Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please help! Looking for some old bridge bulletins

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-03, 21:03

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. From the descriptions given of each one, this one looked the closest. Anyways, I was recently given a big stack of old ACBL Bridge Bulletins (1999-2002). I have found many good articles, however I am missing a few and would like to somehow get a hold of them. The ones I am looking for (at least for now) are December 1999, January 2000, February 2000, and July 2000. If anybody could send me these, please message me and I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you can't or aren't willing to part with them, if you could make photocopies of a few articles, that would be just as much appreciated. The articles I would be looking for are Natural Precision Bidding by Rick Brown, The Notrump Zone by Danny Kleinman, and Bidding to Play by Frank Stewart. Thanks for your time!

-Chase B.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-04, 17:29

I was going to suggest the online Bulletin, but I see it only goes back to 2005. This page has a list of indices back to 1999, and an email link to the Bulletin office, who might be able to help find a source.

Added: Natural Precision and The Notrump Zone have been published as books by the respective authors. Presumably they're expansions on the Bulletin articles. Dunno whether they're still in print but you can check Amazon or Baron-Barclay. I don't know if Stewart turned his "Bidding to Play" articles into a book.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-July-04, 17:37

View Postchasetb, on 2011-July-03, 21:03, said:

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. From the descriptions given of each one, this one looked the closest. Anyways, I was recently given a big stack of old ACBL Bridge Bulletins (1999-2002). I have found many good articles, however I am missing a few and would like to somehow get a hold of them. The ones I am looking for (at least for now) are December 1999, January 2000, February 2000, and July 2000. If anybody could send me these, please message me and I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you can't or aren't willing to part with them, if you could make photocopies of a few articles, that would be just as much appreciated. The articles I would be looking for are Natural Precision Bidding by Rick Brown, The Notrump Zone by Danny Kleinman, and Bidding to Play by Frank Stewart. Thanks for your time!

-Chase B.

Danny kleimman published a book with his collection of articles, the No trump Zone
it is for sale at the acbl website

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#4 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 13:38

View Postchasetb, on 2011-July-03, 21:03, said:

-Chase B.

I have all of those except, for some unknown reason, July 2000. In the context of our bridge magazine collection, they aren't remotely "old" :). I only have one copy of each, however, having somehow convinced my husband that we could toss our extras a few years ago. I'd be happy to send them to you if you are willing to return them after you have read or copied the articles you are interested in.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#5 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 15:56

View PostJanM, on 2011-July-05, 13:38, said:

I have all of those except, for some unknown reason, July 2000. In the context of our bridge magazine collection, they aren't remotely "old" :). I only have one copy of each, however, having somehow convinced my husband that we could toss our extras a few years ago. I'd be happy to send them to you if you are willing to return them after you have read or copied the articles you are interested in.

:lol: An often missed effect of the Y2K bug was that there was no July in the year 2000. It is only those people who save old magazines that notice this. Because of the bug we were all blissfully unaware that there had been no July that year. :P

#6 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 17:30

I gave everyone an upvote for being helpful and for having useful information (except for jh51, but as I did several articles about y2k for my school's newspaper when I was 12, I enjoyed the comment).

I know that both The Notrump Zone and Natural Precision Bidding are sold by Baron Barclay new and Amazon new/used, but being a poor college student and having most of the articles, I was just looking for those few specific ones. Since the ACBL did ship these out for free (provided you were a paid member), I don't feel that this would be stealing, unlike file-sharing programs and software that can download videos from YouTube, which is clearly stealing, illegal, and immoral when used against the publisher's wishes.

Jan, I promise I would return them to you. What would be the best way to give you my contact information? On a side note, if what bridgewinners.com says is true, then I will definitely have to pull for the Fleisher team to win the upcoming Bermuda Bowl; I'm torn between Fleisher and Bathurst winning at the present.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#7 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 17:56

After sending a pm, I noticed your signature lines and that reminded me, happily, of the 1985 Bermuda Bowl, when Freddie Sheinwold was NPC for Chip's first Bermuda Bowl win.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users