BBO Discussion Forums: Is this clear? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this clear? What would you do?

Poll: Is this clear? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid?

1. Pass (19 votes [86.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

2. Double (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. 4N (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-06, 18:27

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-06, 12:18, said:

I'm surprised there is any chance you'd think that I thought this was an auto pass if I doubled in the ***** finals of the bermuda bowl. Do you think I just got bored and felt like bidding?

Well, the pace of play was fairly slow :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 19:09

Auto 4N (high offense T/O, not 2-suiter).
Have to have action on this 3-suiter.

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 21:13

I am curious---I would like to add something to the
original parameters of the auction. You suspect your
team has fallen far behind. Nothing else has changed.

Would anyone that voted pass now consider x??? I strongly
suspect many would (myself included). I do not know what
the circumstances were in the match you discussed but there
are many things that can change how a person will bid.

15 (10? 5?)hands in a row with nothing but pass makes us all
a bit antsy and we may start to shade things a bit in our
desire to contribute. Thank goodness none of us are robots
because they stink to high heaven. The same thing that seems
to limit artificial intelligence also lends a hand in some of
our inconsistencies.

It is also possible that reading our forums has slightly altered
many of our perceptions on when/how to bid (even if it is at an
unconscious level at best). X may have seemed like a good thing
(but close) and on second thought maybe pass is better. We have
all played with partners that do something (rarely) we find hard
to understand but we dont worry about it if we enjoy our game
overall with that partner.

Bringing up one example of inconsistency seems to say more of the
marvelous consistancy of a player vs how horrid they are. The tone
of this post has managed to become my SECOND vote down. Hopefully
we will get back to discussing ideas again and not posting things
due to having a hissy fit.

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:04

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-06, 12:12, said:

a close decision that might come down to things like how aggressive my opponents preempts are (dutch people)

That's interesting. If they're known to preempt aggressively, how should that affect our decision to intervene?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#25 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 13:05

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-07, 09:04, said:

That's interesting. If they're known to preempt aggressively, how should that affect our decision to intervene?

I would imagine I should double more since they're going down more often and partner is more likely to have a pass. Maybe I am underthinking it?

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 13:25

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-February-06, 17:45, said:

I thought this hand was interesting for a number of reasons.

(1) For Justin to double here is far from standard. When a WC player does something far from standard that is interesting, doubly so when he posts regularly in this forum.

1 is fine but it didn't seem like that was the reason you posted this hand based on you later sying:

PS ill admit I posted it deliberately to lure you in. Was pretty sure this was an auto pass, thought if I put it up and put my vote in as double you would put in a vote for pass. Was disappointed you didnt think it was an auto pass.

Was hoping for a Pass LOL, butyou dont seem to do them any more

If you wanted to ask me why I doubled with a hand like this or generate a discussion on it, that's fine. I know that I double super aggressively in this situation, and I know that my partner for this event had non standard agreemeents on how often he will bid over the double. On this actual hand, he bid with xxxx Axxxx xx xx, I looked it up. I think it's fairly likely that if he has something we can make somehting at the 5 level, or that they will bid 5S over 5 of whatever he bids white/red with a lot of spades, or that they will not be able to double him since they preempt so aggressively. When it goes double all pass that is probably bad for me but it's not a definite disaster. But you didn't really care about any of this.

(2) In the context of the other thread, I was suggesting that most errors are errors of execution, rather than a failure to properly analyse, on this hand I was fairly sure that Justin would suggest that pass is best. If he did then this hand would be the very definition of an error of execution, when what you think is best is different from the action one actually took at the table. This would support the point I was making in the other thread. If he did not that is also interesting, as most top players would pass immediately.

Well, you were wrong weren't you ss I said "I would PROBABLY pass" and it would depend on my partner's tendencies. But even if you were right what would you have gained? You would have learned I made an error of execution at the bridge table. Good job. Do I claim to be perfect or play error free bridge?

It is laughable to me that you think you are so good that you know that most top players would "pass immediately" or that you would be fairly sure that I would think pass was best even when I doubled at the table. Who are you to make that judgement? I am 100 % sure my partner Joe would double with this hand (he is more aggressive than me in this situation). I am 100 % sure that most top pairs do not play double in the same way that we play it, so it's a loaded and flawed question to post it on the forums where standard agreements are assumed, and then when I say I would probably pass and give ther eason partner is passing the double too much, to say that you "got me."

But again, your goal was malicious rather than to actually point out an error of execution. I mean, you can certainly find more errors that I made in the bermuda bowl that are better examples. There was one hand where dummy had Jxx of spades and I had Kx, and LHO led a spade. I knew LHO didn't have AQ so I played low and RHO played the ace and I failed to drop the king needing an entry to dummy. Textbook situation and I messed it up to go down in a game.

(3) In the context of the other thread, I think this is exactly the kind of hand where players are tempted into errors at the table, despite knowing it to be inferior. It is tempting to double. I for one am pretty sure that I would auto double at the table, despite being pretty sure its an inferior action. I'm not sure totally why this happens. I doubt I am alone. The other cases where I find my self commonly at fault with my own better judgement is in penalty doubles, where I make fewer at the table than I advocate in problems, and weakish distributional hands, where I tend to over complete. I have made the error of doubling too light here multiple times, and while it doesnt cost much that often, its annoying.

I am sorry that you are an immature and undisciplined bridge player. To make a bid or play that you know in the moment is inferior is laughably bad and childish. I am sorry to inform you that I do not suffer from that problem ever, let alone in the finals of the bermuda bowl. I mean, do you really think that? I am far from perfect as a bridge player and make plenty of errors, but to know something is wrong and do it anyways? Or to become bored and make a bid for the sake of it in the finals of the bermuda bowl? You have to be kidding me if you're trying to catch me with that.

Finally, I will end with Michael Rosenbergs comments in the bridge world (I got an advanced copy of his writeup for the entire bermuda bowl).

"In the Open Room auction, each player did something interesting. Van Prooijen tried a slightly offbeat opening; Lall was superaggressive because of the void. I would have doubled at favorable vulnerability, but here I would be worried that partner would pass too often. The partnership proved to be in synch when Grue removed with a hand that most would have passed."

#27 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-08, 04:12

Phil, even WC players have wildly different views on the very same subjects. The fact justin dbls on this doesn't mean that much. Any other pair in the field might find this an obvious pass :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users