BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Teams League - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Teams League Registrations are open until Aug 21, 11:59PM EDT (Aug 22, 2:59AM CET)

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-14, 18:26

We're organizing a teams league next weekend (Aug 24-25). Anyone can join, and it's free. Join as a team or sign up on the partnership desk to find team mates.

Registrations are open until August 21, 11:59PM EDT (August 22, 2:59AM CET)

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1651

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-14, 20:50

Hello Diana:
I think the match will be welcome,however I wonder what's EDT or CET,I only know Beijing Time is GMT+8,so you would tell me what's Beijing time if possible.I mean that our chinese will join the match if the match time permitting.

Thank you in advance.
With kind regards

lycier

BBO China Bridge Club

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-14, 21:04

lycier, on 2013-August-14, 20:50, said:

Hello Diana:
I think the match will be welcome,however I wonder what's EDT or CET,I only know Beijing Time is GMT+8,so you would tell me what's Beijing time if possible.I mean that our chinese will join the match if the match time permitting.

Thank you in advance.
With kind regards

lycier

BBO China Bridge Club

In Beijing it's 11PM to 4AM. We'll try to take time zone into account when we schedule the matches, as much as possible... If you make it to the finals you'll have to stay up late though :)

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 10:58

I will try my best and let the more chinese players to participate in this match.
Thank BBO.

#5 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 16:45

Hi

Any idea how many teams there are? I am running into problems because a whole lot of people can't commit to Friday (work and all that).

#6 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 12:07

You can get an idea of how many teams via the news article - there's a registered team tab.

Currently 24 teams registered, we don't expect many more teams. So it looks like it's gonna be <32, and we'll be seeding, etc.

Higher MP teams will get a bye in round of 32.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 20:44

well....thanks Rain, but when I click on the registered teams tab it comes up blank page and when I click on pairs looking for teammates or whatever that tab is it takes me to the IAC's google email address. Guess we may have to wait until the next one, maybe. Or maybe all this only works on the web version.

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-August-20, 22:19

onoway, on 2013-August-20, 20:44, said:

well....thanks Rain, but when I click on the registered teams tab it comes up blank page and when I click on pairs looking for teammates or whatever that tab is it takes me to the IAC's google email address. Guess we may have to wait until the next one, maybe. Or maybe all this only works on the web version.

I don't get the list of teams or the registration stuff in chrome. I do in Internet explorer. I am not sure if I was using IE in compatibility mode or not. If you tried IE, switch the mode it is in and see if that helps. If you are using chrome or maybe some other browser, try a different browser.

Ben
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 12:56

Both of them work fine for me in Chrome. The list of pairs looking for teammates is just an ordinary link to a Google Docs document, I don't see how it could be dependent on the browser. But if you're having trouble, here's the link:

https://docs.google....UWc&output=html

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 13:00

Hmm, maybe there's something in your browser that's incompatible with Google Docs in general, since the list of registered teams also comes from there (it's just embedded as an IFRAME instead of a link to a pop-up). I'm not sure what that might be, though.

#11 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-August-21, 13:14

onoway, on 2013-August-20, 20:44, said:

Also, if you have a google/gmail account, try logging out/in to that via the browser where the team list is blank. I got that one time when I had auto-logged out of gmail in Chrome, and when I logged back in, the list of teams came back.

#12 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 14:34

This looks much more like a cup/tournament than a league...
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#13 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-21, 15:08

inquiry, on 2013-August-20, 22:19, said:

I don't get the list of teams or the registration stuff in chrome. I do in Internet explorer. I am not sure if I was using IE in compatibility mode or not. If you tried IE, switch the mode it is in and see if that helps. If you are using chrome or maybe some other browser, try a different browser.

Ben

Thanks Ben I was using Firefox but when I switched to IE then it came up properly. It never occurred to me to switch browsers as it's usually IE which gives me grief if any.

It's a bit late now though to contact people so am thinking we will have to sit this one out and hope there is another I guess.

#14 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-23, 09:31

broze, on 2013-August-21, 14:34, said:

This looks much more like a cup/tournament than a league...

Agree. We'll name the next one better. :)
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-23, 09:59

FWIW, I might have tried to scrape together a team if the conditions of contest didn't bar half the systems that I play...
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-23, 16:17

hrothgar, on 2013-August-23, 09:59, said:

FWIW, I might have tried to scrape together a team if the conditions of contest didn't bar half the systems that I play...

Oh, wow, good job hiding that. I have plans tomorrow evening so I wasn't interested anyway, but having to parse and comply with funky ACBL regulations certainly would be a deterrent too.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-25, 22:26

So what are the results and how did this work out? I assume there are lessons learned and next time it will be even better.

Great idea.....

Enough interest for a second try?

#18 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-August-25, 23:41

mike777, on 2013-August-25, 22:26, said:

So what are the results and how did this work out? I assume there are lessons learned and next time it will be even better.

Great idea.....

Enough interest for a second try?

This is from the result page....

Paladins (abccba+psyck, trille61+andreasw) who defeated Slothy's "CantThinkOfAName" in a close final.

Runners-up INDIGO from Romania and Magneto & his happy friends from Taiwan played a 12-boards playoff battling for the bronze. Magneto won 33 to 29.

Very well done to all players and a huge thank you to Aurora, who set up and directed all the matches.

One mistake I think was the matches were barometer. Going into the last hand, Slothy team was down 10 imps and a potential slam hand showed up. It was an easy 3NT/4S to bid and make, to win a slam would have to be bid and made. The slam would be touchy. It makes if you can find the diamond queen (two way finesse) after the spade finesse works and the heart finesse failed. (you need two of the three to work for slam). Oddly, the trailing pair, who played the last board well after the other table finished did not bid the slam. With the current scoring, the slam should have been bid I think based on state of the match. I would prefer the score not to be known to the players.

There were some interesting hands, One cold 5Hx at both tables (might have been the semifinals). One declarer went down one, the other down two. It didn't seem to be a difficult hand at al. Then a controversial auction that went like this....

2NT (20 - 21) ----------------- 4C (alert, Gerber)
4D (alert: cue bid clubs ==== 5C (alert king ask)
6C (no alert this time) --------- 7NT

Opener had three Aces, four clubs to the king-ten if I recall. There was conversation about how 7NT could be bid with the 4D response and the "negative" 6C response. The grand could have been considered directly over 2NT.

I think maybe not tying up two immediate days might be better. Also, it might be possible to schedule some rounds at times not associated with others. For instance, half the field might play rounds starting at 3AM eastern time, others play their round starting at 1pm... getting two rounds in with these differences, then later, say the next week, the remaining teams play at the same times. Something like that. The times here seemed very EAST-COAST US centric... (I live on the East coast).
--Ben--

#19 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-26, 05:27

inquiry, on 2013-August-25, 23:41, said:

This is from the result page....

One mistake I think was the matches were barometer. Going into the last hand, Slothy team was down 10 imps and a potential slam hand showed up. It was an easy 3NT/4S to bid and make, to win a slam would have to be bid and made. The slam would be touchy. It makes if you can find the diamond queen (two way finesse) after the spade finesse works and the heart finesse failed. (you need two of the three to work for slam). Oddly, the trailing pair, who played the last board well after the other table finished did not bid the slam. With the current scoring, the slam should have been bid I think based on state of the match. I would prefer the score not to be known to the players.

There were some interesting hands, One cold 5Hx at both tables (might have been the semifinals). One declarer went down one, the other down two. It didn't seem to be a difficult hand at al. Then a controversial auction that went like this....

2NT (20 - 21) ----------------- 4C (alert, Gerber)
4D (alert: cue bid clubs ==== 5C (alert king ask)
6C (no alert this time) --------- 7NT

Opener had three Aces, four clubs to the king-ten if I recall. There was conversation about how 7NT could be bid with the 4D response and the "negative" 6C response. The grand could have been considered directly over 2NT.

I think maybe not tying up two immediate days might be better. Also, it might be possible to schedule some rounds at times not associated with others. For instance, half the field might play rounds starting at 3AM eastern time, others play their round starting at 1pm... getting two rounds in with these differences, then later, say the next week, the remaining teams play at the same times. Something like that. The times here seemed very EAST-COAST US centric... (I live on the East coast).

All good points Ben, and thanks for helping.
We'll do it without barometer next time (if we ever try again) and allow more time between registration deadline and start of play.
In case lots of teams register, we can split it over two weekends so that participants don't have to play on Fridays too.
We probably should allow more than 1 hour/12-boards. In practice play lasted about 1h15min/match.
Rounds can be scheduled at different hours and we should have scheduled it better - we had way too many matches on Friday, which caused some serious delays.
However this time frame worked quite well for everyone, even if a bit extreme for Asia. (11AM EDT, 5PM Central Europe, 11PM in China / Indonesia). Thing is except for the early stages we cannot take time zone into account much. I strongly believe that announcing fix play hours tends to work better than trying to figure out some days and hours post registration, accommodating everyone. Perhaps we find a better time frame but still we have to make it reasonable for US, Europe and Asia. If teams know well in advance that we play at this or that hour, they will just have to make time to be online at that hour.
Anyway no idea if, when and how we do another TMs event :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users