BBO Discussion Forums: 2/1 responder's rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 responder's rebid What do you suggest, and why?

#41 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-March-28, 07:41

View Posthan, on 2012-March-28, 01:52, said:

The OP assumes a forcing notrump and an artifical 2D rebid (3+) in the natural bidding forum . . . .

I'm the OP and I don't consider a 2 rebid on a 3-card suit after a forcing 1NT to be artificial, any more than I would consider an opening 1 bid on a 3-card suit to be artificial; it's a standard rebid in a 3-card suit. If you consider it to be artificial, so be it; please don't ascribe that interpretation to me.

The OP . . . points an accusing finger at those who assume that 2D shows 4.

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone; what makes you think that I am? Some have suggested that their agreement is that the 2 rebid promises 4, so I asked what they rebid on 5=3=3=2. Is there something wrong with trying to get a full understanding of their bidding?

That doesn't make sense.

Well, I didn't do it, so if it doesn't make sense, that's fine. I try to avoid doing things that don't make sense. It appears that, here, at least, I have succeeded.

Perhaps the OP thinks that you have to play forcing notrump when you play 2/1 (not true) . . . .

I don't think that. Perhaps you could ask me instead of making assumptions about me.

Perhaps the OP thinks . . . that you have to rebid 2D with a 5332 shape after a forcing notrump (also not true).

I don't think that. Perhaps you could ask me instead of making assumptions about me.

Gnasher and others mention that 2H is the best road to the most likely game, I agree.

That seems reasonable to me.

But somewhere in the middle of the thread the OP has specified that the form of scoring is matchpoints. That makes getting to the best game much less of a consideration, in a majority of the hands we will not have a game. This hand really is not that good.

Forgive me for omitting that detail in the original post. It wasn't intentional. As soon as someone brought it to my attention, I rectified it.

In the style forced upon us by the OP I think that 2H is indeed obvious. In the style where 1NT is not forcing and 2D shows 4 (which is a style that I prefer) there is more to be said for 3D or even pass. Especially with both opponents silent partner is far more likely to have a 5-1-4-3 shape than an 5-3-4-1 shape, and if partner is 5-5 then diamonds is almost certainly better than hearts.

I'd still bid 2H.

I haven't forced anything on you, I simply told you the conditions under which I was playing when this hand arose.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users