• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

quick ruling needed!

#61 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-31, 20:22

View Postgnasher, on 2013-December-31, 18:23, said:

In the context of Law 20F5, a mistaken alert is a mistaken explanation. I know that because it says so:
'Mistaken explanation' here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert (or an announcement) that regulations do not require.

View Postpran, on 2013-December-31, 18:58, said:

As does Law 21B1a

Fair enough. I don't remember now how we got to this point, and I'm too tired to go back and read the entire thread, so i'll just leave it at that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#62 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-January-01, 04:17

So you ask a question in order to attempt to generate UI. The opponent is deceived by your question. When asked you say the reason you asked was to attempt to generate the UI. Is this a bridge reason?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#63 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 05:43

View PostCascade, on 2014-January-01, 04:17, said:

So you ask a question in order to attempt to generate UI. The opponent is deceived by your question. When asked you say the reason you asked was to attempt to generate the UI. Is this a bridge reason?

Is it relevant whether you have a bridge reason or not? So far as I can tell, you're allowed to ask a question even if you have no bridge reason for it, as long as your intention is not to mislead.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#64 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-January-01, 07:15

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-01, 05:43, said:

Is it relevant whether you have a bridge reason or not? So far as I can tell, you're allowed to ask a question even if you have no bridge reason for it, as long as your intention is not to mislead.

If your opponent has been deceived or misled by your question your only defence is if you can show an acceptable bridge reason for asking your question.

#65 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-01, 08:35

View Postpran, on 2014-January-01, 07:15, said:

If your opponent has been deceived or misled by your question your only defence is if you can show an acceptable bridge reason for asking your question.

Which Law says that?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#66 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-January-01, 10:38

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-01, 08:35, said:

Which Law says that?

73F

#67 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-01, 10:47

View Postpran, on 2014-January-01, 10:38, said:

73F

73F applies only "when a violation of the Proprieties described in this law" has occurred. If I ask a question for a non-bridge reason, which Propriety have I violated?

#68 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-01, 12:24

Ha. Sven did a lot better with L20F5 and 21B1 earlier. This offshoot isn't working as well.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#69 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2014-January-01, 12:46

Asking a question, necessarily varies your tempo - Law73D1.

Therefore is subject to the remedies of Law73F if it deceives an innocent opponent.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#70 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-01, 13:14

Asking, alerting, or answering is not and should not be considered part of the tempo of bids and plays. It is not considered a break in tempo by the opponent next to call, for instance, when we take time to explain our auction and he listens before acting. Stretching "tempo" to include all time involved in everything is absurd.

Stopping the opponents' uncontested auction frequently with questions so as to disconcert them is a different matter. Then, you would be messing with their tempo to gain advantage.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#71 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-January-01, 13:15

A question without bridge reason is clearly a violation of Law 74A2 if it deceives and/or misleads an opponent.

#72 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 13:38

View Postpran, on 2014-January-01, 13:15, said:

A question without bridge reason is clearly a violation of Law 74A2 if it deceives and/or misleads an opponent.

I had a classic when my lho asked about a bid... queen ask.

asked about the response...... denies it. Not only does he play the same thing, he was looking at it.

It was just a brain cramp though and he actually blushed and begged us to score up the slam (which went down) without calling the director.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#73 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2014-January-01, 14:03

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-01, 13:14, said:

Asking, alerting, or answering is not and should not be considered part of the tempo of bids and plays. It is not considered a break in tempo by the opponent next to call, for instance, when we take time to explain our auction and he listens before acting. Stretching "tempo" to include all time involved in everything is absurd.

Really? Last I checked "tempo" meant time, timing or rate or similar. If sometimes I ask a question and sometimes I don't that affects the time I take for my call and therefore is a tempo issue. Just as much as if sometimes I twiddle my thumbs and sometimes I don't.

In fact asking and not asking questions are a frequent source of unauthorised information, this is closely related to one's tempo.

In what sense is using tempo to include the time taken at your turn a stretch?
Wayne Burrows

#74 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-01, 14:28

View PostCascade, on 2014-January-01, 14:03, said:

Really? Last I checked "tempo" meant time, timing or rate or similar. If sometimes I ask a question and sometimes I don't that affects the time I take for my call and therefore is a tempo issue. Just as much as if sometimes I twiddle my thumbs and sometimes I don't.
In fact asking and not asking questions are a frequent source of unauthorised information, this is closely related to one's tempo.
In what sense is using tempo to include the time taken at your turn a stretch?
IMO, Cascade is right. We're told that you can't rely on opponent's SC. To avoid UI, you must always ask or never ask, unless you can remember forever, after asking once :)

#75 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 14:39

Only if it annoys or embarrasses that opponent, or interferes with his enjoyment of the game (whatever that means).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#76 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-01, 15:41

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-01, 10:47, said:

73F applies only "when a violation of the Proprieties described in this law" has occurred. If I ask a question for a non-bridge reason, which Propriety have I violated?

One might observe the following passage of L73D.1:

..... However, players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side....

Notably, a question falls amongst those things that are a variation in tempo/ manner.

#77 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 15:47

View Postaxman, on 2014-January-01, 15:41, said:

Notably, a question falls amongst those things that are a variation in tempo/ manner.

Well, only if it's actually a variation. The player might routinely ask in this situation.

#78 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 15:50

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-January-01, 13:38, said:

I had a classic when my lho asked about a bid... queen ask.

asked about the response...... denies it. Not only does he play the same thing, he was looking at it.

It was just a brain cramp though and he actually blushed and begged us to score up the slam (which went down) without calling the director.

If I asked about a bid and was told "queen ask" I would always ask about the response. It wasn't asking me if I had the queen, so I see no reason to tell my opponent whether I do.

#79 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-January-01, 16:18

View Postshevek, on 2013-December-27, 05:07, said:

East intended 3D as natural, North alerted it. No questions asked.

PP against North for alerting East's bid. No UI restrictions on East (UI can only come from partner not from the opponents) so no adjustment.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#80 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-January-01, 16:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-January-01, 14:39, said:

Only if it annoys or embarrasses that opponent, or interferes with his enjoyment of the game (whatever that means).

And do you not find your condition included in "deceives and/or misleads an opponent" ???

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users