BBO Discussion Forums: pass, w2 or w3? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pass, w2 or w3? Bidding style of preempts

Poll: To preempt or not to preempt... (36 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

1. pass (12 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 2D, w2 (10 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

3. 3D (14 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Which is your argument?

1. I pass because of only 4 points (1 votes [2.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

2. I pass because of the 7222 distribution (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. I pass because an opening of such kind is not my style (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

4. I pass because my partner later might double opps (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I pass, other argument (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

6. I open 2D because the 7th card compensates the missing points (3 votes [6.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

7. I open 2D because that is what this hand is worth (8 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

8. I open 3D because this puts maximum pressure on opps (11 votes [23.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

9. I open 3D because the information of 7 cards is most important for partner (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

10. I open 3D, other argument (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

11. other argument (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   petterb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-05, 11:25

Opening post says fav vul. Full hand post shows unfav. Quite a difference I'd say...

#22 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2012-January-05, 17:07

Oops, sorry, my mistake: EW vulnerable, NS white. I don't know how to edit properly the diagram :(
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#23 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-05, 21:48

I don't understand your partner's argument either. I'm not sure about the general style in different parts of the world (I'm aware that Americans tend to have far sounder pre empts than we do over here in the UK) but certainly for most players I know a weak two does not promise much in the way of defensive values - indeed, defensive holdings would strongly discourage me from opening a weak two. If my partner doubled a contract because I'd opened a weak two and hence must have some defensive trick(s) I'd kick him under the table!

I am keen to open a weak two on this hand because of the vulnerability and the fact that I have a seventh diamond, which makes up a bit for not having the suit quality I'd normally look for to bid like this. I won't open at the three level because I am in second and opening this will make it very difficult for partner to judge when it is right to bid 3NT over my second seat pre empts (or to take any other action for that matter).

#24 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-06, 06:24

Arguments that seem like nonsense to me:

(1) You do not have enough defence for a weak two.

I have an ace. That is my one defensive trick. It might also help get an early ruff in when partner is short. If Partner doubles needing more than one trick from a weak two to beat a contract he does not have a double. Sure it might be one off when he is expecting two off. Shame.

(2) You lack the playing strength to open a weak two.

I have a A-seventh. Sure, I could h ave a better intermedeates, but even opposite a stiff diamond I will have 5 tricks 67% of the time. That is more than most weak twos have opposite a stiff.

Arguments that do make sense to me:

(1) I like partner to bid 3N opposite a first and second seat 3m.

Thus, I only bid 3m with HHxxxx(x), so that partner, with Hx, can bid game confortable on minimalish hands knowing the minor is coming in.

(2) I have a weak hand with diamonds. I have a bid that shows a weak hand with diamonds. I do not like to pass when I have a bid available that shows my hand.

(3) Pre-empts work best when there is a certain amount of variation. Sure, your hand is hardly classical for a weak two in diamonds. But your opps dont know that, and will treat it like a weak two in the play defence. Better yet, if you open these hands declarers have to consider that you have these hands in the play defence. Both might cause them to err in the bidding or play.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#25 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 06:43

mistake

This post has been edited by fromageGB: 2012-January-06, 06:44

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-06, 23:52

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-January-06, 06:24, said:

Arguments that seem like nonsense to me:

snipped

(2) I have a weak hand with diamonds. I have a bid that shows a weak hand with diamonds. I do not like to pass when I have a bid available that shows my hand.

Uh, which bid would that be? Surely you can't mean 2D as your hand does not resemble anything like a weak 2 in Ds.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-07, 05:50

View Postthe hog, on 2012-January-06, 23:52, said:

Uh, which bid would that be? Surely you can't mean 2D as your hand does not resemble anything like a weak 2 in Ds.

(3) Pre-empts work best when there is a certain amount of variation. Sure, your hand is hardly classical for a weak two in diamonds. But your opps dont know that, and will treat it like a weak two in the play defence. Better yet, if you open these hands declarers have to consider that you have these hands in the play defence. Both might cause them to err in the bidding or play.

The bid that describes - by partnership agreement one hopes - ANY weak hand with long diamonds that cannot be opened 1 or 3 is, by definition, 2. Remember 3 guarantees 2 of the top 3 honours.

Argument(3) is valid, if alerted, explained, and allowed by the governing authority.

#28 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-07, 06:15

Remember 3 guarantees 2 of the top 3 honours.

[/quote]

Eh??? What on earth are you smoking? Where is this written?
You would not open 3D in first, 2nd or third nv vs vul on AJTxxxx ?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#29 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-07, 06:35

View Postthe hog, on 2012-January-07, 06:15, said:

You would not open 3D in first, 2nd or third nv vs vul on AJTxxxx ?

<snip> Arguments that do make sense to me:
(1) I like partner to bid 3N opposite a first and second seat 3m.
Thus, I only bid 3m with HHxxxx(x), so that partner, with Hx, can bid game confortable on minimalish hands knowing the minor is coming in.

Darjeeling, actually, but drinking rather than smoking :D

Hey, they are not my methods, I'm an othodox 3 bidder. I am merely pointing out how Phil seems to guarantee 2 of the top 3 honours with his 3 open, therefore a 7 card suit headed by AJT does not qualify. (Hx with partner would not be enough for a comfortable 3NT.) So that hand has to open 2 it seems. Therefore 2 is extremely wide ranging in both strength and length, as he implies, and has the unsettling effect on opponents that he describes.

#30 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-07, 06:46

View Postthe hog, on 2012-January-07, 06:15, said:

In the bible.

#31 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-January-07, 07:31

For some reason the software will not let me vote, but I chose a pass before seeing the comments or the full deal. I have a question about the success of 3. After 3-pass-pass, would not West reopen with a double?

It seems sort of touch and go as to whether EW will reach 3NT if N passes. 1-1-1NT and then? I guess some Wests would raise to 2NT, I probably would not.
Ken

#32 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-09, 16:37

I voted 3D, because it applies maximum pressure to the opponents when it is their hand, while (somewhat) describing my hand to my partner if he has the big one.

Obviously you are going for a number if you play 3Dx, but honestly, that is not a likely result. I suppose partner might take a 5D sac that goes for 800, but again at equal colors he doesn't rate to be saving too often unless you are on a huge fit.

Most of the other results rate to be in your favor. If partner bids 3NT with Kx of Diamonds, you have a 50-50 shot (ditto for any doubleton if he can stop some suits). If he bids it with Kxx, you are in 3NT when you might otherwise not be. You have successfully warned him off of overbidding a big hand with no diamond fit.

And of course your opponents will have a much harder time when it is their hand.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users