• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spring Fours For all related Chat.

#21 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-07, 17:01

JLOGIC, on 2012-May-07, 13:42, said:

The last seed in this event was Fredrik Nystrom, Wrang, Lambardi, and Ventin? Lol

Our triangle in the Punchbowl [for teams who had lost two of their four matches in the main event] was us, Hinden and Ventin. Sick.

#22 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-07, 17:07

ah the 49 thing makes sense

#23 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-07, 17:16

JLOGIC, on 2012-May-07, 13:48, said:

What is a punchbowl? How does one win this event. Double eliminations and punchbowls, I don't get it lol. Looks like a fun event though.

It's an incredible event. I didn't realise just how good it was until I played the world champs and stuff.

Assuming 64 teams enter -
- 32 board matches, one on Friday evening then two each day.
- You have two lives. Undefeated teams play against each other and once defeated teams playing against each other.
- On Monday morning/afternoon, the "final" of the undefeated pool is played. The winner gets the next match off, through to the semi-finals on Tuesday morning. They also get their choice of oppo and can extend either the semi or the final by 8 boards if necessary.
- The Punchbowl is the first consolation event. If you lose your two lives in the main event within the first four matches, you try to qualify for the quarter-finals of this, which are 16 boards and held on Monday morning. How you qualify depends on precisely when you've gone out of the main event.
- Then there is a swiss is for anyone not in the last 12 of the main event or the last 4 of the Punchbowl.

In practice, there are always fewer than 64 entries, which means the first two matches often become a triangle, with one team going through and the other two becoming "once defeated".

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-May-07, 20:26

In the semi-finals, I'm rooting for John Matheson, Willie Coyle, Victor Silverstone, Tom Townsend, Kitty and Brian Teltscher, who are up against Liggins. Glyn Liggins has won the event four times previously.

The kiss of death, it seems. Glyn won for the fifth time! Congratulations, anyway!

This post has been edited by nige1: 2012-May-09, 05:52

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-08, 06:41

The spring fours is a great event.

We lost to frances by four imps in the triangle, then beat saisoc's team in round three, and then mickyb's team in round 4. In round five we ran into the duffelen team of duffelen, Bakhshi, Verhees, de Wijs and van Prooijen. Sadly three bermuda bowl winners+bakhshi were too much for us. Never really felt like we were in that match, they did everything right, as you would expect. Might put up a few hands later. I guess losing by 50 odd to a team that strong is not an embarrassment.

Still, I had a great deal of fun, and its really the only chance to play strong foreign teams in long matches in the UK calendar.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-May-08, 08:56

How long are the matches

#27 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-08, 09:04

JLOGIC, on 2012-May-08, 08:56, said:

How long are the matches

Generally 32 boards in the Spring Foursomes, but there is an option for the undefeated team to claim an extra 8 boards in the final stages - see p 10 of Programme for details.

#28 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-May-08, 09:11

Apparently I ruled against phil_20686's team (and in favour of Hinden): without my ruling the match would have been tied.

Yesterday, ARF wanted a pen and I had a choice of a boring hotel pen and one of bluejak's pens. Out of a sense of mischief, I gave ARF the bluejak pen, which was met with the expected derisive reaction. To my further amusement, bluejak entered the room just in time to witness the reaction.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#29 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-08, 12:01

dcrc2, on 2012-May-07, 14:57, said:

There were only supposed to be 48 teams playing. This team was accommodated as a late entry.

Yes, they'd flown from Argentina, Sweden & Spain, but had forgotten to enter! We didn't think it would be friendly to send them back.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2012-May-08, 23:12

Danm! I blinked. And missed all the excitement.

Well done to Liggins for clawing back a 29 IMP deficit on invoking his right to an exta 8 hands, in the end to win by an almost comfortable 92 - 78. That must be what, the 6th time that Liggy has won this? Soon they will have to give him the trophy and cast another one.

Shame I was offline for the final 8. Guess I will have to read up on Robson's sob story in The Times over the coming weeks, or maybe Forrester will have some gems to share in the saturday Telegraph.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#31 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 02:44

RMB1, on 2012-May-08, 09:11, said:

Apparently I ruled against phil_20686's team (and in favour of Hinden): without my ruling the match would have been tied.

gordontd had to rule in my match against Rosen, too. This was the result of a misboarding which neither team was responsible for, and resulted in a positive imp score for both teams (one score boosted by a favourable result produced at the table which played the correct hands). Until a separate (UI) ruling was made in the last set, this resulted in a situation where two teams had each won both their matches in a triangle!

#32 User is offline   Phil352 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-09, 03:17

Yesterday, ARF wanted a pen and I had a choice of a boring hotel pen and one of bluejak's pens. Out of a sense of mischief, I gave ARF the bluejak pen, which was met with the expected derisive reaction. To my further amusement, bluejak entered the room just in time to witness the reaction.

The ruling was 100% fair, I was so stunned at partner leaving me in a 3-1 fit at the two level that it completely slipped my mind to tell opponents that my bid didn't show real clubs. It was all the other boards that we'd thrown imps on that we were ruing when we'd lost by just 4.

#33 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 05:40

WellSpyder, on 2012-May-09, 02:44, said:

Until a separate (UI) ruling was made in the last set, this resulted in a situation where two teams had each won both their matches in a triangle!

Fortunately some clever wording in the regulations meant we could have resolved that. :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#34 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-May-09, 07:37

gordontd, on 2012-May-09, 05:40, said:

Fortunately some clever wording in the regulations meant we could have resolved that. :)

I wondered what Rock-paper-scissors was doing in there.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 08:10

paulg, on 2012-May-09, 07:37, said:

I wondered what Rock-paper-scissors was doing in there.

Shouldn't that be rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-May-09, 10:16

Oh nice Liggins had Ben Green on it. Go Ben!

#37 User is offline   ahh 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 16:07

we didnt travel as far as Ventin but 9 hours in a car was enough for me until we started playing. Mickey B and team fantastic opponents hard match played in great spirit De Botton team very gracious in surprise ( for them only :) ) defeat Ventin and team delightful opposition again hard fought match played in great spirit. into the punch bowl qualifier 7 x8 boards against good and varied opposition young old scottish english etc miss punch bowl by 1VP and so into the swiss play more Scots Bulgarians English juniors and finish 3rd
great weekend great bridge great opponents what more can you ask for ?

#38 User is offline   Phil352 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 16:33

ahh, on 2012-May-09, 16:07, said:

we didnt travel as far as Ventin but 9 hours in a car was enough for me until we started playing. Mickey B and team fantastic opponents hard match played in great spirit De Botton team very gracious in surprise ( for them only :) ) defeat Ventin and team delightful opposition again hard fought match played in great spirit. into the punch bowl qualifier 7 x8 boards against good and varied opposition young old scottish english etc miss punch bowl by 1VP and so into the swiss play more Scots Bulgarians English juniors and finish 3rd
great weekend great bridge great opponents what more can you ask for ?

a full stop or two? maybe some commas at a push :D

#39 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-10, 07:34

What a Dastardly thing to do Robin

You paying for the cleaning bill when the ruddy things leak in their pockets :D

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 01:03

blackshoe, on 2012-May-09, 08:10, said:

Or rock-paper-scissors-fire-water balloon.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users