Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

psyche?

#1 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-18, 13:36

A few questions about this mess. East frequently will not have his bid at this vul.
1. Would you act with south over 1NT?
2. Does North's 2 bid say something definite about his values? Is there some threshold over which he should pass the redouble?
3. Would you act with South over 2?
4. Do you act over 2?

edit: I think Frances is right - I shouldn't have mentioned "psyche". Assume RHO's 1NT was alerted as "very wide ranging, 0-10" - what would you do with this hand? If this hand is not strong enough to act over 1NT, how much stronger would it have to be?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-18, 14:31

I see no indication that anyone has psyched. East's action is consistent with a minimum response...while it is possible that he is very light, it remains no more than a possibility.

West certainly won't be psyching his redouble, since it invites responder to begin doubling us.

We have zero reason to bid: to the point that thinking about anything other than pass is an overbid.

I suspect that opener and we could make beautiful music together.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-November-18, 16:02

1. No
2. No. It said he was confident about playing in clubs; he would bid with a balanced hand
3. No.
4. No.

You've titled the thread 'psyche?' - I'm not sure who you are suggesting might have psyched... it seems fairly clear that opener hasn't; and responder can't have psyched to our knowledge, because you haven't told us what 1NT means other than 'semi-forcing' (my semi-forcing 1NT responses are alerted and describe as 'could be very weak' if asked)

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-18, 16:05

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-18, 14:31, said:

I see no indication that anyone has psyched. East's action is consistent with a minimum response...while it is possible that he is very light, it remains no more than a possibility.

West certainly won't be psyching his redouble, since it invites responder to begin doubling us.

We have zero reason to bid: to the point that thinking about anything other than pass is an overbid.

I suspect that opener and we could make beautiful music together.

You did notice that opener was playing precision?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-18, 16:27

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-November-18, 16:02, said:

You've titled the thread 'psyche?' - I'm not sure who you are suggesting might have psyched... it seems fairly clear that opener hasn't; and responder can't have psyched to our knowledge, because you haven't told us what 1NT means other than 'semi-forcing' (my semi-forcing 1NT responses are alerted and describe as 'could be very weak' if asked)

Sorry, bad title and bad description. This was a home game and RHO is a regular. His style is such that 1NT is very wide-ranging at this vul (0-10 or so). So I guess my question should be: what should I do against a wide-ranging semi-forcing 1NT with a strong balanced hand like this one?
Also edited the original post.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-18, 16:51

View Postpooltuna, on 2011-November-18, 16:05, said:

You did notice that opener was playing precision?

no ;)

However, presumably he is showing a maximum so nothing really changes
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-18, 20:39

1. seems wrong becasue we x over 1n which is fine.
2. after the xx 2c by p promises nothing but the bid
is essentially ignoring the xx and choosing what
p thinks is the best place opposite your minimum tox
and game seems a longgggggg way off. Pass is fine
3. P can bid 3c with extra values so 2c range is probably
btn 0 and 8 but it wont be as good as say xx xxx xx KQJxxx.
4. While indeed p could be zero xx xxx xxx xxxxx they are far
more likely to have a little something in clubs since opps
have made no attempt to reach game. Bidding 3c now might just
push opps to unmakeable 3 level contract. Leaving them in
2d seems cowardly with such a nice hand.

#8 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-19, 04:09

View Postquiddity, on 2011-November-18, 13:36, said:

A few questions about this mess. East frequently will not have his bid at this vul.
1. Would you act with south over 1NT?
2. Does North's 2 bid say something definite about his values? Is there some threshold over which he should pass the redouble?
3. Would you act with South over 2?
4. Do you act over 2?

edit: I think Frances is right - I shouldn't have mentioned "psyche". Assume RHO's 1NT was alerted as "very wide ranging, 0-10" - what would you do with this hand? If this hand is not strong enough to act over 1NT, how much stronger would it have to be?

1. I dont think we have a chance at game if partner could not act over 1, but I dont have a good lead, so I double hoping that partner will bid and I get a lead indication.
2. From his point of view your double is t/o of hearts (as solid as you play it in this vul), so he cant really leave the xx, unless he has hearts and ~10+ HCP, which you know he doesnt.
The way I think most people play, that if partner passes it does not indicate values, it indicates no clear suit preference. 2 shows clear preference for .
3. No.
4. No way.
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 06:03

Wow @ not acting over 1N. Seems like an easy way to get stolen from and miss a vul game routinely.

#10 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-21, 22:44

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-November-20, 06:03, said:

Wow @ not acting over 1N. Seems like an easy way to get stolen from and miss a vul game routinely.

1. Agreed I'm bidding here every time.
2. yes it should show 5, he passes with no clear suit to run (or good HCP's say 7+), we can bid the lowest of our 4-4's
3. No I'm a fraction light for 2nt, a club short from bidding 3c now, I think game is off now as pards is probably 0-6 and 5+
4. Yes, I expect 3 to have chances as long as pards has 5, maybe both 3 and 2 make.

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-November-21, 23:30

I would double and I would raise to 3C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-22, 01:14

What fun if pard passes the XX with no clear direction, since you also have no clear direction. Pard took out the takeout double; I wouldn't read anything into it other than that. You might have an inference on this particular hand that pard has five clubs because of the number of hearts you hold; but don't bet on it.

Our side seems to have about half the deck, and that half is all right here. No need to do anything else over 2C.

Regarding the possibility of someone having psyched the opening or the response: in this particular case the best way to expose that would be for doubler's partner to bid whatever suit at whatever level advancing the t/o as he normally would.

A hand with decent values and no clear direction could pass and thereby expose the psyche.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users