• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brighton 11 (EBU) Bidding after a hesitation

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-26, 11:23

This was from the Mixed Pivot Teams, an event in which the forced changes of partnership adds an element of uncertainty. I don't know how well these partners knew each other, just that they were all strong players. I wasn't the director called:

Result: 5X(N)=, NS+650

The TD was called by EW, who complained about the 5 bid after the agreed hesitation. How would you rule?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 11:32

The X-with-zero-defence-then-call-TD looks suspiciously double-shot-shaped. But at this vul, you could argue that South should bid 5H the first time... hard to say. Did we ask South why he bid 5H? If, when he bid 4H, he thought that 4H is making (and we believe him) then I probably wouldn't adjust the score.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-September-26, 11:46

One of the players at this table asked me what I would've done in the same position. I said I considered 5H completely and utterly beyond automatic.

In fact, if partner doubled at the top of his voice after standing on the table, I would still bid 5H.

From what I recall (without intending any offence to the director involved) I think the director got this one wrong.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 11:48

Score stands. To me the hesitation could easily suggest partner is thinking of doubling rather than bidding on, so 5 may even be the ethical bid, if it's possible the hesitation suggests defending. After all, especially if North is known to have a sense of humour, trumps could be breaking as badly as 5-0 in 4.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 11:57

TylerE, on 2013-September-26, 11:48, said:

Score stands. To me the hesitation could easily suggest partner is thinking of doubling rather than bidding on, so 5 may even be the ethical bid, if it's possible the hesitation suggests defending. After all, especially if North is known to have a sense of humour, trumps could be breaking as badly as 5-0 in 4.

This sounds right to me.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-26, 13:29

VixTD, on 2013-September-26, 11:23, said:

This was from the Mixed Pivot Teams, an event in which the forced changes of partnership adds an element of uncertainty. I don't know how well these partners knew each other, just that they were all strong players. I wasn't the director called:

Result: 5X(N)=, NS+650

The TD was called by EW, who complained about the 5 bid after the agreed hesitation. How would you rule?

A valid judgment [needed for a ruling] cannot be made before knowing the agreements to all the calls.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 14:10

I think there is no LA to 5.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-26, 14:45

Brighton needs a 1-1 ratio of tables to TD's, a dedicated forum, and a new shufflemaster.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 16:26

gnasher, on 2013-September-26, 14:10, said:

That was the view of the Appeals Committee. Ironically, as they were deliberating, it was discovered that at the other table in the match the auction had been identical except that the South hand had passed rather than bidding 5.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-26, 20:15

mr1303, on 2013-September-26, 11:46, said:

One of the players at this table asked me what I would've done in the same position. I said I considered 5H completely and utterly beyond automatic. In fact, if partner doubled at the top of his voice after standing on the table, I would still bid 5H. From what I recall (without intending any offence to the director involved) I think the director got this one wrong.

gnasher, on 2013-September-26, 14:10, said:

gordontd, on 2013-September-26, 16:26, said:

That was the view of the Appeals Committee. Ironically, as they were deliberating, it was discovered that at the other table in the match the auction had been identical except that the South hand had passed rather than bidding 5.
And yet rule-makers and directors deride my suggestion that, in UI cases, if convenient, directors should examine results at other tables, with similar auctions and agreements. There is an analogy with the outside world: where lawyers and legislators continue to fight a rear-guard action against objective evidence (photographs, recordings, fingerprints, videotape, DNA, ...). Judging from the evidence at the other table, the director's ruling seems correct.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 21:05

nigel1, in a case like this, that sounds like a psuedo-psychic-double-shot, not a logical or sane way of applying the laws, at least if you're advocating what I think you're advocating.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-26, 22:11

Verifying that each other table whose results you want to consider had the same auction, and the same agreements, as at the ruling table, seems like a lot of work.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-27, 09:32

The action at the other table(s) can be considered a substitute for polling, so I don't see why it should be disallowed.

But as pointed out, even if Pass is an LA (which the other table action implies it is), what matters is whether the UI demonstrably suggests bidding over passing. Since you can't tell whether partner was thinking of bidding or doubling, it doesn't suggest one or the other, so you can do as you wish.

We don't want to get in the habit of "If it hesitates, shoot it", where successfully guessing after partner's hesitation is essentially disallowed.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 12:06

barmar, on 2013-September-27, 09:32, said:

We don't want to get in the habit of "If it hesitates, shoot it", where successfully guessing after partner's hesitation is essentially disallowed.

I agree. The major crime after such a hesitation is to cater to whatever the hesitation was about ie. making a flexible double which obviously doesn't apply here but in many cases as long as you make an all eggs in one basket bid I'm ok with the ethics.

These threads reminded me of a time I filled in for a Director at a club game filled with Seniors and have never heard so many SCREAMS for the Director in my life. Maybe it's an I better win today in case I'm not here tomorrow attitude?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 16:38

I have often said, listening to director calls at club games, they sound an awful lot like a bunch of kids calling "Mo-om! He's picking on me!"
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-27, 17:00

barmar, on 2013-September-27, 09:32, said:

The action at the other table(s) can be considered a substitute for polling, so I don't see why it should be disallowed.

But as pointed out, even if Pass is an LA (which the other table action implies it is), what matters is whether the UI demonstrably suggests bidding over passing. Since you can't tell whether partner was thinking of bidding or doubling, it doesn't suggest one or the other, so you can do as you wish.

The contracts at the other tables are available but not, obviously, the auctions; so what is a poller to do -- collar every pair who played NS and ask them about their methods and their auction?

The rankings in the event are accessed by a button on the top left in case anyone is interested LOL.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-September-28, 04:59

If you poll people who were playing in the event, I think it's better to poll people who sat in the same seat than people who held one of the other hands, because they may have had the same or a similar problem. So it's worth looking at what happened at other tables for that reason at least.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-28, 08:31

Vampyr, on 2013-September-27, 17:00, said:

The contracts at the other tables are available but not, obviously, the auctions; so what is a poller to do -- collar every pair who played NS and ask them about their methods and their auction?
The director could start with some of the 6 tables that played 4S. It's likely that some had similar auctions. If so, South must have considered pass to be be a logical alternative :)

Vampyr, on 2013-September-27, 17:00, said:

The rankings in the event are accessed by a button on the top left in case anyone is interested LOL.
Well done Vampyr! :)

mr1303, on 2013-September-26, 11:46, said:

One of the players at this table asked me what I would've done in the same position. I said I considered 5H completely and utterly beyond automatic. In fact, if partner doubled at the top of his voice after standing on the table, I would still bid 5H. From what I recall (without intending any offence to the director involved) I think the director got this one wrong.
5 tables played 4SX. Assuming some had similar auctions to that point, the Souths who passed may have felt that that North's double expressed an opinion, probably based on spade values. With extra values but nothing in spades, North might well pass -- albeit reluctantly, as here :)

NB All this is just speculation that the director could check by asking players :)

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-28, 09:23

gnasher, on 2013-September-28, 04:59, said:

If you poll people who were playing in the event, I think it's better to poll people who sat in the same seat than people who held one of the other hands, because they may have had the same or a similar problem. So it's worth looking at what happened at other tables for that reason at least.

They might have even encountered the same BIT.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-28, 14:03

gnasher, on 2013-September-28, 04:59, said:

Yes, I was just saying that I think that it would be impractical.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users