Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hesitation Blackwood ... with a twist

#1 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:38

E-W are a first-time partnership; system discussion includes "2/1 GF, strong NT, 1430" - other factors are probably irrelevant here. Here's the hand and auction:

After the play, N calls you to ask whether E is permitted to pass 4NT after the hesitation, or whether in fact doing so is demonstrably suggested over other LAs (such as showing his number of keycards, leading to a doomed slam). E comments:

"To be honest, I wasn't really thinking clearly when I bid 4. It was an atrocious bid on my hand, as it should clearly show something like 6-5 and a slam try opposite a misfitting minimum GF, especially as this is matchpoints. I decided to pass 4NT because I should have passed 3NT in the first place."

W's comment was along the lines of: "I was considering simply giving preference to 4 but decided partner had to have a slam try to go beyond 3NT, and I've clearly got enough to go on if he's 6-5".

Your comments and ruling?

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:52

What did East think that 4NT meant?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:52

I can't see any useful UI, here - why should West have more or less to think about depending on whether 4N is natural or RKCB? If it is RKCB, how can East tell whether West was thinking of doing something weaker or stronger, or simply wondering whether it was clear what 4N would mean?

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 03:11

North's argument was "The slow RKCB suggests that W has a marginal slam try, rather than full values, and therefore suggests passing rather than bidding on". E admits to masterminding the auction but defended his bid to W as "If you were OK with me passing 3NT, you can't tell me 4NT is too low".

#5 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 04:03

I would have been surprised if West made any call without hesitation after East continued to bid over 3nt. A pause of thought is mandatory now, and therefore does not carry any information.

Karl

#6 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 04:04

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-April-18, 03:11, said:

North's argument was "The slow RKCB suggests that W has a marginal slam try, rather than full values, and therefore suggests passing rather than bidding on". E admits to masterminding the auction but defended his bid to W as "If you were OK with me passing 3NT, you can't tell me 4NT is too low".

My argument is that a slow 4NT, which ought to be a sign-off, suggests that East bid on, and that Pass is not demonstrably suggested. And East could hardly be worse for the auction to date.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 08:33

View Postmink, on 2013-April-18, 04:03, said:

A pause of thought is mandatory now,

100% I would be more concerned about the existence of UI after a fast 4nt bid.

Pass by East is so clearcut it would never occur to me to call the Director but on a different lie of the cards this N/S were calling if E/W had guessed their way to a making slam too and it looks like for the same reasons. They think East should act on the phantom UI here because slam goes down, just massive resulting.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 18:49

No infraction, no score adjustment. Next! B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 03:17

Thanks for the replies, all - I was E, and realised after bidding 4 that it had been one of my worse calls that evening. To be fair to NS, all they did was ask us to agree the hesitation and reserve their rights, and they did not call the director at all. I posted here for verification that my pass was ethical/legal after partner's hesitation.

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 04:41

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-April-19, 03:17, said:

Thanks for the replies, all - I was E, and realised after bidding 4 that it had been one of my worse calls that evening. To be fair to NS, all they did was ask us to agree the hesitation and reserve their rights, and they did not call the director at all. I posted here for verification that my pass was ethical/legal after partner's hesitation.

I liked that both East and West were forthcoming that 4NT was Blackwood - it would have been easy to get out of it simply by saying it was a sign-off.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 08:28

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-April-19, 04:41, said:

I liked that both East and West were forthcoming that 4NT was Blackwood - it would have been easy to get out of it simply by saying it was a sign-off.

Well handled all around imo and this gives N/S their best shot on defence knowing something is up. As blackshoe says......
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users