• You cannot reply to this topic

Choice of strains

#21 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-14, 10:02

mfa1010, on 2013-May-13, 16:30, said:

I take the sure plus (famous last words).

Good luck with that! :P

Seriously though, I would expect partner to reopen X very aggressively with a heart void and think those hands might produce a double game swing. With a stiff heart it is probably a sure plus but you never know. If the opps only have 10 hearts, they presumably have only 18 high at most so I would not be surprised to see some shape. If that happens to come in the form of a diamond void that is bad for our sure plus. Even a stiff diamond opposite a stiff club in the other hand could be very bad for us (not that opener has to have a stiff but it's still scary, and if he opened light vul he is more likely to have shape even though he could just have a normal 11 or 12 or 13 count obv).

#22 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-14, 11:35

JLOGIC, on 2013-May-14, 10:02, said:

Good luck with that! :P

Seriously though, I would expect partner to reopen X very aggressively with a heart void and think those hands might produce a double game swing. With a stiff heart it is probably a sure plus but you never know. If the opps only have 10 hearts, they presumably have only 18 high at most so I would not be surprised to see some shape. If that happens to come in the form of a diamond void that is bad for our sure plus. Even a stiff diamond opposite a stiff club in the other hand could be very bad for us (not that opener has to have a stiff but it's still scary, and if he opened light vul he is more likely to have shape even though he could just have a normal 11 or 12 or 13 count obv).

I agree I can't know, and pass will concede 790 with a significant frequency. On the other hand if both sides go down pass is not just a small but a huge imp-winner. +200 at both tables = 9 imps etc. It probably matters a great deal how aggressive the opponents are (= how often we will catch them with flattish hands). It is a very tough problem in my view.

I could see myself double 4 with 5233 16-17 if the values are sharp (aces etc.) as a battlefield decision. With 6-0 in the majors partner should be willing to guess 4 himself a lot, if his suit is just reasonably good. So there are not that many voids in his range. 5044 is possible, but 5530-hands would have bid Michaels.
Michael Askgaard

#23 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-14, 11:50

mfa1010, on 2013-May-14, 11:35, said:

I could see myself double 4 with 5233 16-17 if the values are sharp (aces etc.) as a battlefield decision.

That reminds of General Melchett in Blackadder Goes Forth. He will virtually always think he has the right shape send us over the top.

I think voids are a big part of our range, because with a void we will double back in with almost our whole range, but with a singleton, we need a suitable max.

#24 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-14, 19:30

PhilKing, on 2013-May-14, 11:50, said:

I think voids are a big part of our range, because with a void we will double back in with almost our whole range (...)

That reminds of stories from Donald Duck and the Minus Four Digits.
Michael Askgaard

#25 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-14, 23:26

I would pass with some reservations, tough problem. I think I prefer 4N to 4S, 4S seems like taking an IMO antipercentage gamble regarding the quality of partner's spades.

#26 User is offline   lesh 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 16:32

I think partner's DBL mean: I would like to bid 4 but I have some defensive values, wheareas 4 would be with offence. So it is up to you to decide whether to play 4 or 4. I wouldn't expect 5044 hand in partner even though it is a possibility.

Either Pass or 4 could turn to be right. No other options for me.

#27 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 07:02

I want a spade honour to bid on a doubleton here, so 4NT for me. -- FrancesHinden

*** So you accept 5C on 3-4 fit, missing D:3-5?
Or correcting to 5D missing C:4-4 this time?
I would agree 4Nt if it was sure to find an 8-fit.
But it is a level higher than 4S and no surety of a fit.

#28 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-May-16, 14:14

dake50, on 2013-May-16, 07:02, said:

I want a spade honour to bid on a doubleton here, so 4NT for me. -- FrancesHinden

*** So you accept 5C on 3-4 fit, missing D:3-5?
Or correcting to 5D missing C:4-4 this time?
I would agree 4Nt if it was sure to find an 8-fit.
But it is a level higher than 4S and no surety of a fit.

Yes I know what the risk of bidding 4NT is.
The alternative of playing in 4S with xx opposite AKxxx x Kxxx Axx is also quite frightening.

#29 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 14:38

Yep, maybe that's one of the most attractive things about passing (both 4N and 4S risk getting to the wrong spot by a lot). I still wouldn't do it, but meh, nice problem.

#30 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 15:26

FrancesHinden, on 2013-May-16, 14:14, said:

Yes I know what the risk of bidding 4NT is.
The alternative of playing in 4S with xx opposite AKxxx x Kxxx Axx is also quite frightening.

If my partner had that hand, we wouldn't be playing in 4S, 4HX, 5C, or 5D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#31 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2013-May-17, 11:25

Pass.

I don't expect partner to be be bananas in this position: I'm a passed-hand and everyone's red. I'd be surprised (but not shocked) if they made this. The biggest downside I see is that maybe we miss our game and get only 200. Oh well, at least I'm not playing in a 4-3 fit (clubs) if bid 4NT and partner shows up with 5143 or 6133. Maybe we weren't going to get to that game anyway.
Kevin Fay

#32 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-May-18, 04:48

4NT for me, 4 as a close second. I prefer to have a top honor , but on the other hand you only need 10 tricks, so it's close.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#33 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-May-18, 11:25

4S for me, too.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#34 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-18, 12:32

I'm with the passers.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users