• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stop Card regulations an idea

#61 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-08, 02:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-07, 19:29, said:

Yes, I understand your regulation, Sven. Ours here is different. In other jurisdictions it may be something else again. We are not going to get the same regulation everywhere, nor (probably) should we strive for that (sorry, Nigel). I get a sense, though, that North Americans are unlike Norwegians in that it seems there's a lot more "I don't care what the regulation says, I'll do what I want" here. Given that attitude, I don't suppose it really matters what the regulation says. :ph34r: <_<

If that attitude prevails I sure agree with you, but at the same time I feel sorry for you. :unsure:

#62 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-08, 02:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-07, 19:29, said:

North Americans are unlike Norwegians in that it seems there's a lot more "I don't care what the regulation says, I'll do what I want" here. Given that attitude, I don't suppose it really matters what the regulation says. :ph34r: <_<

Enforcement?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#63 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-08, 10:16

Enforcement how? It wouldn't occur to a club level TD to issue a PP for failure to provide a claim statement - they just don't issue PPs. A tournament TD might consider it, but the law says "should", so he almost certainly wouldn't do it. As for other situations, I suppose it depends on the situation, and the TD.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#64 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2011-August-08, 15:05

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-08, 10:16, said:

Enforcement how? It wouldn't occur to a club level TD to issue a PP for failure to provide a claim statement - they just don't issue PPs. A tournament TD might consider it, but the law says "should", so he almost certainly wouldn't do it. As for omeasurement of the delay is left to LHO.ther situations, I suppose it depends on the situation, and the TD.

I have been thinking. . . . .
With your regulation I believe the only time I would rule rectification because of failure to comply with your STOP regulation is when the skip bidder flashes the stop card (or says "STOP") and his LHO (demonstrably) calls without any pause at all. (When the skip bidder fails to flash (or say) STOP I would not adjust even on an immediate call from LHO.)

PPs are definitely out of question (at least when I rule in such cases), and so are rectifications whenever LHO has at least some delay before calling. We all know that 10 seconds on a stop watch feels like a tremendously long time, so any (demonstrable) pause will IMHO do when timing the delay is left to LHO.

#65 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-08, 21:17

Back in the day, my regular partner was a nurse. We had a director call at our table where the opponents insisted that I had hesitated for much longer than ten seconds after a skip bid. My partner sided with the opps. On the way home after the game I asked her about that. "I'm a nurse," she said, "I know what ten seconds is." So I gave her my watch, with the stopwatch function. She timed my "ten seconds". I took the watch back and timed hers. Mine was 11, hers was 15. B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#66 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-09, 00:38

Probably because you know the Beatles trick, she didn't. :)

But if she thinks that 10 seconds is 15 seconds, and she thought you hesitated even longer than that, then it was presumably closer to 20 seconds. Your argument would only have worked out if she underestimated how long 10 seconds is. I suspect that's more common -- 10 seconds is a pretty long time, especially when you're not doing anything (my DVR has a 7-second instand replay, it always goes back further than I really wanted).

#67 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-August-09, 06:03

I sing to myself:

Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy birthday dear David,
happy birthday to you.

That takes ten seconds so long as do not use a long drawn out David.

If I know the opponents' names I usually sing it to one of them.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#68 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-09, 07:16

View Postbluejak, on 2011-August-09, 06:03, said:

I sing to myself:

The normal procedure when I display the stop card is that I read the directions on the back slowly after making my bid while holding it out in front of me. About half way through this, my LHO makes their call. I then wait another couple of seconds to try and make the point, but by then the auction has usually got back to me, so I put the stop card away again.

#69 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-09, 07:53

"Skip bid, please wait." <make skip bid> <0.43 second pause, followed by call> "Do you agree your partner has broken tempo?" "Huh? Of course not!" Presumably this will be followed by a futile director call.

I don't play in high level bridge, I'm concerned with what the LOLs at clubs do. They break tempo, they make extraneous remarks, they use inferences gained from such actions by their partner. They don't do it on purpose, they do it because they're obliviots. I suppose I could crusade to change them all, but it doesn't seem like a very good use of my time and effort. Yes, perhaps some cheats slip through the cracks. That's life.
--------------------

#70 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-09, 08:13

View Postmjj29, on 2011-August-09, 07:16, said:

The normal procedure when I display the stop card is that I read the directions on the back slowly after making my bid while holding it out in front of me. About half way through this, my LHO makes their call. I then wait another couple of seconds to try and make the point, but by then the auction has usually got back to me, so I put the stop card away again.

The truth of the matter is that BA’s do not encourage players to develop good tempo [consistent tempo of bidding, of play [not necessarily the same pace] that covers about 90% of one’s actions]. Actually, my impression is that BA’s vigorously avoid encouraging the development of good tempo ostensibly on the premise that if nasty L16/L12 penalties are not enough incentive, then becoming the bad guy messenger is not worth it. To be clear, teaching players this skill is an important function of the Bridge Authority and it is remiss in neglecting this important duty.

Now, what appears to be unnoticed is that the value of the skip bid pause is not realized unless most players have good tempo. Think about it- if players have bad tempo then what is to be gained by providing a consistent pause? The best I can think of is a false sense of accomplishment.

I have actively studied tempo and its effects for nearly 20 years- and have thereby come to many conclusions. To a great extent, typically the dominate proportion of time of the auction is spent trying to figure out what partner’s UI means. I have found that ‘a speed pass’ by dealer can add 3 minutes to an auction because partner has so much UI to process from it….-and this gives dealer so much UI to process from his partner- thereby feeding off itself. There is much to be gained from a mandatory pause prior to the auction. I personally have started thousands of rounds 5 minutes and more behind and invariably finish early by using the technique of not making my first call until all players [at least] appear ready [there is a recent thread about the speed bidder OOT that didn’t wait for the dealer to inspect their hand]. Since everybody has less [unauthorized] data to process they are focusing only on authorized data [being considerably less difficult to process] they are better focused to play well, and at a considerably faster pace.

Does mjj play bridge? No, he reads little cards while Rome burns. To wit- the skip bid demand destroys the benefits of the skip bid pause.

#71 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-09, 15:54

View Postbluejak, on 2011-August-09, 06:03, said:

I sing to myself:

Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy birthday dear David,
happy birthday to you.

That takes ten seconds so long as do not use a long drawn out David.

OK, but what do you do on the other 364 days of the year?

#72 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-10, 04:18

If I know the opponents' names I usually sing it to one of them.

Would this not be showing demonstrable indifference to the stop regulation? If you play against me I would rather you called quickly after a "stop" than sang to me! B-)

I played in a ACBL national for over a week recently in all sorts of games and came across no home grown player who used the stop card or said "skip bid" but
a. if you did they generally respected it
b. I found no problems with their tempo at all (which, to be honest, surprised me a bit)

#73 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-10, 06:26

In case anyone is ever tempted to serenade me at the bridge table, I'd like to make it clear that it would be a breach of law 74A2.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#74 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-10, 18:39

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-09, 07:53, said:

I don't play in high level bridge, I'm concerned with what the LOLs at clubs do. They break tempo, they make extraneous remarks, they use inferences gained from such actions by their partner. They don't do it on purpose, they do it because they're obliviots. I suppose I could crusade to change them all, but it doesn't seem like a very good use of my time and effort. Yes, perhaps some cheats slip through the cracks. That's life.

Amen

#75 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-11, 11:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-09, 07:53, said:

I suppose I could crusade to change them all, but it doesn't seem like a very good use of my time and effort. Yes, perhaps some cheats slip through the cracks. That's life.

The old aphorism about trying to teach pigs to sing comes to mind.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users