BBO Discussion Forums: Half the deck - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half the deck

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-12, 14:32

IMPs converted to VPs. 12 Board Match. Unfavorable vul. 4th seat.

(1) Do you agree with the double?
(2) What now?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 14:47

I would probably bid 2 but double seems to be a reasonable choice (maybe 1NT also).

Now I pass, the KJ look like spot cards and partner could be broke. Any bid sounds expensive. Double may be possible but I don't really think I am beating it two, and might help declarer make it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 15:35

1) Prefer 1NT.

2) Pass.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-March-12, 17:02

DIfficult hand, neither double nor is 1NT is perfect. I am thinking your INITIAL plan was double followed by 2NT. At this vul, I would have gone with 1NT, but certainly don't fault the double choice.

My KJ of hearts are useless on this auction, so they probably have seven heart tricks, maybe only six. My partner has nothing, so I probably will only score the A and one or two diamonds. Also, the the vulnerability is all wrong to consider a sacrifice. So this in now an easy pass for me.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 18:07

1) X is fine (would consider 1N as well)
2) Pass
foobar on BBO

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-12, 18:17

1. No I don't, tho it is close.

I don't mind offshape doubles in direct seat, but offshape when the opps have bid 2 suits is not attractive to me. I don't want to double and then, if LHO passes, have to choose either 2 (wrong suit, and not exactly on strength either) or 2N (just a flat out overbid with KJ tight in hearts).

I think I'd downgrade, and I hate downgrading, to 1N. But ask me tomorrow and I might reverse my opinion.

2.All the walruses would double, of course, and it might work out.

On a good day, declarer can't ever reach dummy, and we score a trump trick.

But real players LISTEN to the auction, which tells us that even if RHO responded light, he rates to have an entry and we then have a 16 point hand with, we hope, 3 defensive tricks. A 4th would be a bonus, regardless of which defender wins it.

I would pass.

I have held 19-20 counts in this sort of auction enough times that I know I can pass smoothly, but even if I had to tank, I'd still be passing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 18:32

Not surprised that I'm in the minority but I love doubling. For starters, opps are w/r and I just won't let them talk me out of a game because they opened and responded. If partner has 5 or 6 points I will take my chances in game.

On top of that, since I have diamonds the most likely thing to happen is I get to bid 2D over 2C, and that seems fine. If partner bids 2D I will 2N it but we have a diamond fit so our hand is even better.

If LHO rebids 2H, or bids 2C and RHO bids 2H or something like that, I am committed to 2Ning. This might seem scary but again at this vul I am just going to show my hand and not do any downgrading. I have 19 and a 5 card suit, whatever lol.

Obviously pass 4H, bidding something would be a beginner bid.

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-March-12, 18:35

I feel like I have had this debate many times on here and in person, but if they are w/r I want to say just don't downgrade and bid your hands value. It is hard for partner to be dealt a 0 or 1 or 2 count, sometimes KJ of hearts is fine (RHO didn't raise, partner could have the queen or the ace or even the T lol), and you could just have game on power that you miss by overcalling 1N.

IMO against good players the best way you steal by going bid pass bid or bid bid bid ? is not shutting them out (only happens when they both have weak NTs and cannot make a t/o X), but it's that one hand has a strong hand and inevitably goes low or they downgrade or w/e.

On this hand a lot of the time we will play 2D instead of 1N, sometimes we'll play 2N instead of 1N and that is not a huge loss (0 or 3 or 5 imps), compared to possibly getting to a vul game. Nobody is ever Xing you when you X and bid 2N so it is even relatively safe.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-March-13, 00:57

1- It is very hard to say whether i agree or not with X, when alternatives are all flawed. I would bid 1NT personally.

2- Having started double, i now definetely pass.

Yes i have 19 hcp + 5 card good suit + 4 card side suit and opponents are bidding when they are white vs red. I am aware that we may be being robbed. But light doesnt always mean responder has 0-1-2 hcp, he may as well hold 4-5 hcp or he may have the full value that is available for him ( 7-9 hcp). I see our chances of making game slim to none tbh (KJ and Qx are awful values when we buy the contract at 5 level) I agree pd will pass most of the time, but i am not sure if we can defeat them, let alone being rich with this double.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 16:50

i am a tad surprised to see so many considering 1n 2n or x here---we are entering a live
auction opposite a passed p at unfavorable and 2 unlimited opponents.

bid 2d

this should already show a very strong hand ----if p has anywhere near 7 power (and a dia fit) they will
consider 3d if available. The heart KJ surely is worth at most 1 trick and there is a decent probability
they are tram tickets. I see little benefit in too much optimism here. Be happy with getting your side off
to what is probably the best lead.

bid 2d

then PASS over 4h

#11 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-March-13, 18:19

View Postgszes, on 2013-March-13, 16:50, said:

i am a tad surprised to see so many considering 1n 2n or x here---we are entering a live

bid 2d

this should already show a very strong hand ----if p has anywhere near 7 power (and a dia fit) they will
consider 3d if available. The heart KJ surely is worth at most 1 trick and there is a decent probability
they are tram tickets. I see little benefit in too much optimism here. Be happy with getting your side off
to what is probably the best lead.

bid 2d

then PASS over 4h

I'm with you. Now pard should lead a diamond instead of the club.

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-13, 18:27

View Postgszes, on 2013-March-13, 16:50, said:

Indeed. You get a bigger game bonus when you are vulnerable.

#13 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 19:48

*** No, 2D.

(2) What now?
*** Pass and hope DAK +SA +CQ. Likely HKJ onside they make.

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 20:28

If I knew lefty was about to jump to 4, I would bid 2. But holding 19 points, I would worry that it could actually be our hand. Does 1NT risk missing game? I don't really think so. My range is 16-19 in this situation, so that seems close enough. Look at it another way - if partner has Q and the AJ, he will invite game and we will most probably make it, as we will opposite a lot of seven counts.

However, if pard just has a balanced pile, I would much rather play in 1NT than 2NT, since 1NT will pretty much always have some play, whereas 2NT needs quite a bit more from partner.

#15 User is offline   Alik1974 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Computer programming, chess, gadgets, books.

Posted 2013-March-13, 21:07

(1) Sometimes Dbl, sometimes 2

(2) Pass. Too many points in opponents' suits and hearts look like xx .
I write some unusual articles about bridge in my bridge blog.

#16 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-16, 05:19

View PostArtK78, on 2013-March-12, 14:32, said:

IMPs converted to VPs. 12 Board Match. Unfavorable vul. 4th seat.

(2) What now?

(1) No. You have a 2 bid.
(2) Pass.

#17 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-March-19, 20:32

Partner probably has a flattish yargsborough...
Also we got the wrong half of the deck to double.
2, p
Become yourself.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users