BBO Discussion Forums: Opening out of turn, why so big penalty? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening out of turn, why so big penalty?

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-13, 05:14

The penalty for opening out of turn when someone else is dealer (in case of the bid not being accepted) is to bar one player from making any bids during the full auction. Its hard to think for a bigger penalty to a pair, I think I would rather play wiht my hand exposed to the opponents during bid and play than bar my partner from amking any bids. And that is for something very mundane and without any intention. Why is it so big?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 06:29

It's not that big in all circumstances. If it's RHO's turn to call, then you might not bar partner at all (if RHO passes) or just for one round (if you repeat your denomination). If it's LHO or partner's turn to call, it's more significant because you have put your partner in a position where they are acting with knowledge of your hand that they should not have.

That's not to say that you can't argue against the severity, but the two situations are significantly different. Personally I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who does this, so I can't get too upset about the penalty.

#3 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 08:49

You refer specifically to opening out of turn, but the penalty for bidding out of turn at any other stage of the auction is just the same. It is only in the case of passing out of turn (not a strong pass) that it makes a difference whether it is the initial action in the auction or not.

The laws seem to have powerful remedies against offences which subvert particularly fundamental principles of the game. Thus revokes have powerful penalties, (though they have been watered down over the years), as following suit is a particularly fundamental principle of the game, and it wouldn't do for people to get this wrong so often. Likewise, calling in rotation is a particularly fundamental principle of the game.

Precisely because the penalties for calling out of turn are so draconian, I think it is important to take due account of whether some other irregularity is the cause of it, such as a bidding card left on the table from the previous deal.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 08:52

I think that the mechanics of the game are simple enough that expecting a person to play accordingly is not asking too much.

Next time, bid at your own turn.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:55

What's wrong with the current Law is that it's arbitrary. The effect of barring partner could be nothing at all, or it could be a grand-slam swing. Similar criticsms apply to all the penalties for procedural mistakes, eg cards exposed in the auction, leads out of turn, and revokes.

Luckily now is the time to do something about it: the WBFLC are soliciting opinions about how to change the Laws, so write to them about it:

http://www.bridgebas...ion-from-wbflc/

PS Maybe one of our esteemed moderators should move this thread to the proper forum?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-13, 10:03

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-13, 08:52, said:

I think that the mechanics of the game are simple enough that expecting a person to play accordingly is not asking too much.

Next time, bid at your own turn.

The problem is that the penalty doesn't just affect the player who bid out of turn: it also gives a bonus of random value to their opponents. They may not even want this bonus: personally I prefer to win by thinking better than the opponents, rather than by having one of them prevented from participating in the auction.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-13, 14:44

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-13, 09:55, said:

PS Maybe one of our esteemed moderators should move this thread to the proper forum?

Done.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:21

The trouble with an opening bid out of turn is that in one way you have wrecked the board. Whatever happens, normal play can never be resumed. A big bonus for the opponents? Maybe, but why not: their board has been wrecked and it is not their fault.

It does not matter that the player did not intend to mess the board up: big penalties are a good idea for messing the board up.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-April-23, 16:57

View Postbluejak, on 2012-April-23, 09:21, said:

The trouble with an opening bid out of turn is that in one way you have wrecked the board. Whatever happens, normal play can never be resumed. A big bonus for the opponents? Maybe, but why not: their board has been wrecked and it is not their fault.

It does not matter that the player did not intend to mess the board up: big penalties are a good idea for messing the board up.

Last time this hapened, the player forced to pass all deal had some very strong hand, everyone was in 3NT down 2, so pass out was a top for offending side, what do you think wrecks the board more?

another funny thing was that the board was old, and somehow the dealer was very hard to see. Obviously the rules don't handle this tiny (but important) factors when putting so big penalties.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-23, 17:37

It is incumbent on the Tournament Organizer to provide properly marked boards. If the designation of the dealer is hard to see, that's easily fixed.

As for "the last time this happened", you mean the last time it happened to you, or at least to your knowledge. Bridge is played in a lot more places than just our own private little corners of the world. One incident is not enough to justify changing the laws IMO. And did the TD in your case look at Law 23?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-23, 17:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-23, 17:37, said:

And did the TD in your case look at Law 23?

It seems unlikely that Law 23 was applicable here; it just seems like a "rub of the green" case.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-23, 18:19

Oh, I don't disagree, Stefanie, but it is something that should be considered, even though in many cases it will not apply.

Of course, these "rub of the green" cases show why we have Law 12B2.
--------------------

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-24, 05:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-23, 18:19, said:

Oh, I don't disagree, Stefanie, but it is something that should be considered, even though in many cases it will not apply.

Of course, these "rub of the green" cases show why we have Law 12B2.

In the situation that Fluffy describes (an enforced pass leads to a fortuitous good score for the offenders, and the offender couldn't have known that this might occur), are you saying that you can use 12B2 to take away their good score?

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-24, 07:22

No, I'm saying that 12B2 prevents doing that.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-24, 07:26

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-24, 07:22, said:

No, I'm saying that 12B2 prevents doing that.

OK. Good. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users