Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

minor suit auctions showing stops, stopping in 5m

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-01, 15:52

(1) should GIB perhaps prioritize bidding 2nt to show heart stop instead of bidding 3 clubs, since it has already rebid clubs?

(2) In general I don't think GIB should ever bid 3m-5m-6m when 3m is a limited hand. There are just lots of times I want to be in game, thinking it's reasonable gamble (maybe less than 50-50 to make, but it's IMPs), because 4m is stupid contract, and unclear whether 4m is forcing or not according to description. But I really want GIB to just try and make 5m, not end up in some below average or hopeless 6m (This hand happened to be reasonable slam, and made, but I could have had worse hand, and in general these auctions don't turn out well in my experience). I'm bidding 5m because I think it's 50+% or whatever, not because it's 100% and I think 6 is a possibility. If I'm interested in slam I should go slower.

This "I raise to 5m, but GIB bids 6m" seems common complaint as it was also raised in Josh's robot tips discussion. Can we get a rule in regulating 3m-5m auctions?

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-April-01, 20:08

I have always thought that this auction: 1C-1D-2C-3C should create a force. There is simply no reason to raise a limited rebid to the 3 level without enough to try for either 3NT or 5 of the minor. With this in mind there is no reason to bid 1S and misrepresent shape later with a 2D rebid.

In this situation, it can go: 1C-1D, 2C-3C*, 3D-3S, 4H-4S, 5C-P

*forcing
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-02, 00:21

There's reason to bypass diamonds if you play Walsh vs. up-the-line, if auction goes 1c-1d-1nt-2s isn't partner going to play you for 5+ diamond, 4 spade? Also there are some concealment advantages in common auction like 1c-1s-1nt-3nt vs. 1c-1d-?-? to 3nt, opps don't know if opener have 4cd heart or not, or responder 4cd diamond or not, this can affect their lead and defense. I guess I am conditioned to playing Walsh in most of my partnerships so I tend to do it reflexively with GIB even though it doesn't bypass majors over diamonds. I don't think it makes a huge difference on this auction.

I don't think 2d here should guarantee 5 cd spade, I don't think there's any particular need for that to be the case. If partner supports spades one can bid 3c, forcing, showing this sort of hand, presuming that 1c-1s-2c-3c is nf. In any case I don't think it's going to be easy to convince GIB to play 1c-1d-2c-3c as forcing as it's rather non-std. I do like raises of minor 2nd round forcing but I think GIB should adhere to more common treatments.

Besides, even if I do have 5 cd spades, I want opener to rebid 2nt not 3c on this sort of auction. I want to play in 3nt here not 5c, particularly at MP, I don't see why one would want to avoid it having double stop in all suits.

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-03, 22:13

Its GIB- it bids up the line.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users