Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kapln Inversion Experience at the table

#1 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 22:53

Been actually trying out Kaplan Inversion in ACBL Mid-chart events and it's been more of a problem than I anticipated. I've often encountered a simple and very effective defense:1-1-(X) showing spades--fourth hand doubles on crap with spades that would pass 1-1NT forcing. Have others run into similar experiences with KI? I now wonder if the tradeoffs are worth it and I'd like to hear from other more expert players.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 23:13

play 1 blued on a 3-3 fit a few times and the opps will start to behave

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 05:28

View Postmikestar13, on 2012-February-01, 22:53, said:

Been actually trying out Kaplan Inversion in ACBL Mid-chart events and it's been more of a problem than I anticipated. I've often encountered a simple and very effective defense:1-1-(X) showing spades--fourth hand doubles on crap with spades that would pass 1-1NT forcing. Have others run into similar experiences with KI? I now wonder if the tradeoffs are worth it and I'd like to hear from other more expert players.

Played it for a while. Hated it.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 10:57

Played it for quite a while now. Love it.

Getting across the length of the 5 card spade suit in one hit is worth far more than the rare times you get problems. If RHO is going to X 1 to show spades, the chances are he is also going to double a non-KI 1NT to show spades.

I have a regular other partner who does not like KI, and we sometimes find ourselves making the wrong guess when responder has 5.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 11:00

View Postwank, on 2012-February-01, 23:13, said:

play 1 blued on a 3-3 fit a few times and the opps will start to behave

It will be a 4-3 fit on a good day.

#6 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:13

I remember a top player [Martel?] saying he didn't like KI for this reason. I am unconvinced, many bid 1H-P-1N-2S fairly aggressively, and as Wank says, doubling 1S isn't risk free.

Personally, I don't like KI because I think the extra space is more important when responder shows spades than when responder denies spades, although it is somewhat system dependent - KI makes sense if you play Flannery, for example.

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:38

No, KI doesn't play sense when you play Flannery as you don't need it (1 already shows 5 cards).

I play it whilst not playing Flannery and I like it. I really dislike 1 - 1N with 4522 hands.

Times that opponents have used 1 p 1 X to their advantage so far: Zero. Besides if you respond light there is an advantage taking 1NT away from them in the auction 1 - 1N. Opener can bid 2 or even 3 MUCH more often after a 4th seat Dbl (which cannot show a strong NT and both minors at the same time)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:41

I've played it, didn't have that much trouble with it.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 15:24

View PostGerben42, on 2012-February-02, 12:38, said:

No, KI doesn't play sense when you play Flannery as you don't need it (1 already shows 5 cards).

Fair enough, I see you have put more thought into the matter than I have B-)

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 17:26

Most people seem to play over KI that X=takeout of hearts anyways, despite our recommended defense being X=spades, 1N=takeout of hearts (in fact, my partner recommends that, I think having a natural 1N overcall against us is more important). But the same thing applies anyways, it's nice to be able to screw them when they have a natural 1N overcall and you can steal with 1H p 1N in standard. I mean, yes it's a downside of KI, I don't remember losing any boards because of it but it's possible I forgot. I can't imagine it's a huge deal.

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 18:25

Thanks everyone. Perhaps I've run into some opps who are over-conservative with their 2 overcalls in 1-1NTF sequences and it has skewed my results.

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-02, 18:35

The upside of KI are just so huge that even if you did hit a bad run and lose a couple of board you will all win them back in a fairly short time IMO. esp at MP.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#13 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 18:59

I've never played that.
I am curious what is the standard way to bid after 1.
One system I saw is that 1NT is Hxx or four of them and otherwise you bid 2m (or 2D with 2-5-3-3 and 2C natural or strong or w/e). In such system I really don't like bypassing 1NT. I imagine it's not a problem at imps but what about MP's ? Or maybe there are other solutions to this problem ?

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-03, 12:01

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-February-02, 18:59, said:

I've never played that.
I am curious what is the standard way to bid after 1.
One system I saw is that 1NT is Hxx or four of them and otherwise you bid 2m (or 2D with 2-5-3-3 and 2C natural or strong or w/e). In such system I really don't like bypassing 1NT. I imagine it's not a problem at imps but what about MP's ? Or maybe there are other solutions to this problem ?

My way is probably not standard, but I like to ignore minor holdings (playing an artificial 2 anyway), and concentrate on the majors. Similar to yours above, but reverse the NT/ meanings.
1NT = any 12-14 without something to say in the majors
2 = most 15+ hands, those not qualifying for a specific bid > 2
2 = 4 spades
2 = 6 hearts
So I don't bypass 1NT, which is a useful natural bid. Of course it's all a matter of judgement. With a low side suit doubleton and a good Hxx there's nothing to stop you treating it as 4 spades.

Incidentally, you could say that another advantage of KI is that you can play in 1NT more often.

#15 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 14:05

Excellent convention!

Never met a problem after 1-pass-1.

Just make it sure 1 is up to 11 HCP (bidding 2 with a balanced hand containing spades).

#16 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 07:48

View PostPoky, on 2012-February-19, 14:05, said:

Just make it sure 1 is up to 11 HCP (bidding 2 with a balanced hand containing spades).

Are you saying responder initially replies 2 with a 12 count? I am happy to reply 1 with game hands (it is forcing), not just up to 11, and use a possibly artificial 2-bid for the 16+ hands, but the strength limits of your 1 has little bearing on the efficacy of using KI : a worthwhile swap.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users