BBO Discussion Forums: Our turn to bid again - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Our turn to bid again

Poll: Our turn to bid again (36 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid ?

1. pass (21 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. double (14 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. 2NT (1 votes [2.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

4. 3[di] (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-11, 10:20

2/1 with support doubles, IMPS
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-11, 10:51

It's unfashionable to pass here: I suspect double would be more popular.

Part of this is method-dependent. As an example, I wouldn't double automatically as N with any hand containing 3 card support: I would pass with a piece of crap: Kxx Jxx KQxx Kxx: I'd see no reason to double here, since I'd expect partner to be able to reopen if the hand belonged to us.

Accordingly, I have to cater to partner bidding 2 on a small subset of possible hands, and one can readily see that playing 2 will often be less than optimal when vulnerable.

In addition, I like to play some form of good/bad or bad/good 2N here by opener, which refines the hand types for which I have to cater, since partner could show me a decent but not strong minor one or two suiter.

All of this increases the odds that we have no playable resting spot.

Of course, I am missing the occasional penalty and the even less frequent game (the latter partly because even if game makes, I don't know how to get there without gross overbidding).

The reality is, probably, that I'm just revealing my true conservative (at the table) nature :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-11, 11:22

Double, wtp?

If partner pulls our reopening double to 2S, is that really all that bad? And if we play support doubles, how can we penalize opps when partner is 1444 or 2443 without a reopening double?

Basically, I think I am exposing my personal bias against what I view as a unilateral decision. :P I read many years ago that part of Aces' team structure and training (copying the Italians) was to have "no unilateral decisions", that it was better for team harmony and trust in the long run to suffer the occasional bad result without violating system than to "oowboy it up", violate system, and get a good result. :blink:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-11, 11:28

Pass.

As I play it, partner is not expected to pass a double with a random 3-card holding in hearts. So if I double 2 we would often get to play some silly contract opposite a 12-14NT where we would much prefer to defend.
Michael Askgaard

#5 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 12:25

I would double, because I really don't like to sell out here (Yes, even at IMPS). We have some defense, the points are balanced if not in our favor, and if partner pulls I expect it will be a good decision. I will admit to having little experience here, but in my experience people overcall 2 on many hands they shouldn't, and we should make them pay.

On a side note, when I first learned Support Doubles, I downloaded this document. It also talks about Action Doubles, which is what this hand qualifies under.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 12:34

where do i want to play this hand? 2

is there a way to get there? er....yes

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-July-11, 13:07

Interesting hand, as a nonexpert I would pass as I don't expect pard to have 3spades or 6d or 5c and just might have 3h.

#8 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 13:09

I would double.
What distribution partner has? at most 2 . He didn't bid 2, he has at most (not so good) 5. If he has 4 , forcing could be good. Id he does not have 4, it's likely we have 8-card fit (unless partner has 2-3-4-4).
Senshu

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-11, 13:54

View PostHeartA, on 2013-July-11, 13:09, said:

I would double.
What distribution partner has? at most 2 . He didn't bid 2, he has at most (not so good) 5. If he has 4 , forcing could be good. Id he does not have 4, it's likely we have 8-card fit (unless partner has 2-3-4-4).

I don't think your inferences from the auction are valid: most wouldn't have an insufficient call of 2 available and those that do probably wouldn't risk it, since the opps might call the director, creating havoc.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 14:01

View PostHeartA, on 2013-July-11, 13:09, said:

I would double.

aside from the obvious problem with your post, the real problem is that when partner holds 4 hearts he normally won't be in a position to pass - he doesn't know we're making a takeout double on axx.

#11 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-July-11, 15:07

At teams I am happy to pass. At MP's, I'd double (cooperative take-out in most of my partnerships)
Chris Gibson

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 15:41

Getting old, pass seems obvious to me at any form of scoring. My most likely plus is beating them in 2H. It is possible partner has 6 diamonds but its more likely hes 2344, and even 2353 or something like that is bad for bidding probably.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-July-11, 16:39

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-July-11, 15:41, said:

Getting old, pass seems obvious to me at any form of scoring. My most likely plus is beating them in 2H. It is possible partner has 6 diamonds but its more likely hes 2344, and even 2353 or something like that is bad for bidding probably.

hehe

You know you're getting old when you agree with me on passing in a competitive bidding situation!

It won't be long before you start posting about how bridge was played back in your day :D

Just kidding...I only hope the game still exists by the time you get to my age.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 17:03

In one of the first bridge books I read (regrettably long after starting to play) Mike Lawrence described 3-card length in the opponents suit as the death holding in competitive auctions as far as offence goes.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-11, 17:16

From Bambi: If you don't have anything to say...
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-July-12, 01:37

Pull the pass and look at partner's face.

if it looks like this, change your bid for double

Posted Image

Note for SBs around, there is no need to point out this is unethical and against rules, everybody knows that.

#17 User is offline   IVAN CY LO 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-12, 02:42

double, let partners choose to let go or play. According to the LoTT, our fit obvious in minor but not in spade, or an extreme case that either any pairs do not have fit.

If partner holds short in H and 5-6 cards of D, he will bid 3D.
If partner holds 2344, he will glad to penalty, opp spade losers will be 2/3 and partner can ruff 2 times of spade. (LoTT is 14, probably can set 2)
If partner holds something off shape, says 1-2-5-5, he will bid 2NT as asking to transfer to the best minor. (This 2NT obvious doesn't mean has H guard because he can choose to penalty.

If support double is on, I will regard this pass is a forcing pass, ask partner please do something.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-12, 02:59

And how does your partner with 2344 know that they are in a 7 card fit? What would you have chosen with a 4144 hand? Doubling is asking for trouble when Opener has this hand and it is really quite likely that they do. Making Opener's pass forcing just sounds crazy to me.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   IVAN CY LO 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-12, 07:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-12, 02:59, said:

And how does your partner with 2344 know that they are in a 7 card fit? What would you have chosen with a 4144 hand? Doubling is asking for trouble when Opener has this hand and it is really quite likely that they do. Making Opener's pass forcing just sounds crazy to me.

If your partner plays 5 cards major, quite obvious that he has 4 cards of D. (If support double is on, 2S,4H(in Max), 4D(Probably), 3C). If 3-3 minor he should open 1C, it is just basic understanding.

With 4144 on hand and partner pass the 2H overcall, bid 3D in this position, usually is true because your fit quite obvious will be diamond. (Partner holds less than 3 card of spade and open a 1D, quite obvious he holds 4 cards of D and more).

If opener holds 4144, don't be crazy, he has to bid 2S and won't left this question to you.

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-12, 07:35

The problem is
Opener: 2344
Responder: 4234

If you would double with 4234, it's dangerous for opener to leave it in with 2344.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users