• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

the logical outcome?

#61 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-15, 22:01

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-August-15, 21:57, said:

Except that the US has higher inequality and more poverty than, say, Finland on a per capita basis. Is there any data amongst the OECD to suggest that this is the case?

As I said that is the real question and debate. Is the Finland economic model applied worldwide or to the USA a better antipoverty program. You seem to say yes..so better to describe how it works compared to free market economic theory and why it can and should be applied worldwide.

The data I see and Friedman says the free market model is proven best over the last 200 years or so.

#62 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-August-15, 22:32

View Postmike777, on 2012-August-15, 22:01, said:

As I said that is the real question and debate. Is the Finland economic model applied worldwide or to the USA a better antipoverty program. You seem to say yes..so better to describe how it works compared to free market economic theory and why it can and should be applied worldwide.

The data I see and Friedman says the free market model is proven best over the last 200 years or so.

Are you counting the social democracies as free markets or not? (Friedman does obviously)

#63 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 02:42

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-15, 11:50, said:

I don't think taxes when you cannot predict the tax incidence are a good idea. I like predictable taxes and transparency. The incidence of corporation tax changes depending on the state of global competition, (they will pass on the tax to consumers unless constrained by global competition) so it is either a competitive handicap or a tax paid by consumers. The first thing isn't a good thing, and the second is a sales tax dressed up to look like something else.

I agree that the (final) incidence of corporation tax is unclear. But if you want to abolish taxes with unclear incidence then I am afraid you won't be raising very much money! The incidence of income tax depends on the state of competition in the labour market, for instance. And the incidence of sales tax depends on the state of competition in product markets......

#64 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:06

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-August-15, 22:32, said:

Are you counting the social democracies as free markets or not? (Friedman does obviously)

Actually Friedman was highly critical of say Britain as compared to say Hong Kong under British Rule.

Britain become a much poorer place compared to Hong Kong due to its economic policies.

"Nonetheless, there are some statistics, and in 1960, the earliest date for which I have been able to get them, the average per capita income in Hong Kong was 28 percent of that in Great Britain; by 1996, it had risen to 137 percent of that in Britain. In short, from 1960 to 1996, Hong Kong’s per capita income rose from about one-quarter of Britain’s to more than a third larger than Britain’s. It’s easy to state these figures. It is more difficult to realize their significance. Compare Britain—the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, the nineteenth-century economic superpower on whose empire the sun never set—with Hong Kong, a spit of land, overcrowded, with no resources except for a great harbor. Yet within four decades the residents of this spit of overcrowded land had achieved a level of income one-third higher than that enjoyed by the residents of its former mother country"

from wsj

#65 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:58

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-August-16, 02:42, said:

I agree that the (final) incidence of corporation tax is unclear. But if you want to abolish taxes with unclear incidence then I am afraid you won't be raising very much money! The incidence of income tax depends on the state of competition in the labour market, for instance. And the incidence of sales tax depends on the state of competition in product markets......

Transparent incidence is a thing which is true by degree. The incidence of income tax is only unclear if you think that labour markets really compete globally, but they only slightly do. Most people are prepared to take relative pay cuts to stay in their home countries, not to mention language barriers.

Sales/VAT taxes have very clear incidence I thought. They are not affected by competition, as you basically have to buy things in the place where you live, and so no companies are put at a relative disadvantage, which is the route of unclear incidence.

Surely pretty much everyone agrees that the incidence of corporation tax is much more difficult to understand than income or VAT taxes?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#66 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-August-16, 10:42

View Postmike777, on 2012-August-15, 22:01, said:

A free market economy is not the same as a free market society, and the US has morphed into the latter over the past 3-4 decades. Societies cannot be simplified to profit/loss statements.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#67 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-August-16, 23:16

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-August-16, 10:42, said:

A free market economy is not the same as a free market society, and the US has morphed into the latter over the past 3-4 decades. Societies cannot be simplified to profit/loss statements.

What, pray tell, is the difference?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#68 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-August-17, 15:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-16, 23:16, said:

What, pray tell, is the difference?

one is spelled e-c-o-n-o-m-y and the other s-o-c-i-e-t-y
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#69 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-August-17, 18:19

to be fair Biden presents the otherside that the economy and wall street should be in shackels.

romney says unshackel wall street.

I think this is a good political discussion to have, keep wall street and the banks in chains or not.

#70 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-18, 16:42

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-15, 14:12, said:

Because corporations are "things" and so they don't "pay". If you tax a corporation, it is people somewhere who are paying. Either the consumer in higher prices, or the employees in lower wages, or the owner in lower profits. If you tax a corporation one of these three groups is paying. So why not tax them directly? I am arguing that you should set up your tax law in such a way that people get taxed.

Moreover, we have no idea who pays for corporation tax in general. Is it a tax on rich people or poor people? How can we decide how redistributive a tax system is when we have no idea who is paying one of the major taxes?

Also, your example cannot possibly be true. But even if it is mostly true, in the sense that he pays much less than the legislature intended, it only tells you that you should be rewriting your income tax law. Finally, you are assuming that the rich guy is the one who loses from corporation tax. It could very well be that it is actually his tenants who are paying the tax through higher rents. Corporation tax incidence is very complicated.

Well, corporations "earn" so why shouldn't they pay taxes just as people who "earn" pay taxes? It seems to me to be far clearer about who is paying and for what if the corporations are taxed..then people have the choice whether or not to contribute part of what they "earn" to the corporation's bottom line. Otherwise who knows where the taxes paid are going, lord knows much of the time it isn't anywhere people would normally choose to have their taxes go. Governments have all had and continue to have corruption scandals and suchlike. They also already bail out corporations with taxpayer money but at least now the taxpayer KNOWS that their taxes are going to benefit banks and big business. Why make it easier for them to hide such activities?

Also seems to me that the more you tax people rather than corporations, the more you limit the ability of people to start and run businesses. I would guess that that isn't high on the list of priorities for governments oriented toward "bigger is better" and "global economy" but I read somewhere a long time ago (but it stuck in my mind) that the period of time with the lowest taxation for the middle class corresponds to the period of the most active development of the economy in terms of businesses starting/employment and so forth. Problem is that now there are so many regulations (many put in place because big business misbehaved but applied to small businesses even when it isn't appropriate), it costs so much to start up a business and it's pretty tough for a small business to compete with the big players, who have the sympathetic ear of governments everywhere.

As someone said to me recently, there are too many people in the government (from municipal on up to federal) in charge of "making people sad" for trying to do anything.

Now you have the mega businesses such as Walmart driving 3 generation family businesses to close their doors permanently just by announcing they are moving into an area. As far as I can see, the wholesale pandering to megabusinesses is turning the general population into a society of workers rather than entrepeneurs with all of the fallout that entails. It's a sort of 22nd century feudalism situation but the "lords" (corporations) clearly most often feeling no responsibility for the workers at all, but only to the bottom line and the shareholders.

It's what leads corporations to go to set up sweat shops for child labour in 3rd world countries, or dump their toxic wastes there, or cut corners on materials/upkeep which leads to toxic spills, or give as few as possible of their workers full time work so they don't have to pay any benefits such as health care or pensions, or to fire/downsize an older worker who is approaching retirement or may have health issues.

In an industry I once worked in, it was common knowlege that if anyone ever used workman's compensation they would be dumped by the company (just no work at the moment, we'll call you) and would not work again for the company once the claim was over, no matter how valid, and no matter how many years they had worked for the company. But of course they weren't fired..that would be illegal, so until word got around people waited to get called to work rather than looking elsewhere, until finances made them desperate and they had to go elsewhere.

It's what allows corporations to pay one woman what they pay men and all other women get much lower wages doing the same job. As long as ONE woman has parity, 1000 others could get paid half of what men earn and the company is within the letter of the law. I don't know about the States but that is certainly true in Canada. Given that stats say women earn less in the States it appears to be true there as well.

We now commonly have the situation where workers take rollbacks for a number of years to help corporations deal with the results of their own mismanagement, often also subsidising such businesses as the auto industry with taxpayer dollars. The companies take the taxpayer money, turn things around and start to make big profits again. Then if the workers want to benefit from the turnaround that they funded through wage rollbacks and tax dollar forgiveness/subsidies,the companies threaten to take all the jobs elsewhere. Or they just move, once they've milked the taxpayers for everything they can get, and abandon the workforce that kept them in business.

Or as one company did, keep a handful of people temporarilly on the payroll for a couple of months to train the replacement workers in the new country.

And they should pay no taxes? Why on earth not?
a) They are earning money
b) they use the services of the community such as the police, and
c) too often as a result of their activities, whether it be toxic wastes or an abandoned work force, taxpayers are left to deal with the fallout
d) Of course the costs will be passed on to the consumer but then it is his or her CHOICE to buy from BP or Walmart or whatever.

It seems the perfect example of how schizoid govenments are about handling money when it relates to big business when you consider that (to my understanding) tobacco growers are heavilly subsidized with tax dollars even as the tobacco companies are being taken to court and zapped with fines for selling the stuff. Great for lawyers, I suppose. It may be that the government figures it makes more money back in fines than the subsidies, but if all the hoopla is true, then we are paying much much more in such things as medical care than the fines could ever hope to approach. Why not do the simpler thing and subsidize the tobacco farmers ONCE to switch to another crop such as hemp? :P

As far as the guy paying no income tax, of course I have not seen his tax returns and am going by what he claims. I think the way he did it was to have everything owned by the various companies..e.g. the vehicles by the car dealership, the house was on a horse farm (very common for lawyers and such to have a "farm" to avoid taxes here). The stables/arena area were.. much nicer than many peoples's houses, and included his accountant's office etc.

I know there are people in the States with some authority who are claiming to know how to retire after 20 years or so with well over $100,000 per MONTH, ALL NONtaxable income, if they make certain arrangements having to do with the way the banking system works. The catch is, as is so often the case, you need to have lots of money to be able to set it up. Like the old joke which is too often true, you can only get money if you don't need it.

#71 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-19, 04:07

View Postonoway, on 2012-August-18, 16:42, said:

Well, corporations "earn" so why shouldn't they pay taxes just as people who "earn" pay taxes? It seems to me to be far clearer about who is paying and for what if the corporations are taxed..then people have the choice whether or not to contribute part of what they "earn" to the corporation's bottom line. Otherwise who knows where the taxes paid are going, lord knows much of the time it isn't anywhere people would normally choose to have their taxes go. Governments have all had and continue to have corruption scandals and suchlike. They also already bail out corporations with taxpayer money but at least now the taxpayer KNOWS that their taxes are going to benefit banks and big business. Why make it easier for them to hide such activities?

And they should pay no taxes? Why on earth not?
a) They are earning money
b) they use the services of the community such as the police, and
c) too often as a result of their activities, whether it be toxic wastes or an abandoned work force, taxpayers are left to deal with the fallout
d) Of course the costs will be passed on to the consumer but then it is his or her CHOICE to buy from BP or Walmart or whatever.

If you tax a corporation, the people who pay are either the consumers in higher prices, or the employees in lower salaries, or the shareholders in lower profits. A corporation is just an organisation of people.

If you put a corporation tax on a real estate agency, well it probably applies to all real estate agencies in the area, so they are in competition but at a higher price, and the result is that in reality you are putting a tax on the clients of real estate agencies through higher prices.

On the other hand, a firm like IBM, which makes high value goods in a global market place, is in competition with global firms who will not be paying US corporation tax. In that case it puts them at a competitive disadvantage, and since they cannot change prices (lest they lose market share), they must lower either salaries or profits. In which case you are really taxing dividends or incomes. It is my belief that it is in fact the lowest paid who will bear the brunt of this cost cutting, as they have the skills for which there is least competition.

The practical case against corporation tax is that: (1) corporations are much better at avoiding tax than individuals, both through loopholes, and through lobbying. (2) putting your firms at a disadvantage to foreign firms in low tax areas of the world will incentivise offshoring. (3) The current rules encourage multinationals to invest offshore, rather than in the US, to avoid corporation tax. (4) Virtually any political end in terms of redistribution is better served by raising income tax and VAT taxes. (5) It would instantly cut about ten thousand pages of tax law, devoted to what are and are not business expenses subject to tax credits.

The case against it is: (1) In order to be revenue neutral you would have to have higher marginal tax rates, which might discourage workers. (2) Since no one knows who pays corporation tax, it is often a politically convenient tax to raise. (3) All taxes are somewhat distorionary, so it is often better to have many small taxes than a few larger ones.

#72 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-19, 12:23

My suggestion on corporate taxes:

Abolish corporate taxes as well as taxes on dividends and capital gains on shares.

Replace this by considering all corporate profits the individual income of the shareholders (on a pro rata basis), taxable under their individual income taxes (regardless of whether they have received any of the profit in their own pockets), and a tax (which would be very very small percentage-wise) on financial transactions.

Also - just as discharge of debts under personal bankruptcy is income, discharge of a corporation's debt under bankruptcy should be considered income for the shareholders.

#73 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-August-21, 07:39

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-19, 04:07, said:

incentivise

:lol: Much to my surprise, this "word" is actually in my computer's dictionary. Maybe I should get a new one. :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#74 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 09:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-21, 07:39, said:

:lol: Much to my surprise, this "word" is actually in my computer's dictionary. Maybe I should get a new one. :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it had been in an American English dictionary for a while, it's more recently crept to the UK as well.

#75 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 10:14

If corporate tax is zero...

Suppose I create AWM Inc. with myself as sole owner. My employers treat me as a contractor and transfer all my compensation to AWM and no tax is paid.

Of course, I probably want the money in my own pockets. But there are many ways to do this. I can make sure my workplace is far from my nominal home and AWM provides a comfortable per diem. I can have AWM "loan" me computer equipment, a company car, a cellular phone. The company pays for frequent flights between my workplace and my nominal home, and sends me on business trips to "check out real estate investments" in exotic locales. All of these corporate "perks" and "business expenses" are effectively tax free and could easily reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars in value.

If I need more money from AWM, I just pay out a dividend to myself, taxed at the lower rate for long-term capital gains.

While this may "seem like a scam," real (large) companies do exactly this with executive compensation. No reason it should be legal for a big corporation and not for AWM Inc. Only the corporate tax rate provides defense against this.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#76 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-21, 11:01

View Postawm, on 2012-August-21, 10:14, said:

Suppose I create AWM Inc. with myself as sole owner. My employers treat me as a contractor and transfer all my compensation to AWM and no tax is paid.

Of course, I probably want the money in my own pockets. But there are many ways to do this. I can make sure my workplace is far from my nominal home and AWM provides a comfortable per diem. I can have AWM "loan" me computer equipment, a company car, a cellular phone. The company pays for frequent flights between my workplace and my nominal home, and sends me on business trips to "check out real estate investments" in exotic locales. All of these corporate "perks" and "business expenses" are effectively tax free and could easily reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars in value.

If I need more money from AWM, I just pay out a dividend to myself, taxed at the lower rate for long-term capital gains.

While this may "seem like a scam," real (large) companies do exactly this with executive compensation. No reason it should be legal for a big corporation and not for AWM Inc. Only the corporate tax rate provides defense against this.

Most of these are illegal or don't work in the UK for individual contractors (I was one, worked 140 miles from home and could claim almost nothing for accommodation or travel after the first few months as it was deemed by then to be travel to my normal place of work for which you can't claim, you need multiple simultaneous employers to pull this off), the rules were changed so that you effectively pay NI on dividends from your own company as well.

Some of the equivalent things do however work better for large companies. Like a very famous case where most of an executive's salary is paid direct to his wife who is resident in Monaco. The one that hit the papers here recently was somebody who got his salary paid to a company in a tax haven, who loaned it back to him on a no interest never pay it back basis. Loans don't attract tax. This loophole is being closed. There is talk of a law being brought in to the effect that "if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a duck".

#77 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-August-21, 11:18

Disgusting! It's hard to understand the thinking of those who pull such stuff. People who evade their tax obligations lack decency and good character no matter what schemes they employ.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#78 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 11:19

Even with the corporate tax rates as they are, what AWM, Inc. has set out is both common and works. I would say that at least 25% of my colleagues at my current job are self-employed contractors, working 100% for Company. Remember, all business expenses are tax-deductible, so that's your car, your gas (well, what's used going to work and back), your home office (including the computer that RDPs into client sites when it's not playing Diablo III or movies),...

The more money you have, the better the accountants/tax lawyers you can hire, and the more creative deductions you can take.

Also, dropping the corporate tax rate to zero, (and changing the other taxes to compensate) without *requiring* offsets in compensation, will simply Walmartize. Sure, what customers used to pay as passed-on corporate taxes they now pay as visible income or sales taxes; but their wages will not have gone up, and the product's prices won't go down that much...

Of course, in a free market, competition would drive prices down to a reasonable profit. That's why there are so many laws ensuring that there are barriers to a free market - but only when it's in favour of the company over the customer (or the worker, or the environment). Software Patent Law (and patent law in general, for many things) is so biased in favour of the patenting company in terms of lock time vs development cost that it in itself (remember, almost *everything* has software in it now) makes the requirement to drop prices almost moot.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#79 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 13:07

View Postawm, on 2012-August-21, 10:14, said:

These things do happen, but they are basically examples of badly written law. If your argument is that the law will always be badly written/exploitable, then thats ok. It makes for a whole topic all of its own, but european countries have successfully closed many of these loop holes. Of course, there are still some, but the UK tax law now has what is basically a "spirit of the law" clause, so if the IRS can convince a judge that your scheme has no legitimate purpose other than avoiding properly owed tax, then they can claw it back even if you were within the letter of the law. Not completely sure how I feel about that, but that is current practice.

http://en.wikipedia....amsay_Principle

http://en.wikipedia....rniss_v._Dawson

Think canada has one of these clauses, they call it General Anti-Avoidance something or other, GAAR?

I just prefer to think about these things in purely economic terms, which is not always that practical when it comes to legislating.

#80 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-21, 13:09

View Postmycroft, on 2012-August-21, 11:19, said:

Of course, in a free market, competition would drive prices down to a reasonable profit. That's why there are so many laws ensuring that there are barriers to a free market - but only when it's in favour of the company over the customer (or the worker, or the environment). Software Patent Law (and patent law in general, for many things) is so biased in favour of the patenting company in terms of lock time vs development cost that it in itself (remember, almost *everything* has software in it now) makes the requirement to drop prices almost moot.

There are issues with this in the field of drug patents. It is now so expensive to develop drugs with all the trials that need to be done, that anything you can't patent will not be touched by the drug companies, and it's inhibiting the development of drugs for diseases that may be uncommon in the wealthy world but affect large numbers elsewhere.

Also as the company only has (in the UK) 15 years I think to get its money back before the drug can be made by anybody, the cost of the new drug to the NHS is astronomical if it's not a common disease. The NHS is reluctant to pay more than about £35K a year for a drug, and some new cancer treatments are coming in at more than this. Also supplies of some drugs are running out in the UK, because the French and Germans will pay more for them, but that's another story.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users