• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No CC

#61 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 08:40

If you're going to require CC's, enforce it at the time that makes sense - when buying the entry. Require at least one valid CC to be present before a pair is seated. Done.

#62 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-07, 08:51

View PostTylerE, on 2013-October-07, 08:40, said:

If you're going to require CC's, enforce it at the time that makes sense - when buying the entry. Require at least one valid CC to be present before a pair is seated. Done.

Borrow one from the guy behind you in line, or dig through your handbag at time of purchase to irritate the whole queue.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#63 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:22

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-October-07, 08:51, said:

Borrow one from the guy behind you in line, or dig through your handbag at time of purchase to irritate the whole queue.

And with a little luck the ACBL will enter the 21st century and offer the possibility of entering events online/in advance.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#64 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:28

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-07, 09:22, said:

And with a little luck the ACBL will enter the 21st century and offer the possibility of entering events online/in advance.

Apparently Bridge Winners is offering this for the upcoming NABC.

#65 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:31

View Postbarmar, on 2013-October-07, 09:28, said:

Apparently Bridge Winners is offering this for the upcoming NABC.

How are Bridge Winners able to offer ACBL entries?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#66 User is offline   ddrankin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:33

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-07, 01:36, said:

But he's not granting you permission to change systems for the duration of the event. He is requiring you to play SAYC temporarily until you have properly documented your original system.

A pair which brought two convention cards is obliged to play the same system for the entire session, so why should a pair which has already broken the rules be exempt from this requirement?

But they are not exempt. They are required by the laws not to vary their system. But we are talking about a pair that has not documented their system, which may be SAYC or close to it. If they had copied the SAYC onto a regular convention card, and presented them to the TD, he has no option but to allow it. I don't think they are changing systems, since they had no documentation of one before.

Once they have documented their system, whatever it is, it would be petty not to allow it, unless the TD is prepared to prove it is not their system. Good luck with that.

#67 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:40

Properly filled out = includes names of players,

#68 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:40

View Postddrankin, on 2013-October-07, 09:33, said:

But they are not exempt. They are required by the laws not to vary their system.

Not by the laws, by ACBL regulation. In the EBU you are permitted to change your system every round, if you like.

#69 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-07, 10:00

I was thinking that many people have a few handy, and could just adopt one of those for the partnership, perhaps using a post-it to add the correct names. "Well I play this one with Bob, how about we just use that?" (glances over it) "OK sure." Seems pretty common, I have done it myself more than once. Of course that won't help when neither player has even one card handy.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#70 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-07, 10:15

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-07, 09:31, said:

I don't know how they're doing it. But if you go to their site, it says:
Posted Image

#71 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-07, 11:00

View PostTylerE, on 2013-October-07, 08:40, said:

This would be a sensible addition to the CoC — but until the addition is made, it's not in force, and is highly unlikely to happen.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#72 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 11:16

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-07, 09:31, said:

By saying to the ACBL, "We'd like to offer ACBL entries," and the ACBL saying, "OK."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#73 User is offline   ddrankin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 11:51

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-07, 09:40, said:

Not by the laws, by ACBL regulation. In the EBU you are permitted to change your system every round, if you like.

No. By the laws. It is an election made by the ACBL and forms part of the law.

#74 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-October-07, 12:44

View Postddrankin, on 2013-October-07, 11:51, said:

No. By the laws. It is an election made by the ACBL and forms part of the law.

This is indeed what the ACBL has done. However, a careful reading of the relevant laws leads me to question the approach. It seems to me that what the laws actually say is that the RA is permitted to make pertinent regulations, not to change the law itself. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone argue otherwise.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#75 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-October-08, 02:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-October-07, 12:44, said:

This is indeed what the ACBL has done. However, a careful reading of the relevant laws leads me to question the approach. It seems to me that what the laws actually say is that the RA is permitted to make pertinent regulations, not to change the law itself. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone argue otherwise.

If you carefully read the first few pages of the ACBL's version of the Laws, you will find that the ACBL is the promulgator of the Laws used in its events, so it can rewrite them as it sees fit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#76 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-October-08, 07:47

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-08, 02:44, said:

If you carefully read the first few pages of the ACBL's version of the Laws, you will find that the ACBL is the promulgator of the Laws used in its events, so it can rewrite them as it sees fit.

Surprise! I was right - someone argues otherwise. :D

In that case, the only logical reason for not writing the laws as they see fit in the first place (leaving out the bits that don't apply) is that they didn't want to impose their ideas on the rest of the Western Hemisphere. If that's the case, they could just as well have left the "elections" out of the law book, and imposed their changes by regulation. Of course, given the state of ACBL regulations (where are they? What are they? Who knows?) it may be that the LC thought that would be a bad idea. <shrug>

I have a vague memory that some earlier version of the laws explicitly mentioned the possibility of elections, in the Introduction perhaps, and/or that the places where elections were allowed explicitly did so. However, in a quick glance at the 1997 laws I didn't find anything like that, so either my memory is faulty, or it was an earlier version.

IAC it doesn't really matter — the ACBL will do what it wants regardless what anyone else thinks.
--------------------

#77 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-08, 07:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-October-08, 07:47, said:

[]...]
I have a vague memory that some earlier version of the laws explicitly mentioned the possibility of elections, in the Introduction perhaps, and/or that the places where elections were allowed explicitly did so. However, in a quick glance at the 1997 laws I didn't find anything like that, so either my memory is faulty, or it was an earlier version.

IAC it doesn't really matter — the ACBL will do what it wants regardless what anyone else thinks.

1997 Law 61B Last sentence said:

Defenders may ask declarer but, unless the Zonal organisation so authorises, not one another.

(My enhancement)

#78 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-October-08, 08:03

Ah. Thanks, Sven.
--------------------

#79 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-October-08, 18:54

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-07, 09:22, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2013-October-07, 10:15, said:

I don't know how they're doing it. But if you go to their site, it says:
Posted Image

Interesting, I talked recently at our Unit Board about pre registration and offering credit card payment option, and got a very cool response.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#80 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-08, 19:37

The credit card thing I can understand. At low transaction levels (And low means anything less than like $10k/month), the fees on a $5 CC charge will be in the neighborhood of $0.36, maybe more, and that's not factoring in the expense of maintaining a merchant bank account, a POS terminal/card reader, etc.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users