• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not a done deal?

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-22, 08:06

From the latest minutes of the EBU Selection Committee:

"Sally Bugden [EBU Chairman] reported that the Board had been made aware of a disagreement between the WBF and the EBL regarding a European team who wished to change its country of allegiance to compete in Europe as members of Monaco. Max Bavin pointed out that the rules on eligibility were clear, and this should not be permitted."

I believe Max Bavin is the WBF Chief Tournament Director but he is not on the Credentials Committee of either the WBF or EBL. As both the WBF and EBL are quite secretive bodies, I guess we'll have to wait until the Neapolitan Club tells us what is happening!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-June-22, 15:57

We were discussing this at dinner this evening (amongst 6 british tournament players) and the acronyms "FIFA" and "IOC" were bandied around.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-June-23, 01:29

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-June-22, 15:57, said:

We were discussing this at dinner this evening (amongst 6 british tournament players) and the acronyms "FIFA" and "IOC" were bandied around.

If all of you had not been playing bridge for the last few days you would have included BOA, FA, SFA and WFA as well.

And, you never know, it might soon be IMSA, IOC, WBF, EBU, SBU and WBU in the future as more information about next year's Mind Sports comes out.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 01:35

View Postpaulg, on 2011-June-22, 08:06, said:

As both the WBF and EBL are quite secretive bodies.

This has always bothered me. Aren't these organisations supposed to at least pretend to represent us -- aren't they supposed to answer to us, rather than the other way round?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-June-23, 01:40

From today's bulletin in Poznan. A quote from Pierre Zimmermann:

"I believe all six of us have fulfilled the conditions of residence necessary to represent Monaco in the 2012 WBF World Championships. We all have Monaco citizen cards beginning with residence in December 2010. There is a slight difference in wording between the EBL and WBF regulations on residence which means there is a question mark over our participation in the 2012 EBL event. Obviously we would prefer two years before 2012 to mean 2010, rather than 24 months before June 2012. The oddity is this. The 2012 Europeans are the qualifying event for the 2013 Bermuda Bowl. Can it make sense that we would be eligible for the 2012 WBF event as Monaco but not eligible for the 2013 event?"
The Beer Card

#6 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 02:31

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-June-22, 15:57, said:

Those are of course rude words, but probably not as rude as FIDE.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 03:07

View Postiviehoff, on 2011-June-23, 02:31, said:

AIBA also is in quite a bit of disrepute over the Rob McCracken affair.

Add in the Spanish cycling authorities treatment of Contador it's not a great time to be a governing body.

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-23, 03:39

View Postpaulg, on 2011-June-23, 01:29, said:

And, you never know, it might soon be IMSA, IOC, WBF, EBU, SBU and WBU in the future as more information about next year's Mind Sports comes out.

Well just one and a half weeks ago I asked the president of the EGF and vice-president of the IGF about this and it seems Manchester is definitely not a done deal.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   esmerax 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 06:46

This is for You, Paul

Question mark over Zimmermann's plan

http://neapolitanclu...manns-plan.html

;)

#10 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-June-23, 19:52

View Postiviehoff, on 2011-June-23, 02:31, said:

Can we throw in USCF while we're at it, too?

#11 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-16, 16:40

View Postpaulg, on 2011-June-22, 08:06, said:

From the latest minutes of the EBU Selection Committee:

"Sally Bugden [EBU Chairman] reported that the Board had been made aware of a disagreement between the WBF and the EBL regarding a European team who wished to change its country of allegiance to compete in Europe as members of Monaco. Max Bavin pointed out that the rules on eligibility were clear, and this should not be permitted."

I believe Max Bavin is the WBF Chief Tournament Director but he is not on the Credentials Committee of either the WBF or EBL. As both the WBF and EBL are quite secretive bodies, I guess we'll have to wait until the Neapolitan Club tells us what is happening!

Well, it seems that the EBL has amended its eligibility requirements. See the new EBL rules which include the following explanation.

"In order to comply with the WBF Eligibility Code that applies to WBF Zonal Championships (as European Bridge Teams Championships), the EBL has decided to apply the same rules as WBF for the EBL Eligibility Code."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users