• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO News Threads

#1 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-20, 10:20

Most of the time BBO news threads touch on somewhat informative topics or "human interest" stuff which never really piques my interest, but I see how some people might want to read that sort of thing.

Today I saw this:
http://webutil.bridg...etch.php?id=722

This made me LOL. Who picks the bridge related content for this stuff? How on Earth was this one chosen? There must be a few dozen more interesting threads on the forums within the last week that could have been linked to rather than this (imo) misguided and result-driven pet-treatment suggestion.

The median level of play and bidding on BBO is not that high. If we are going to have convention write-ups in the BBO news, why not actually try to focus on some stuff that comes up reasonably often and is frequently abused or misunderstood...

This post has been edited by matmat: 2011-July-20, 14:03

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-20, 11:32

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-20, 10:20, said:

Most of the time BBO news threads touch on somewhat informative topics or "human interest" stuff which never really piques my interest, but I see how some people might want to read that sort of thing.

Today I saw this:
http://webutil.bridg...etch.php?id=722

This made me LOL. Who picks the bridge related content for this stuff? How on Earth was this one chosen? There must be a few dozen more interesting threads on the forums within the last week that could have been linked to rather than this (imo) misguided and result-driven pet-treatment suggestion.

The median level of play and bidding on BBO is not that high. If we are going to have convention write-ups in the BBO news, why not actually focus on trying to focus on some stuff that comes up reasonably often and is frequently abused or misunderstood...

It's a hand sent by a BBOer to Support. We encourage people to send us hands and their opinions, then we leave the discussion open by allowing everyone to comment at the end of the article. Anyone can submit hands BTW, there's no pet treatment.

#3 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-20, 13:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-July-20, 11:32, said:

It's a hand sent by a BBOer to Support. We encourage people to send us hands and their opinions, then we leave the discussion open by allowing everyone to comment at the end of the article. Anyone can submit hands BTW, there's no pet treatment.

i mean that the convention is obviously someone's pet method.

seems odd to be encouraging people to send things like this to support@ instead of nudging them in the direction of BBF.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-20, 13:45

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-20, 13:38, said:

i mean that the convention is obviously someone's pet method.

seems odd to be encouraging people to send things like this to support@ instead of nudging them in the direction of BBF.

True, we were tempted to send them to the BBF actually. But the guy did submit it via "send us your hand" so we gave it a try. He can see from the commentaries that there's no need to invent new conventions, I think. Also, the hand itself was not bad for a discussion.

#5 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-July-20, 14:33

i agree that the submission should be sent this way, and the bbo news left for celebrities and known experts
the rest of us can have the social stories
the rule of 20 is some lol method , god forbid the rank and file gets even more encouragement from it.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-20, 15:37

into each life some rain must fall B-)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-20, 16:01

View Postbabalu1997, on 2011-July-20, 14:33, said:

... the rule of 20 is some lol method , god forbid the rank and file gets even more encouragement from it
We think it's a useful rule of thumb that encourages us to to allow for shape as well as high cards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users