• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jec #3 board 19

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:06

Just not your day when your opponents have no trouble finding this perfect minor fit game on 23 hcp.

At our table, Barry made the choice of supporting clubs on the second round of bidding, by bidding 2C. I considered bidding over 3, but even then, we would have run out of gas before the five level . After 4th suit forcing there was no way for our opponents to stay out of the game.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:13

Yeah this was unfortunate. The East hand hits a seam in standard bidding, since 1 does not promise an unbalanced hand. Next time clubs won't split or they can manage a trump promotion in spades.

On balance you'd like to be in game and you both went a little low. I can see your hand bidding 3 over two, but pass doesn't seem unreasonable. East's 10 count is perfect - no diamond wastage, fitting spade and the K opposite your Ax.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 11:39

We didn't discuss this auction, but for some reason I had a feeling he was unbalanced. I'll sometimes bypass to bid 1NT and limit my hand, but I didn't know what Ben's style was, and took a gamble. But 10 HCP and only 3 card support caused me to go low. We're playing 4th suit game forcing, and I wasn't good enough for that -- I think it's just barely enough for a 1RF.

3NT also makes because of the favorable clubs, although if they're wrong 3NT goes down a LOT (although you can still hope for favorable hearts to minimize the damage).

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 13:38

rebidding 2 as responder as opposed to 3 is conservative but perfectly reasonable - 4sf non-Gf would be great, but most people don't play that any more.

passing 2 as opener is too conservative - you've got a 9+ card fit. you know partner must be pretty max when the opps haven't bothered to bid, or they're about to protect over 2 anyway.

if either hand avoids the conservative action, the other hand can drive game.

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-04, 06:11

I would bid 1C 1H 1S 2C p also. I guess if 1S promised 5 clubs you could bid 3C maybe, but whatever. Not unreasonable at all.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-04, 08:35

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-March-04, 06:11, said:

I would bid 1C 1H 1S 2C p also. I guess if 1S promised 5 clubs you could bid 3C maybe, but whatever. Not unreasonable at all.

We hadn't discuss the auction, but for me, I only rebid1 with an unbalanced hand.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-04, 11:32

View Postinquiry, on 2012-March-02, 10:06, said:

Just not your day when your opponents have no trouble finding this perfect minor fit game on 23 hcp.

At our table, Barry made the choice of supporting clubs on the second round of bidding, by bidding 2C. I considered bidding over 3, but even then, we would have run out of gas before the five level . After 4th suit forcing there was no way for our opponents to stay out of the game.

At the time I thought this was a really tough hand, still think so.

Add in if you dont play 1s promises 5c and if 2c rebid by responder forces 2d ala XYZ convention.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users