D on his Qxxx xxx xxx xxx. Heh.)

#5 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-06, 09:46

Even more interesting would be system-pair by masterpoints won.
Like glen Astons table of world-class pairs.
Even local pairs graded by performance-system would be interesting.
My inclination is Precision, Wa-Std perform well because much needs
to be discussed to begin to play them.
Discussion gets results.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-19, 11:42

I had never heard of Washington Standard so looked it up. It appears to be a basic 5 card major up-the-line system with GF 2/1 after 1M and Flannery. Why does this need more discussion than the other systems? On the surface it seems like Richmond Relay (5551 apparently) would require more discussion.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-19, 15:18

View PostPrecisionL, on 2014-January-04, 13:16, said:

Surfing the various bridge sites today, I found the following Poll Results: www.richmondbridge.netTwo Over One (G.F.) 47 %Standard American 36 %Precision Club 12 %Richmond Relay 3.7 %Washington Standard 1.5 %What is popular in your area of the world?
In Scotland,
  • Most play Acol (Weak notrump, 4-card majors, Benjamin or Multi/Lucas).
  • Many top players play 2/1 (Strong notrump, 4 transfers, 2-way check-back, Gazzilli, Bergen). For some 2/1 players, 1 promises 4+cards.
  • Strong club (e.g. Nottingham club, Precision, Symmetric relay), Hybrid Club (e.g. Polish Club), Fantunes, and EHAA are less popular.

#8 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2014-March-01, 08:46

View PostPrecisionL, on 2014-January-04, 13:16, said:

Surfing the various bridge sites today, I found the following Poll Results: www.richmondbridge.net

Two Over One (G.F.) 47 %Standard American 36 %Precision Club 12 %Richmond Relay 3.7 %Washington Standard 1.5 %
What is popular in your area of the world?

Can I ask what "Richmond Relay" is?

Thanks!

Gerben
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#9 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2014-March-01, 09:21

Richmond Relay is the old Montreal Relay with an opening 1 promising 5-cards and therefore the s can be as short as one (instead of two).

Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users