• You cannot reply to this topic

Bid the Slam Slam

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-21, 18:14

View PostFluffy, on 2011-April-21, 05:42, said:

Why do people answer 2NT after 4th suit forcing instead of 3NT? is their plan to reopen if partner bids 3Nt over this?

I'd bid 3 nt over 4th sf.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-April-22, 01:48

Perhaps it is time for something new. This is from K Martens book. "Bidding like music. Camofluage, waiting bids". Like I said in my earlier review of this book, there are some new meanings for old auctions. Let's take this specific start.

1 1
2 - ?

He gives a host of bidding options and follow ups on this specific auction. For instance, he plays 2NT by responder as natural, GF. He plays 2 either as an attempt to signoff in 2 or a number of different game invite hands (it IS NOT game force). While 2 is a "transfer" to 2, opener does not have to bid 2 (he gives suggested alternatives.

Then there is the 2 rebid by responder. That is GAME FORCING, with a host of reasonable followups by both opener and responder. On this hand, responder (using this scheme) would rebid 2 (GF), not much different than 2 GF I suspect. Opener with KTx in hearts will bid 2NT and responder will show his diamond support at the three level. NOTE: The 2NT bid denied some minimum opening hand with a heart stopper and "low honors" in which case 3NT would have been the bid.

After the 3 trump agreement, if opener can show the spade king NT will surely be played. I doubt 7 is biddable or even playable (despite the fact that it makes). This thus morphs into the auction that just suggested with 2 substituted for 2 in his auction.
--Ben--

#23 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-23, 01:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-April-21, 01:24, said:

No, 2 is not GF, opener rebids 2 or 2 with 4 F3 but not guaranteeing any extras. The only auctions that can stop below game are ones where opener rebids 3 or responder bids 3, 3M or 2N over opener's 2M rebid.

Playing this in is a lot easier as you can play 1-2-2 as your ask so 1-2-2 is NF, better hands bid 2 and partner bids 4 card majors.

I play this in a context where minors are always 4+ cards, it may be a lot more difficult to handle if your minors are potentially short.

Tx. I typically play minor 3+, but this is interesting :)
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#24 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 01:33

View PostFluffy, on 2011-April-21, 05:42, said:

Why do people answer 2NT after 4th suit forcing instead of 3NT? is their plan to reopen if partner bids 3Nt over this?

Yes you have 16 points, but...your heart stopper is a single one, your single is in and its a K and your partner has just game forced - 2NT gives you much more bidding space and NT is not necessarily the spot. If your partner rebids 3 you would love to start q-bidding.....If partner bids 3NT on 2NT - I do not have enough to reopen. If partner bids 3, 3 etc I will be happy to accept invit.Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#25 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-23, 03:46

View Postdickiegera, on 2011-April-20, 15:03, said:

Diamonds are 2-2
7NT easy

How does one bid it??

Thank yuo

no 3NT is a little chicke, Even on a minum S: x xxx AQXXX AXXX, 3NT could make.

Also N should see that 6 has good possibilites. He has to do something constructive: 4th suit forcing looks like a good start....

And then it will depend on the agreemnts you have with your partner.

Bob Herreman

#26 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 05:24

North's 3NT destroyed the auction. Start with 1D-1S-2C-2H, and see what happens.

#27 User is offline   menggq 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-11, 23:15

first of all 3N bidding was wrong which showed no interesting in SLAM.
1D 1S
2C 2H
2N 3D
3H 4N
5H 6D ALL PASS

2C=minors 54 at least
2H=4TH suit establish GF
2N=hv stoper
3D=confirm cantract and slam interesting otherwise wd bid 3N
3H=3 showed hand partern and slam interesting too if only 12-14p no extra should bid 3N
4N=RKCB for
5H=2 key cards without trump Q
6D=SIGH OFF

#28 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-13, 07:26

View Postdickiegera, on 2011-April-20, 15:03, said:

Diamonds are 2-2
7NT easy

How does one bid it??

Thank yuo

Hi,

How about showing the fit?

Opener showed 5-4 in the minors, I as responder have 17HCP and 4 card support,
I make a forcing raise and start investigating slam.

You have the option of going via 4th suit or bidding 4D, since 3D is nonforcing.
since FSF may safe some room, that is not guranteed, you should go via this route.

South will tel you, that he does have 2Aces, 2Kings, but is missing the Queen of
trumps, and than you can decide, if you go the grand or settle for the small slam.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users