• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual vs Unusual finding a 4-4 fit?

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-05, 08:45

Your thoughts about North's decision;

- He can show spades (which we play promises 5) but partner will bid 3S with a 3-2-3-5 hand (or possibly with 3-3-3-4, etc)
- He can show a club raise but may catch partner with a 4-3-3-3 hand or similar

(obviously on this hand North can't get it wrong, but this is the hand that spurred the conversation)

We have no specific agreements regarding doubling and then pulling to a suit ... are there any common agreements there that would help find the right 4-4 fit?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-05, 08:56

I guess South in the text is North in the diagram and vice versa?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-05, 09:43

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-05, 08:56, said:

I guess South in the text is North in the diagram and vice versa?

Sorry, the diagram is correct my comment was not (I have fixed it). I am asking about North's decision, he has to find a bid over 2NT and I'm trying to figure out how he gets to the correct black suit fit (if there is only one).
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-05, 14:06

If your spade-showing bid promises five, the club raise has to include hands with four spades and club support. Hence North could show a club raise, expecting South to bid 3 with four. That would get us to a 4-4 spade fit if one existed.

If you're worried about missing 3NT by going that way, you could start with double. Double followed by 3 is presumably a 4-card suit, and would get us to 3NT when it's right.

Anyway, as North I wouldn't be worried about 3NT, because the slam potential is so good. Kxx xx AJx QJxxx isn't much to hope for. I'd show a club raise.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-05, 14:44

View Posthumilities, on 2013-January-05, 08:45, said:

...are there any common agreements there that would help find the right 4-4 fit?

Finding 4-4 fits over unusual 2NT is a small concern for two reasons:
- It's more important to find big fits immediately in case advancer makes a preemptive raise.
- Playing in a 4-4 fit isn't that attractive when you are facing the certainty of either a bad trump break, or the
threat of ruffs in your side suit. Doubling them, or playing in 3NT is often the better alternative.

Nevertheless, you can find 4-4 fits, after an initial raise or double.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   plum_tree 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 04:11

View Posthumilities, on 2013-January-05, 08:45, said:

We have no specific agreements regarding doubling and then pulling to a suit ... are there any common agreements there that would help find the right 4-4 fit?

View Posthumilities, on 2013-January-05, 09:43, said:

I am asking about North's decision, he has to find a bid over 2NT and I'm trying to figure out how he gets to the correct black suit fit (if there is only one).

WTP? The 2NT overcall has given away the hand layout. Finding South with the “right cards” should see a slam home. Therefore assuming that 2NT overcall shows 5/5 in the red suits, then
1. X always shows 4-cards in the unbid major and a hand willing to compete to the 3-level
2. 3 is a hopeless underbid on that hand strength
3. 3 will show a 5-card suit (which you don’t have)

Without any prior agreements as to what to bid in a situation like this, as North my first choice would be to make a GF cue-bid. What would that be? How about 3 showing values in the suit, leaving the door open for 3NT? Another option would be 4 as a splinter bid, showing a 3-suited hand, short in . 4 now from South will show 4-cards in the suit. 4NT will be to play, only 3-card suit, stopped.

#7 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 11:59

View Postplum_tree, on 2013-January-06, 04:11, said:

WTP? The 2NT overcall has given away the hand layout. Finding South with the “right cards” should see a slam home. Therefore assuming that 2NT overcall shows 5/5 in the red suits, then
1. X always shows 4-cards in the unbid major and a hand willing to compete to the 3-level
2. 3 is a hopeless underbid on that hand strength
3. 3 will show a 5-card suit (which you don’t have)

Without any prior agreements as to what to bid in a situation like this, as North my first choice would be to make a GF cue-bid. What would that be? How about 3 showing values in the suit, leaving the door open for 3NT? Another option would be 4 as a splinter bid, showing a 3-suited hand, short in . 4 now from South will show 4-cards in the suit. 4NT will be to play, only 3-card suit, stopped.

Double isn't negative, it says that I want to saw off one of the red suits, you could play it as negative but that's not so with discussion. And 4 is a splinter in support of clubs not 3 suits. What value would it be for it to promise hearts since you'd never want to play there?
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 13:19

If 3S = 5+ cards ( and I think most sources say this is forcing ) , how about 3H! showing 4 cards . At least one source says 3H! = invitational with but doesn't give suit quantity . Even if ostensibly "invitational" , it will force partner ( Opener ) to bid .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-January-06, 23:40

This one seems a bit tricky. There are 2 good paths forward...

1) Start with a fit showing Unusual/Unusual bid - whichever approach you use.
Assume 3 shows a LR+ with a fit in .
South now has the responsibility to introduce the 4 card suit after which you can develop the auction toward slam...
Without a 4-card Major, South will tend toward 3N though blind here about which red suits are really covered. So,

2) A double would show the ability to penalize one of the 2 red suits and invitational+ values - but not as much as North holds.
This approach caters to when partner does not hold 4 s and you can explore whether 3N or 6 is possible.

In either case we have to contend with East who can make our lives difficult by bidding 4 or 5 of either red suit.

So I lean toward the LR+ bid because partner will have more confidence when they show s knowing er have a fit and will bid 4 on the way to 5+.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 08:22

View PostSteveMoe, on 2013-January-06, 23:40, said:

This one seems a bit tricky. There are 2 good paths forward...

1) Start with a fit showing Unusual/Unusual bid - whichever approach you use.
Assume 3 shows a LR+ with a fit in .
South now has the responsibility to introduce the 4 card suit after which you

Over 1 Club - 2 NT :
3C - Competitive in Clubs, should hold 5 clubs, 4 good is ok too!
3D - Club support, limit or better. Should hold 5 clubs or 4 good.
3H - Invitational with spades.
3S - 100% forcing with spades.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#11 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 22:46

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2013-January-07, 08:22, said:

Over 1 Club - 2 NT :
3C - Competitive in Clubs, should hold 5 clubs, 4 good is ok too!
3D - Club support, limit or better. Should hold 5 clubs or 4 good.
3H - Invitational with spades.
3S - 100% forcing with spades.

Interesting alternative. I take it we don't want to stop in 3? Am accustomed to play 3 theirs as artificial Inv +/GF and 3 others to play.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#12 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:17

View PostSteveMoe, on 2013-January-07, 22:46, said:

Interesting alternative. I take it we don't want to stop in 3? Am accustomed to play 3 theirs as artificial Inv +/GF and 3 others to play.

I suppose you could reverse the meanings of 3H and 3S... but BOTH say spades.

I mainly wanted to point out that 3H! is NOT clubs..... 3D! is clubs ( "their" lower suit means "our" lower suit ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#13 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-09, 09:32

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2013-January-08, 08:17, said:

I suppose you could reverse the meanings of 3H and 3S... but BOTH say spades.

I mainly wanted to point out that 3H! is NOT clubs..... 3D! is clubs ( "their" lower suit means "our" lower suit ) .

That's a matter of choice. I like higher shows fit with partner's suit because we need more bidding room to explore game opposite GF bid in responder's suit.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-January-09, 09:41

Both 3 and 3 show 5+ spades if you play unusual/unusual. My preference is that 3 is the stronger bid on this auction (partner can pass the direct 3 bid).

On this hand, I would double. I would be willing to play in 3x. Over the expected run to 3 I would bid 3 and see what partner can do.

#15 User is offline   plum_tree 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 23:09

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-January-06, 11:59, said:

Double isn't negative, it says that I want to saw off one of the red suits, you could play it as negative but that's not so with discussion. And 4 is a splinter in support of clubs not 3 suits. What value would it be for it to promise hearts since you'd never want to play there?

Who decided that? You? Someone else? Why can’t the double be negative and saw off one of the red suits? Look at the vulnerability. Missing out on a slam versus playing the opponents down whatever number of tricks scores badly for your side. The 2NT overcall has given away the hand layout.

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 05:04

View Postplum_tree, on 2013-January-10, 23:09, said:

Who decided that? You? Someone else?

The original poster, who told us that he was playing "Unusual versus Unusual", and then implied in the text that double wasn't negative.

I prefer to play this double as negative, but that's definitely not the default meaning.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users