• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brighton 9 (EBU) Modified Astro

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-23, 09:58

This was from the Seniors Swiss Teams. I was not the director who gave the ruling:

1NT was 12-14.
2 was modified Astro, showing either 5-4 in hearts and a minor, or 5-5 in hearts and spades, not alerted.

Result: 2(E)=, NS -110

EW called the TD at the end of the hand when the misinformation came to light. East argued that if 2 had been alerted and explained he would have doubled (takeout), and West would have passed to score +300.

What do you think?

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 10:09

I would ask East why he would double a five card heart suit + a side suit for take out, but would bid 2 over a six card suit (that could be a five card suit).

I would think it makes more sense to double a relatively clear one suiter for takeout and to show my suit over a two suiter, but perhaps East can enlighten me.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 10:22

Utter drivel from East. MI - yes, damage - no.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-23, 10:23

I would make a mental note that any self-serving statements by East in future should be disregarded.

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-September-23, 10:23

VixTD, on 2013-September-23, 09:58, said:

What do you think?

I can't think of anything nice to say, [grumpy]so I won't say anything[/grumpy].
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 13:53

i think i'm happy i don't qualify to play in seniors events.

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 14:00

What do you think?

I think Brighton is on the verge of a new record for frivolous director calls and 2-way sots. Make that shots... or maybe not. Double for TO was available MI or not and probably more attractive without an alert.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 15:35

I'm really pleased to see that the EBU is being unbelievable successful in attracting new players to Brighton.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-25, 07:23

I expected to come back to universal derision, and you haven't disappointed me.

I believe I heard that the score was adjusted to 2X(N)-2, but that may have been a bad dream. I can't see any justification for this, but then again I may not have heard the full story.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-26, 20:44

This was from the Seniors Swiss Teams. I was not the director who gave the ruling:
1NT was 12-14.
2 was modified Astro, showing either 5-4 in hearts and a minor, or 5-5 in hearts and spades, not alerted.
Result: 2(E)=, NS -110
EW called the TD at the end of the hand when the misinformation came to light. East argued that if 2 had been alerted and explained he would have doubled (takeout), and West would have passed to score +300.

VixTD, on 2013-September-25, 07:23, said:

I expected to come back to universal derision, and you haven't disappointed me. I believe I heard that the score was adjusted to 2X(N)-2, but that may have been a bad dream. I can't see any justification for this, but then again I may not have heard the full story.
Judging from the facts presented above, I don't understand the criticism of East or the director. IMO, With his vast experience and the wisdom of age, East might well have doubled if privy to a correct explanation.
East bid 2 assuming RHO has (5+ cards). 2 is more dangerous if East knows RHO has a two-suiter (9+ cards), because unfavourable breaks are more likely. Whether West would pass is less certain but If the director understands and accepts that subtle Senior judgement, his ruling makes sense.

#11 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 06:25

nige1, on 2013-September-26, 20:44, said:

Judging from the facts presented above, I don't understand the criticism of East or the director. IMO, With his vast experience and the wisdom of age, East might well have doubled if privy to a correct explanation.
East bid 2 assuming RHO has (5+ cards). 2 is more dangerous if East knows RHO has a two-suiter (9+ cards), because unfavourable breaks are more likely. Whether West would pass is less certain but If the director understands and accepts that subtle Senior judgement, his ruling makes sense.

That was why I posted it - to see if anyone could come up with a rationale for bidding with the wrong explanation, and doubling with the correct one. It may be that East explained this to the director and convinced them, but this was not part of the story told to me.

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 06:44

You forgot to put the smilies in.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2013-September-27, 11:23

Judging from the facts presented above, I don't understand the criticism of East or the director. IMO, With his vast experience and the wisdom of age, East might well have doubled, if privy to a correct explanation. East bid 2 assuming RHO has (5+ cards). 2 is more dangerous if East knows RHO has a two-suiter (9+ cards), because unfavourable breaks are more likely. Whether West would pass is less certain but If the director understands and accepts that subtle Senior judgement, his ruling makes sense.

VixTD, on 2013-September-27, 06:25, said:

That was why I posted it - to see if anyone could come up with a rationale for bidding with the wrong explanation, and doubling with the correct one. It may be that East explained this to the director and convinced them, but this was not part of the story told to me.
Must East be able to explain to obtain justice? What if East has language difficulties?

Trinidad, on 2013-September-27, 06:44, said:

You forgot to put the smilies in.
Trinidad may not agree but I think the vacant-spaces argument (above) is worth consideration :)

#14 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 11:37

nige1, on 2013-September-27, 11:23, said:

Must East be able to explain to obtain justice? What if East has language difficulties?

Of course! Do you think the directors should be awarding adjusted scores every time there's a failure to alert, a misexplanation or a break in tempo without even considering the likelihood of whether it caused any damage?

#15 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-27, 11:46

Trinidad may not agree but I think the vacant-spaces argument (above) is worth consideration :)

If bad breaks are likely, then all the more reason to play your 5-2 or 5-3 fit with great intermediates at the 2-level, rather than risk finding your 3-4 or 3-5 fit with unknown intermediates at the 3-level.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 16:51

Must East be able to explain to obtain justice?

VixTD, on 2013-September-27, 11:37, said:

Of course! Do you think the directors should be awarding adjusted scores every time there's a failure to alert, a misexplanation or a break in tempo without even considering the likelihood of whether it caused any damage?

I don't think directors should be awarding adjusted scores willy-nilly; I also don't think East is required to explain his reasoning to obtain justice — although it may help him to do so. The laws put the onus on the director to collect data, and to rule as best he can on "the facts he is able to collect". There's nothing in there about players being required to justify their actions. Still, the director will be making a judgment ruling - and if his judgment is flawed, so will be the ruling. I don't see how we can "fix" that, except by providing a "check and balance" mechanism — which is what appeals are supposed to be.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2013-September-27, 18:07

c_corgi, on 2013-September-27, 11:46, said:

If bad breaks are likely, then all the more reason to play your 5-2 or 5-3 fit with great intermediates at the 2-level, rather than risk finding your 3-4 or 3-5 fit with unknown intermediates at the 3-level.
The good five card suit is tempting but becomes even less attractive if you are told that RHO's 2 bid may show a 5-5 major two-suiter. Also double provides partner with the opportunity for a penalty-pass

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 19:44

VixTD, on 2013-September-27, 11:37, said:

Taking this question and that answer out of the current thread for a moment to generalize, if I may ---

If a person calling the TD is unable, for some reason, to articulate his case for damage I don't believe that automatically denies him redress. IMO, the TD can determine damage from the circumstances, or at least some TD's can; and they are allowed to.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 20:18

Not just allowed to, they're supposed to.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 06:59

blackshoe, on 2013-September-27, 16:51, said:

I don't think directors should be awarding adjusted scores willy-nilly; I also don't think East is required to explain his reasoning to obtain justice — although it may help him to do so. The laws put the onus on the director to collect data, and to rule as best he can on "the facts he is able to collect". There's nothing in there about players being required to justify their actions.

Asking East what they would have done given a correct explanation and why is part of the data collection. I'm surprised that anyone finds this controversial.

If no one can see any reason why the proposed action would be more successful (as they couldn't in this case until Nigel came along, and he doesn't seem to be convincing anybody), why should there be any score adjustment?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users