Posted 2013-July-25, 17:58

J is led, and RHO plays the 4 (UDCA).

Expert opps, what is the best line?

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-26, 06:09

They can stop me setting up clubs by ducking the first round. My options seem to be:
(1) Overtake the first club, hoping for a layout where they still have to duck (Hx-Hxx or one where the 8 is doubleton). The take two diamond finesses whilst finding spades coming in.
(2) Lead J and don't overtake. If it wins, cash four spades and exit with a club, hoping that they have to give me a red-suit trick. (One of the problems with this line is that if they're able to cash a third club it will greatly reduce my chances of an endplay.)
(3) Lead J and don't overtake. If it wins, play a diamond from hand, then decide whether to play RHO for both diamond honours, or to play for an endplay against West. (Edit: The endplay idea might not work if RHO plays back a diamond, but he'll probably play a heart.)

I think I like (3) best, but I can delay the decision until I've seen their reactions when I lead J.

I also have to decide what to do at trick one. It looks right to win it - if I duck and the club honours are split, they won't even have to duck in clubs.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 07:29

Win 1st trick.
Start .
If they duck the 1st or 2nd , then switch gears .... that trick may just be your fulfilling 9th trick .
--- Go to the board w/ K to lead 8 for a finesse .
------- Assuming West wins, he can't return a into your A 9 7 .
------- And if he returns a , you get 2 tricks there.

Hopefully, you can get four tricks :

4s, 2h, 2d, 1c
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-July-26, 08:02

I was thinking about it last night and basically came up with Gnasher's 1st line. I don't think it is the best odds apriori, but I do think that the fact that neither opponent bid when both had easy entry into the auction, and with 17 HCP outstanding and being not vul tends to indicate more flat distribution, and an even distribution of HCP, bending the odds toward 3-2 clubs with 8 doubleton or one/both club honors onside.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 08:52

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users