• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vugraph Automation

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-03, 18:58

I glean from an email that Roland has just sent out to many regular BBO commentators that the process of assigning/ungagging commentators is going to become automated. Can anyone shed light on how that is going to work?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-03, 20:07

I know that Fred was working with some of the old Eliza code, trying to make it make random comments about coke.
Looks like there was some kind of breakthrough...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 07:09

We are hoping to point everyone to the main vugraph page, which is

http://www.bridgebas...ph/schedule.php

for now.

If you are an authorized commentator, you will be able to login with your bbo username/pw and click on any event you want to comment at. Or click again to unregister.
Then at your event's start time you will be able to commentate. (Later we'll try to add things like reminders for those who've signed up.)

You cannot do this for voice commentary atm, but will add that later as well.

If you are a vugraph organizer, you can either email to set up vugraph or preferably, use the form on that page to add your proposed schedules.

Hope this answers your qn
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#4 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-04, 08:13

View PostRain, on 2012-August-04, 07:09, said:

for now.

If you are an authorized commentator, you will be able to login with your bbo username/pw and click on any event you want to comment at. Or click again to unregister.
Then at your event's start time you will be able to commentate. (Later we'll try to add things like reminders for those who've signed up.)

Often I've joined a running vugraph at Roland's request. If I were to register myself to a running vugraph, do I get enabled automatically or do I need to find someone to enable me.

If you are a vugraph organizer, you can either email to set up vugraph or preferably, use the form on that page to add your proposed schedules.

If I add a proposed schedule (without emailing BBO), will I be sent the appropriate vugraph user ids and passwords?

Thanks

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-04, 09:18

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-04, 08:13, said:

---

If I add a proposed schedule (without emailing BBO), will I be sent the appropriate vugraph user ids and passwords?

Yes. You'll be notified by email when your event is approved, then you can log on the vugraph schedule page to view operator login information and edit your event.

#6 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2012-August-04, 10:28

Paul,

If you were to join a running vugraph, you will currently need to ask a yellow to ungag you. This is temporary - actually everyone who signs up will be ungagged by a human. But very soon we'll make it automated and you won't need to ask to be ungagged...just sign up and you'll be able to speak.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 11:33

So if someone is ungagged (automatically or manually), is that person just ungagged for the session in question, or for the rest of the event in question, or for for all vugraph presentations until the next server reboot?

When a potential commentator logs in to sign up, will they see how many (and which) commentators have already signed up for that session?

#8 User is offline   Jacki 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 2012-August-04, 21:49

View Postjallerton, on 2012-August-04, 11:33, said:

So if someone is ungagged (automatically or manually), is that person just ungagged for the session in question, or for the rest of the event in question, or for for all vugraph presentations until the next server reboot?

When a potential commentator logs in to sign up, will they see how many (and which) commentators have already signed up for that session?

Yes you can see that, at this link:

http://www.bridgebas.../v2schedule.php

For instance, this broadcast

2012-08-04 12th Geologi Cup 2012
Bandung, Indonesia
21:30 Finals, Round 3 siladen
23:00 Finals, Round 4 siladen

Shows siladen has signed up to comment during that session. You'll find the volunteer commentators in the last column of each broadcast.

Jacki :)

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 23:12

View Postjallerton, on 2012-August-04, 11:33, said:

While we're doing it manually, they'll be ungagged until someone manually gags them again.

When we switch to automatic ungagging, it will automatically gag them again when the session is over.

#10 User is offline   kastan88 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-05, 03:03

1) If I am going to Vugraph Schedule, what is the button/link on what i must click for registerring as commentator. Can see only link, what brings me to Event homepage

2) How can now new commentators to join?

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-05, 03:46

View Postkastan88, on 2012-August-05, 03:03, said:

1) If I am going to Vugraph Schedule, what is the button/link on what i must click for registerring as commentator. Can see only link, what brings me to Event homepage

There's a Login button top right of the list of events where organizers, BBO staff and preapproved commentators can log in with their BBO username and password. After you login a button with "I'll comment" appears next to each event. Organizers can click the arrow next to their event's name and edit it to add more rounds or change whatever.

New commentators can ask a yellow to ungag them like before.

#12 User is offline   kastan88 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-05, 04:11

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-August-05, 03:46, said:

There's a Login button top right of the list of events where organizers, BBO staff and preapproved commentators can log in with their BBO username and password. After you login a button with "I'll comment" appears next to each event. Organizers can click the arrow next to their event's name and edit it to add more rounds or change whatever.

New commentators can ask a yellow to ungag them like before.

I am not the new commentator. I got from Roland Wald the final letter about the new "automated" registerring. How can now happen, that I am not on "approved commentators" list?
Today I could see, that this automatization not working. There were 6 tables in vugraph and only 1 table had commentator. So with Roland Wald commentating worked, wnow we have problems.

Sad, that BBO management changed their attitude, how to organize vugraph commenting. Better would to leave human to work together with robot till new automatization starting work exact way. Bad idea is to spit into old well, until new not giving quality water.

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-August-05, 11:46

for now.

You cannot do this for voice commentary atm, but will add that later as well.

Hope this answers your qn

It let me log in, but I couldn't click on any event.

#14 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-August-05, 12:01

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-August-05, 11:46, said:

It let me log in, but I couldn't click on any event.

I logged in, but when I clicked on an event I got a "Something went wrong" page.

[moan]
The change in process has become more unsatisfactory as the email the Roland sent has been replied to by spam.

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2012-August-05, 14:48

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#15 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-05, 13:25

I also have commented before and am on Roland's email list, but cannot sign up.

#16 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2012-August-05, 18:33

I think there may be a bug right now. We'll fix soon, by tomorrow. Sorry for inconvenience.

I think if you try it once, and it doesn't work, trying again it may work, which is a bug.

John Nelson.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-05, 19:05

I'm looking into these issues. Please bear with us as we work out the kinks in the new system.

#18 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-August-06, 13:33

I am worried.
Mr Wald did do such a good job !!!!

Yes, I am worried,
mostly for the spoken commenting !
Mr Wald always was looking for best commentators possible.

I know I will forgot quite a few, but still, I want to thank: David Bird, Peter Lund, Henri Bethe, Larry Cohen, Kit Woolsey, Bill Jacobs, Andrew Gumperz, and many others...Sorry for those I forgot.....

I won't name them, but few were those who had nothing to tell or worse, just added confusion, making noise....

THANK YOU ROLAND !

I do not believe your work can be robotized.

THANK YOU ROLAND !

THANK YOU ROLAND !

This post has been edited by Lurpoa: 2012-August-11, 02:26

Bob Herreman

#19 User is offline   Jacki 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 2012-August-06, 16:41

View Postkastan88, on 2012-August-05, 04:11, said:

I am not the new commentator. I got from Roland Wald the final letter about the new "automated" registerring. How can now happen, that I am not on "approved commentators" list?
Today I could see, that this automatization not working. There were 6 tables in vugraph and only 1 table had commentator. So with Roland Wald commentating worked, wnow we have problems.

Sad, that BBO management changed their attitude, how to organize vugraph commenting. Better would to leave human to work together with robot till new automatization starting work exact way. Bad idea is to spit into old well, until new not giving quality water.

Email jacki@bridgebase.com, give me your BBO name and I'll see that you're added to the list of Commentators.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-06, 19:52

I believe I've fixed the problems that were causing some people to get errors when they tried to use the "I'll commentate" button.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users