BBO Discussion Forums: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-June-20, 22:24

Hi, does anyone have experience with the helicopter tours departing Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, could you
share your experience and recommendations?

Thanks.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-20, 23:20

I don't believe one of them has crashed since 2001. But, I might be wrong.

http://articles.lati...1/news/mn-32921

oops, I was wrong.

http://www.lasvegass...ash-identified/
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-June-20, 23:22

That's a good start(:

It is still less dangerous then being a pedestrian in Nevada
http://www.lasvegass...own-pedestrian/
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-June-21, 05:49

View Postjillybean, on 2012-June-20, 22:24, said:

Hi, does anyone have experience with the helicopter tours departing Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, could you
share your experience and recommendations?

Thanks.

Never done a helicopter tour of the GC, but I've only heard good things (including from relatives). From personal experience, I'd recommend a day or so there if you can swing it (unfortunately, with travel time from LV, this eats a few days up).

When we went a few years ago, we were on a tight timeline. We arrived in the late afternoon (south rim), took the park bus a few stops, took lots of pictures, and when the sun went down we went and rested at the hotel. We got up early, did a morning couple-hour hike into the canyon (not all the way to the bottom, but the views were still excellent -- not for the faint of heart though as it is just switchbacks in a canyon), and hiked back out. We were on the road by late morning/early afternoon (after an unfortunate nail in the tire incident, even), and we hit Vegas before sundown, including a stop for pictures at the Hoover Dam, but no tour or anything.

If you haven't seen it, the GC is incredible, and I highly recommend it. I suspect it's good both by helicopter and not, but there was something about standing at the edge. Maybe someday I'll get to compare the experiences.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-21, 06:22

Sorry, don't know anything about helicopter rides. Just wanted to echo wyman in saying the canyon was amazing, and if you have the time for a multi day trip there, it's definitely worth it. I did a hike from the south ridge to horseshoe mesa down the old copper mine trail. Was just great.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-June-21, 07:22

Definitely include a hike into the canyon if you have time. If you don't, change your plans.
(Obviously don't go too far down if it's just a day hike, especially if you are not very experienced hiking; the combination of much hotter temperature in the canyon than at the rim, and the uphill being at the end, makes it easy to misjudge how much you can do.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-June-21, 09:18

Thanks for the replies, this will be the second trip to the GC for me. The first time I stayed at the North Rim and did some hiking, this time I am taking my parents so hiking is not on the intinerary.
We will be based in Vegas and rather than a long drive to the Canyon to look in over the rim I thought one of the helicopter
tours taking in the Hoover Dam, Lake Mead and a landing in the Canyon would be spectacular. I am also planning a trip to the Zion Canyon/National Park.
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-June-21, 09:22

View Postjillybean, on 2012-June-21, 09:18, said:

Thanks for the replies, this will be the second trip to the GC for me. The first time I stayed at the North Rim and did some hiking, this time I am taking my parents so hiking is not on the intinerary.
We will be based in Vegas and rather than a long drive to the Canyon to look in over the rim I thought one of the helicopter
tours taking in the Hoover Dam, Lake Mead and a landing in the Canyon would be spectacular. I am also planning a trip to the Zion Canyon/National Park.

Awesome, should be a lot of fun. I loved Zion (but I _really_ loved Bryce Canyon for photo ops -- it is unfortunately somewhat further out of your way, though. Perhaps on another trip).
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-21, 09:28

Given your parameters, I'd say the chopper tour is a great idea. Might be expensive, I dunno. Last time I was in that area (the GC) was 40 years ago. Did a chopper tour from the South Rim; it was excellent, took about an hour, and only cost about 50 bucks a head. I guess inflation would make that about 150 now. :lol:

If you want to read about the Grand Canyon, The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher is a fascinating book.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-21, 09:33

View Postjillybean, on 2012-June-21, 09:18, said:

I am also planning a trip to the Zion Canyon/National Park.

We camped at Bryce Canyon a few weeks ago. While Bryce is pretty cool, Zion is simply awesome and I've been there 4-5 times. We drove through Zion and I wished I had more time to stop again. South of LV, we were stuck in 1-15 traffic after the Electric Daisy Carnival that happened to be that weekend :(

Its take longer than you think from Las Vegas, so I would suggest getting an early start.

Zion has the most incredible views you will ever see. Its best if you can hike a little and get above the canyon floor, but there are some 'easy' hikes your parents might like. Probably the Lower Emerald Pools would be best:

http://www.zionnatio...pools-trail.htm

Afterward, you can have lunch at the Lodge, which is close to the trailhead and you don't have to get back on the shuttle bus that is mandatory during the summer.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-June-21, 11:01

Becky and I flew into LV, stayed the night, and drove on to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, several other stops including Hoover Dam. I don't remember the drive as burdensome but others could feel differently. I concur with everyone that the whole trip was stunning. Enjoy!
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users