BBO Discussion Forums: Partnership bidding tests - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partnership bidding tests

#1 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2013-June-21, 09:59

Is there any place i can get partnership bidding tests besides random hand generators and rpbridge.net?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-June-21, 10:25

Bridge World and other magazines usually have some sort of bidding contests or famous partnerships bidding out hands. They also have a score table so you can see how good you did.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-June-21, 10:33

View PostFree, on 2013-June-21, 10:25, said:

Bridge World and other magazines usually have some sort of bidding contests or famous partnerships bidding out hands. They also have a score table so you can see how good you did.

I think it was Frank Vine who, many years ago, wrote an article in which he set out some pointers for those bidding the Challenge the Champs hands in the BW. I don't remember most of them and I'm paraphrasing what I do remember. They included: if you find out that you have 2 balanced hands, with every suit stopped and a combined 26-28 hcp, play 3 of a minor (3N will have no play).

If partner opens a strong 1N and you hold a 3=2=4=4 11 or 12 count, look for the 4-3 spade fit, since your partner will be 4=2=4=3/4=2=3=4 and they run hearts.

Having said that, these are generally good exercises because the hands are selected on the basis of hitting the seams in methods used by expert pairs.

I have found the partnership bidding facilities of BBO to be quite useful, especially if you want to work on specific aspects of your methods, generally uncontested bidding.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2013-June-21, 13:38

If you don't have a Bridge World subscription, the ACBL Bridge Bulletin has a similar feature called The Bidding Box.

#5 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-June-23, 00:21

Have you thought about starting a table with you and partner against 2 bots and then using the using the randomly selected vugraph deals feature in the deal source tab? You get to compare your bidding and play against various experts.

Simon

#6 User is offline   guido 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-23, 06:58

View Postmikeh, on 2013-June-21, 10:33, said:

I think it was Frank Vine who, many years ago, wrote an article in which he set out some pointers for those bidding the Challenge the Champs hands in the BW. I don't remember most of them and I'm paraphrasing what I do remember. They included: if you find out that you have 2 balanced hands, with every suit stopped and a combined 26-28 hcp, play 3 of a minor (3N will have no play).

If partner opens a strong 1N and you hold a 3=2=4=4 11 or 12 count, look for the 4-3 spade fit, since your partner will be 4=2=4=3/4=2=3=4 and they run hearts.

Having said that, these are generally good exercises because the hands are selected on the basis of hitting the seams in methods used by expert pairs.

I have found the partnership bidding facilities of BBO to be quite useful, especially if you want to work on specific aspects of your methods, generally uncontested bidding.

It was indeed Frank Vine ... "How I Challenged the Champs and Made Them Cry" if I correctly recall. Very funny as almost all his articles were.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users