BBO Discussion Forums: Forcing? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing? Acol

Poll: Forcing? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this forcing?

1. Yes, and always was (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Yes but it wasn't in the stone age (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Depends on agreements (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

4. Not forcing at matchpoints (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No (10 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-22, 03:30

Playing English Acol, uncontested:
1-2
3-3
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-22, 05:26

Back in my Acol days this was not forcing, but maybe that was the stone age.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-22, 05:37

So far as I know, the first person to discuss this sequence in print was Crowhurst, in Precision Bidding in Acol (1974). He said it was non-forcing, I think.

Playing a strong notrump, it should clearly be forcing. You wouldn't want to play a 4-3 fit at the three-level, so with a 4-card suit and a 12-count opener would have to bid. If he has to bid game with his most unsuitable hand, we should be happy for him to bid with more suitable hands.

Playing a weak notrump, you could play it as non-forcing and invitational: if opener is munimum, he also has a five-card suit, so it's a playable spot. However, that leaves you with a problem when respnder has a game-force and 3-car support.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-April-22, 05:49

Although we would open 1 with 44, we both took this sequence as showing five hearts, i.e. opener would rebid 2NT with a balanced 15+ which is a game force. Yeah I know, this would wrongside some 3NT contracts.

On that basis I thought it should be forcing since opener's hand is narrowly defined in terms of strength. My p meant it as a contract improvement (it was matchpoints).

She had 10 points and found that too strong for an initial 2 bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-April-22, 13:15

No it's not forcing, never has been. Gnasher has given an argument about why it ought to be in some fairly specific circumstances, but the basic principle of Acol is that bids generally aren't forcing.
If you play a style where opener has implied 5 hearts by this sequence, it definitely isn't forcing, it's the way responder shows an invitational hand with 3-card support.

p.s. my Acol-style partner and I have recently agreed to play this as forcing (the idea is that once you have a double fit you may as well bid game) but we believe that is nothing like standard.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-April-22, 13:41

Thanks, Frances. I guess I am still (after a good three years) still not quite integrated in the UK.

There was also this one (not discussed with this partner but with some of the better Acol players in Lancaster):

1-2
2-2NT

which I wasn't sure about but since the auction op to and including 2NT means the same in Acol as in SAYC (ok, 1 and 2 don´t mean the same but after the second round the situation is the same), and since it is forcing in SAYC, I would think it was forcing in Acol also. But yeah, there seems to be a general principle in Acol that bidding an "old" suit without a jump is never forcing.

What do you think? Is 3 non-forcing for better Acol players? In Lancaster they didn't think so.

#7 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-22, 13:52

For full disclosure, I voted is and always was forcing.

Be interested to see any good quality player, recorded hand where this auction was passed.

I've seen people who would pass 3C
(and I had a surprised conversation with them long enough ago to be the stone age).

I've not met the hand that passes 3H in this auction, so far (ignoring the usual result needed).

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-April-22, 14:04

Well people here would open with almost all 11 counts and many ten counts with 54. And respond 2 with most 9-counts. So 3 could certainly be high enough. As it happened, I wasn´t ashamed of my opening but 4 had no play at all and went two off on normal splits.

So I wouldn't say that you can always bid game in this sequence. It is just that I thought it was analogous to

1-1
3-3
where 3, although it is an old suit without a jump and although you could hold hands that would like to bid 3 NF, it is forcing.

#9 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-22, 14:17

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-April-22, 14:04, said:

Well people here would open with almost all 11 counts and many ten counts with 54. And respond 2 with most 9-counts. So 3 could certainly be high enough. As it happened, I wasn´t ashamed of my opening but 4 had no play at all and went two off on normal splits.

So I wouldn't say that you can always bid game in this sequence. It is just that I thought it was analogous to

1-1
3-3
where 3, although it is an old suit without a jump and although you could hold hands that would like to bid 3 NF, it is forcing.

Not sure, that was the point of my conversation with reasonable players about passing 3C.

If 3C says 'I'm minimum, pass with a minimum', these natural limit bid players bid what to move on?

Bear in mind that people in the stone age had their thinking influenced by rubber scoring. That doesn't mean serious players didn't understand MP and IMP scoring.

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-22, 18:07

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-22, 05:37, said:

So far as I know, the first person to discuss this sequence in print was Crowhurst, in Precision Bidding in Acol (1974). He said it was non-forcing, I think.

According to Squire's Theory of Bidding, the sequence 1-2-3-3 is not forcing. I have the second (1979) edition so I don't know if this was in the first edition. Anyway I think it should be forcing but would not be 100% confident of this if undiscussed.

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-April-23, 02:08

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-April-22, 13:41, said:

Thanks, Frances. I guess I am still (after a good three years) still not quite integrated in the UK.

There was also this one (not discussed with this partner but with some of the better Acol players in Lancaster):

1-2
2-2NT

which I wasn't sure about but since the auction op to and including 2NT means the same in Acol as in SAYC (ok, 1 and 2 don´t mean the same but after the second round the situation is the same), and since it is forcing in SAYC, I would think it was forcing in Acol also. But yeah, there seems to be a general principle in Acol that bidding an "old" suit without a jump is never forcing.

What do you think? Is 3 non-forcing for better Acol players? In Lancaster they didn't think so.

That one looks non-forcing to me as well, a weak 6-4. If I had a game force I would bid 3D (fourth suit) over 2NT.
The only slightly odd one is that 1S - 2C - 2D - 2NT - 3S feels forcing now, although similarly it never would have been. With spades and hearts you will always show both suits; with 6 spades and 4 diamonds and a weak hand, you might well not bother to show the diamonds (particularly back in the days when 2D was non-forcing).

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2011-April-23, 02:10

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-April-22, 14:04, said:

1-1
3-3

Well, in old-fashioned Acol that one is non-forcing as well (and I've seen people have this sequence and pass 3S).
You are right that most Acol players nowadays have an agreed exception to the general rule and play this as forcing - but this is an exception to Acol principles, rather than a standard.

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2011-April-23, 02:12

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-April-22, 13:52, said:

For full disclosure, I voted is and always was forcing.

Be interested to see any good quality player, recorded hand where this auction was passed.

I've already said that until very recently I played this sequence as non-forcing. If I tried I could probably find an example from BBO vugraph from the premier league (though I am not going to try).

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-April-23, 02:39

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-April-23, 02:08, said:

That one looks non-forcing to me as well, a weak 6-4. If I had a game force I would bid 3D (fourth suit) over 2NT.
The only slightly odd one is that 1S - 2C - 2D - 2NT - 3S feels forcing now, although similarly it never would have been. With spades and hearts you will always show both suits; with 6 spades and 4 diamonds and a weak hand, you might well not bother to show the diamonds (particularly back in the days when 2D was non-forcing).

Ah right, they use FSF by opener here also. In SA,
1-2
2-2NT
would be natural 5440 (not sure if it is forcing, LOL).

Last week, another partner passed me in
1-2
2-3
which I meant as forcing but presumably I should have bid 3 (FSF) here also. I thought 3 here should show better spades than 3, happy to be raised to 4 on a singleton jack or something. But I could have bid 3 anyway, if he then bid 4 I could bid 4.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-April-23, 02:52

By the way, although I don't like Acol, I can see that it is useful to have these discussions in a partnership because even if you play 2/1, you will be playing something Acol-like after responder makes a 2-level freebid in a suit lower ranking than opener's suit:

1-(2)-2-(pass)
2-a.p.
was a sequence I saw by two GIBs, although the 2 bid was explained as unlimited so the final pass might have been anti-system. I was surprised to see this since it would be forcing in modern Acol so surely it should be forcing in any 2/1 system as well! Lawrence wrote that a 2/1 response over an overcall does not promise a second bid but even so I would expect this to be forcing for all 2/1 players. OTOH there are tons of other auctions, such as the ones discussed in this thread, the forcing character of which I would be unsure of if there had been an overcall in between.

#16 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-23, 04:09

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-April-22, 03:30, said:

Playing English Acol, uncontested:
1-2
3-3

A limit bid would go through 1 3, not worth going through !!!
Bob Herreman

#17 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 04:16

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-April-23, 04:09, said:

A limit bid would go through 1 3, not worth going through !!!

So you want to make a raise to the 3 level with 3 hearts opposite 4 ?

English Acol, this can easily be a 4 card suit for the opener.

#18 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-23, 04:17

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-22, 05:37, said:

Playing a strong notrump, it should clearly be forcing. You wouldn't want to play a 4-3 fit at the three-level, so with a 4-card suit and a 12-count opener would have to bid. If he has to bid game with his most unsuitable hand, we should be happy for him to bid with more suitable hands.

Playing a weak notrump, you could play it as non-forcing and invitational: if opener is munimum, he also has a five-card suit, so it's a playable spot. However, that leaves you with a problem when respnder has a game-force and 3-car support.

please, can you verify Crowhurst..... if non forcing, what were his reasons ?
Stong or weak NT: the inviting goes trough 1 3: no need to mention

Bob Herreman

#19 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-23, 04:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-April-23, 04:16, said:

So you want to make a raise to the 3 level with 3 hearts opposite 4 ?

English Acol, this can easily be a 4 card suit for the opener.

Right !
Indeed, the suggested sequence, is clearly inviting, now that we discovered the 5-3 fit.

Bob Herreman

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-23, 12:56

For a while we played these as forcing based on the double fit but we relatively quickly gave up because we open so light and respond at the two level so light that game was not always a reasonable proposition.

We do play

1 2
3 3

as forcing. In fact it is a cuebid for hearts. We have a general rule after we have found a major suit we don't look for another fit unless we go to slam.

After

1M 2m
3m ...

3M = non force

3other = primarily a NT try but can be an advanced cue usually for the minor

4m = sets trumps and slammish

4om = too good for 4M

4M = to play
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users