• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 card raises

#1 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-05, 06:12

I think this hand really belongs in the novice/intermediate forum but my partner wanted me to post it here so that we would get responses only from 'good' players. I know that many of you will say "It depends on our agreements." My real question is "What do you think most expert 2/1 partnerships play?"

1. Never raise on 3
2. Always on 3
3. Depends on the hand

I am firm option 3 follower and I think most experts are but that remains to be seen. The next question is "What is your rebid here?" BTW we play 'up the line', normally responding in a 4 card diamond suit before a 4 card major.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-05, 06:32

I think this is a good hand for a 3-card raise since a notrump contract is likely to play better in partner's hand. This is especially true if we don't play Walsh so that we "know" that diamonds is our weakest spot. I would not raise if my diamonds were Kx or Jxx. With xx I would certainly do it. This hand is borderline, as would it be with xxx or Qx of diamonds.

But if I haven't discussed how responder can ask for the degree of fit, I try to avoid 3-card raises. Of course I still raise when there really is no alternative. For example KQx-AKxx-x-Jxxxx.

Anyway, I think "everyone" would answer option 3.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:02

Depends on agreement and place in the world.
Some people routinely raise with 3. Some almost never (like Meckwell and Polish pairs). Some only with 5card minor suit (like Italian pairs, it seems to me).
From what I read on this forums I would guess that "American Expert Standard" is to raise with 3 quite often but it's a wild guess.

The hand in question is imo clearcut 1NT. although I like Helene_t point about Walsh, I haven't thought about it.
Still, you need good system after raise to 2S if it's routinely with 3cards and if you start including 4-4-3-2's there it's difficult to handle imo.

If you are looking for advice, mine is: never raise with 3 without 5card minor, that way you will be in world class company and avoid disasters which may easily occur from 3card raises.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:08

Option 3. Clear no on this hand for me. I agree with bluecalm's reasons, but I don't really think there can be disasters from raising on 3 cards.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:12

I prefer styles in which opener has the option to raise to 2M with three card support and do so fairly frequently.

With this hand, I prefer a 1NT rebid.

The hand is quacky. I have lots of slow tricks rather than Aces and Kings.
I have a four card heart suit which will help alot if the opponents decide to lead the unbid major versus NT. (Reverse the holdings in the red suits and I would probably prefer to bid two spades)
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Origami, squash, table tennis, travelling

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:14

It seems likely you will either have an 8-card fit or a weakness on this hand, perhaps both. So I quite like the idea of raising s on this hand because rates to do well either way. Bidding 2 also makes it more likely partner will invite with borderline hands since he 'knows' about our fit, which is a good thing given that this hand is a maximum.

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:14

I checked my database and I was wrong about Italians. While almost all 3card raises are with 5m, there are some 4-4-3-2, for example this one:
QT6 KQT5 43 AQ74 from Versace, which is exactly what Helene_t described (LV don't play Walsh).

Some other examples:
T94 9743 A7 AKQ6
A87 K973 AQT3 95
AK4 AK98 9863 42
QT2 A762 KQJ4 72

All from Lauria-Versace

As to disasters I think, slam bidding is crippled if you don't very detailed agreements in this spot and might result in ridiculous contracts. I will search my db later to find some examples from real experts :)

Btw, if you raise with 3, then:

1m - 1M
2M - 3m should promise 5card major.

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-March-05, 07:46

Hi,

1NT.

If you regular raise with 3 cards and a bal. shape,
you need to have trial bids in place as follow up to
help you to find out, if you have a 8 card fir or not.

The majority of 2/1 players would most likely bid 1NT
with the given hand, but raising is certainly a popular
option, at the number of peoble doing this is growing.

I will do raising with a 5431 shape.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 08:07

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-March-05, 07:12, said:

I prefer styles in which opener has the option to raise to 2M with three card support and do so fairly frequently.

I have a four card heart suit which will help alot if the opponents decide to lead the unbid major versus NT. (Reverse the holdings in the red suits and I would probably prefer to bid two spades)

Actually, good opponents tend to lead diamonds on this auction precisely because we play up the line.

#10 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 08:14

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-05, 07:02, said:

Depends on agreement and place in the world.
Some people routinely raise with 3. Some almost never (like Meckwell and Polish pairs). Some only with 5card minor suit (like Italian pairs, it seems to me).
From what I read on this forums I would guess that "American Expert Standard" is to raise with 3 quite often but it's a wild guess.

The hand in question is imo clearcut 1NT. although I like Helene_t point about Walsh, I haven't thought about it.
Still, you need good system after raise to 2S if it's routinely with 3cards and if you start including 4-4-3-2's there it's difficult to handle imo.

If you are looking for advice, mine is: never raise with 3 without 5card minor, that way you will be in world class company and avoid disasters which may easily occur from 3card raises.

I wasn't really looking for advice but your point of view is certainly welcome. I have never had a disaster raising with 3 but the followups are important and there is no substitute for common sense.

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 09:53

i raise on 3 with unbalanced hands.

with balanced hands i normally rebid 1nt and wait for p to checkback, unless it's particularly rich in As/Ks which are suit cards. In england at least this is a fairly normal style among better players and people play 2M+1 as a shape relay.

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 10:13

option 3 but no problem here so 1NT
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#13 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 12:02

With 3-card support and a side Singleton there is a strong expert consensus to raise. Apparently there are still a few who wouldn't (mostly in Poland it seems) but they are a small minority.

Raising on three with a balanced hand is more controversial. I doubt there are experts who will "always raise" barring some agreement that 1M showed five but otherwise the approaches range from "never" to "only with xx or Ax on the side" to "almost any non-4333."
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#14 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-05, 12:19

option 3 and 1N for me on this collection. I'm in the "only when I have to" camp of option 3, which means when I have a 5431 typically.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 17:44

This is % 100 1 NT rebid for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 20:03

I generally raise only on unbalanced three card support.

Supposing that I did raise on balanced 3 card support; then I do think an important issue has been overlooked: Partner is much more likely to make an aggressive game try after a 2S raise than after a 1N rebid. If you are ashamed of your opener you should tend towards 1N, if your hand is maximal tend towards 2S. This hand is a max in tihs context, and imo that is a good reason to bid 2S at teams.

At MP i bid 1N because I am balanced, and also because its likely the contract in the wk nt fields that I play in.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-05, 21:31

Honor-doubleton, 4432, slow cards. I even have a tenace and a semi-tenace.

Whats not to like about 1N?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 21:56

number 3

this hand 1n

I prefer to raise with (reasonable) 3 card support
when I have a major problem with 1n.
If my hand were say

KJ9 QJxx xx AQJx

I would bid 2s since I have a fairly
serious concern about dia and the 2s
might make it harder for the opps to
find their dia fit if p is min.

I would also bis 2s with the more
distributional hands shown by others.

The downside of the 2s bid is that we
might be closing out the heart suit and
playing in an anti-field 53 fit vs
44 in hearts I prefer to raise with
3 card support sparingly for that reason
alone.

#19 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 21:58

View Postwank, on 2012-March-05, 09:53, said:

i raise on 3 with unbalanced hands.

with balanced hands i normally rebid 1nt and wait for p to checkback, unless it's particularly rich in As/Ks which are suit cards. In London at least this is a fairly normal style among better players and people play 2M+1 as a shape relay.

FYP. The best Manchester players tend to raise on three cards a lot, although that's probably due to 4cM/strong NT influences.

Playing 2/1, I raise on three cards in a balanced hand only when I have a low doubleton.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-05, 22:17

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-March-05, 07:12, said:

I agree with Richard. This hand is a NT rebid. With xx in Ds I would raise to 2M.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users