• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unauthorized information part 2 peer review requested

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-22, 12:51

View Postjillybean, on 2013-August-22, 12:13, said:

I could write 10 pages, you haven't even touched on Unauthorized information : eye rolling, heavy sigh, fiddling with bid cards before passing, slamming bid card on table, placing pass or double card on table while continuing to hold onto it, breaks in tempo, placing bid on table then tapping the table with finger and/or glaring at partner. :)

I can't add to what other posters have already answered but I commend what you are doing and would love to see the finished product and the response from players.

Yes, we would need the walls of a basketball arena to post it all. So, we just do little baby steps; anyone coming up with a finished product they like, I would be delighted to get a copy in my email.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-22, 15:36

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-August-22, 11:58, said:

Percentages aren't my bag. But, forgetting the super clubs like in LV and elsewhere, I believe Barry's 99% to be only slightly into the realm of hyperbole. The ACBL stats on Masterpoint averages don't work for me. A person can get a lot of points without learning anything, and also not all club players are ACBL members.

In fact, we have one lady who has accumulated 3000+ points and is very good at card play and judgement, but doesn't play anything artificial beyond Stayman and 2-suit transfers --- a new suit after being transferred would mean she missorted her hand. A novice playing with her feels like he/she is in a comfortable rocking chair.

This brings to mind a scene in the movie "Quigley Down Under". American cowboy Matt Quigley (Tom Selleck) goes to Australia, and gets embroiled with a local rancher who fancies himself good with a handgun. Quigley, meanwhile, is an expert with a rifle, and shows it throughout the movie. So the bad guy forces Quigley into a face off - with handguns. Quigley promptly shoots the bad guy. Quigley then walks up to him (bad guy's looking up with this shocked expression) and says "Said I preferred to use a rifle. Didn't say I don't know how to use a hand gun." :D

That your lady doesn't play anything fancy doesn't mean she doesn't know how to do so.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-23, 08:53

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-22, 11:32, said:

I believe you to be wrong, but mostly because you used 99% instead of 85 or 90% - ie, wrong in degree. 17% of ACBL players have more than 1,000 masterpoints, and 7% more than 2000. I believe the majority of those players would be experienced enough to have some sort of agreement about superaccepts that expands to suit bids.

I have 2700 MP, and most of the people I play with frequently have 1500-4000. While I've occasionally played more complex super-accepts, we've never discussed using them in any of these partnerships.

It doesn't come up in my most regular partnership. We use Wohlin Transfers, so responder's suit is not known for sure, and there's a very specific and limited super-accept method.

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 09:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-August-22, 15:36, said:

That your lady doesn't play anything fancy doesn't mean she doesn't know how to do so.

True. However, she doesn't. :rolleyes: She aint Quigley, but if she needs to know about your handgun she will ask and use the information ---then promptly forget about it til next time she needs to ask.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users