BBO Discussion Forums: Takeout Doubles - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Takeout Doubles Various Questions

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-23, 08:43

Reading TOD chapter in "25 Ways to Compete in the Bidding" (Barbara Seagram, Marc Smith).

1. Authors suggest using TOD with opening bid values including distribution. Is it really reasonable to do TOD without 12HCP very often? (not talking about balancing Dbl now)

2. I am used to responding by bidding 1NT with 6 HCP only (probably because I trust my doubling partner to have at least 12HCP). How bad is that?
They say 8-10. (with a stopper in opps' suit, of course)

3. Authors recommend jumping to game in response to partner's TOD with opening values and a 5-card major. What if partner had 6-card suit in another major, shortness in my major and was too strong to overcall (not much chance, I know)?

4. I am used to understand the second Dbl in this bidding sequence: 1 - Dbl - 1 - Dbl as showing 4-card suit (bidding now would show five of them) but this book says this double would show positive values and having (at least four of them). Really confused now.

Would appreciate your thoughts and comments :)

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-23, 09:21

The fourth issue is easy to understand: the first double promised some support for all three suits. If fourth hand has spades, he can just bid spades. There is no reason for fourth hand double to tell the original doubler "well, I can support some of the suits I know you can support". So, it makes sense for this double to be penalty-ish - "I have some hearts, and so should you". The main reason, I believe, is that otherwise it's very easy for third hand to bluff us out of our best suit, by bidding his shorter suit and then running away to 2 when doubled.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 10:16

6-9 is traditional and 8-10 more modern, reflecting a more aggressive doubling style.
Jumping to game with a 5-card suit is a bit crude. You can bit opps suit first to give partner the chance to show something unusual .
As for advancer's double, see Antrax post. But it is not only to unmask a psyche. It also can be helpful for partner to let him know we have some values. He might be able to bid 3nt with a stop in opener suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 12:10

For what it is worth many good pairs play the double in 4 as takeout.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 12:19

4. Perhaps your confusion is because in the similar sequence 1 X 2 X, this responsive double does not show hearts, but shows a better minor than spades, but can play in spades if partner wants. Over a minor bid and support, the responsive double would show both equal majors, typically 44xx.

However, I also play your given sequence as takeout, with equal liking for both suits. I would bid 1NT with hearts.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-23, 15:50

fromageGB, on 2013-February-23, 12:19, said:

However, I also play your given sequence as takeout, with equal liking for both suits. I would bid 1NT with hearts.

How do you find a heart game if you have one?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 16:38

Vampyr, on 2013-February-23, 15:50, said:

An easy answer : I wouldn't. This is probably why the recommended methods have changed, if they have. However, 1NT/2NT shows good heart stops, and it is possible partner with good hearts in a good hand will bid 2/3 to suggest hearts as an alternative contract.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 16:43

fromageGB, on 2013-February-23, 12:19, said:

I would bid 1NT with hearts.

Don't you need a club stopper for bidding nt?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 05:59

helene_t, on 2013-February-23, 16:43, said:

Don't you need a club stopper for bidding nt?

I suppose this depends on your agreements. Our simple one is that a NT bid in competition shows stop(s) in the suit bid on your right, not the left. If you had KJxx of the suit on your left, a couple of leads through and it is no stop at all. KJxx of the suit on the right is much better.

In this particular sequence as partner is expected to be short in the opening suit and to have something himself in the suit on your right, there is a strong argument that our agreement should not apply, and that 1NT should show something of the suit on your left, not the right. But then, with everything on the wrong side for you, it is probably not a good bid. You are going to get a heart lead through partner, and clubs through you.

Sometimes partner doubles with something in opener's suit and can stand the NT, or raise, or just accepts that there is no fit in the other suits so passes as nowhere better to go.

#10 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 06:19

Antrax, on 2013-February-23, 09:21, said:

The fourth issue is easy to understand: the first double promised some support for all three suits. If fourth hand has spades, he can just bid spades. There is no reason for fourth hand double to tell the original doubler "well, I can support some of the suits I know you can support". So, it makes sense for this double to be penalty-ish - "I have some hearts, and so should you". The main reason, I believe, is that otherwise it's very easy for third hand to bluff us out of our best suit, by bidding his shorter suit and then running away to 2 when doubled.

I really like to show if there are four spades or five so was pretty comfortable with free-bidding five and doubling with four. I guess this is supposed to give me problem with other types of hands?

#11 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 06:22

helene_t, on 2013-February-23, 10:16, said:

6-9 is traditional and 8-10 more modern, reflecting a more aggressive doubling style.
Jumping to game with a 5-card suit is a bit crude. You can bit opps suit first to give partner the chance to show something unusual .
As for advancer's double, see Antrax post. But it is not only to unmask a psyche. It also can be helpful for partner to let him know we have some values. He might be able to bid 3nt with a stop in opener suit.

That is clear to me know re strength.

For advancer's double the way you to explained what are requirements then? About how many HCP, ?

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-February-24, 07:34

barsikb, on 2013-February-24, 06:19, said:

I really like to show if there are four spades or five so was pretty comfortable with free-bidding five and doubling with four. I guess this is supposed to give me problem with other types of hands?

With a game going hand & only 3 spades, partner will cuebid next, so it's ok to bid the same (1s or 2s) with 4 or 5 spades here, unless you yourself have a game going hand.

The issue is when RHO sticks in a 1M bid on 3 small and you and your partner have a game in M. If you have 5 or a good 4, you can just bid 2M, and with any-old 4, you just dbl.

As the above responses suggest, though, different folks have different agreements about this. So this is a good discussion to have with p.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 07:58

Vampyr, on 2013-February-23, 15:50, said:

Let me pose a counter-question. How many times is 4 a sensible contract when you have an opening bid on your left, and a response on your right, giving you an expected maximum 23 count 4-4 fit with a 4-1 break against you? I think 1NT would win on a frequency basis.

#14 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 09:05

fromageGB, on 2013-February-24, 07:58, said:

Let me pose a counter-question. How many times is 4 a sensible contract when you have an opening bid on your left, and a response on your right, giving you an expected maximum 23 count 4-4 fit with a 4-1 break against you? I think 1NT would win on a frequency basis.

I understand this is N/B, but RHO will often take liberties here. If he sees partner open and RHO make a TOX, and he has very little, the benefit of bidding to keep our side out of a game (where all the HCP are marked btw) seems to outweigh the small chance that partner has the rest of the deck and goes ballistic.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#15 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 10:02

wyman, on 2013-February-24, 09:05, said:

I understand this is N/B, but RHO will often take liberties here. If he sees partner open and RHO make a TOX, and he has very little, the benefit of bidding to keep our side out of a game (where all the HCP are marked btw) seems to outweigh the small chance that partner has the rest of the deck and goes ballistic.

I never knew psyches like this were taught to beginners. That was the basis of my reply.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-24, 10:39

fromageGB, on 2013-February-24, 10:02, said:

I never knew psyches like this were taught to beginners. That was the basis of my reply.

I don't think anyone is teaching psyches, just noting that they can happen. The opponents may not be beginners.

Some people play that the double may or may not contain RHO's major, and that either partner can subsequently bid the suit to show 4+. Perhaps this is simplest, as it keeps all options open, and after all, RHO's bid will usually be geniune (genuine includes 5 HCP and xxxx in the suit).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-February-24, 10:52

wyman, on 2013-February-24, 09:05, said:

This is exactly why many people (including me) play this double as penalties. xxx, xxxxx, xxx, xx 1-X-1 is worth a go. Quite a few people play X=4, 2=5+.

#18 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-February-24, 11:15

barsikb, on 2013-February-23, 08:43, said:

Reading TOD chapter in "25 Ways to Compete in the Bidding" (Barbara Seagram, Marc Smith).

1. Authors suggest using TOD with opening bid values including distribution. Is it really reasonable to do TOD without 12HCP very often? (not talking about balancing Dbl now)

2. I am used to responding by bidding 1NT with 6 HCP only (probably because I trust my doubling partner to have at least 12HCP). How bad is that?
They say 8-10. (with a stopper in opps' suit, of course)

3. Authors recommend jumping to game in response to partner's TOD with opening values and a 5-card major. What if partner had 6-card suit in another major, shortness in my major and was too strong to overcall (not much chance, I know)?

4. I am used to understand the second Dbl in this bidding sequence: 1 - Dbl - 1 - Dbl as showing 4-card suit (bidding now would show five of them) but this book says this double would show positive values and having (at least four of them). Really confused now.

Would appreciate your thoughts and comments :)

If you are ever stuck as to how to respond to partners takeout double try using the enemy suit to
pass the buck back to partner. Here is a example :-

W N E S
1D X NB ?
South holds
S.AQ82
H.K1052
D.82
C.AJ10

South should bid 2D with the above hand. The 2D bid says "I think it best if you chose the suit partner"
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#19 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 13:17

fromageGB, on 2013-February-24, 10:02, said:

If you asked me what is standard for the auction (1C) X (1H) X, I would say that I think standard is "hearts" (though I wouldn't go so far as to say "penalties."

The only reason I brought up RHO's actions is because someone asked why this would be the standard meaning: basically, it's because we don't always want to trust opponents. As someone else noted, showing length in opps' suit can have other advantages, like allowing doubler to bid NT with a weak stopper.

I hardly think this is teaching beginners to psyche. Again, I'm just providing motivation for what I believe to be standard bidding (and again, I noted that different pairs play this dbl differently, so it's worth discussing with partner and choosing what you prefer / what makes sense to you).

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-24, 14:51

They might not even be psyching, we can still easily belong in hearts if RHO has 4 hearts.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users